Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac G5: which would you choose? Need your help

Powermac G5: which would you choose? Need your help
herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2004, 01:41 AM

I've been saving for quite a while now for a powermac g5 and now I'm at the point where I am ready to purchase the machine. It's been a real test of my willpower, sacrificing lots of pointless entertainment with friends! I started saving since Jobs announced the g5's in 03! Being a poor college graduate sucks..anyway..

I got a bud who works for Apple and he's not using his computer employee purchase this year so he's letting me use it!! So that's 25% off of a cpu. Here's what I'm looking at.

STOCK config Dual 2.5 setup

vs.

Dual 2.0 w/256mb graphics card.

The Dual 2 w/256vram still ends up being cheaper than the stock Dual 2.5. Would you go with the 2.5 or the 2?

I can't decide between the two..driving me nuts.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 02:02 AM

2.5. You can always upgrade the video card in the future, if it's worth it. I think processor upgrades are a dicier proposition.

paranopete
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 12:20 PM

Well, depends what you want to do with the G5.

Two weeks ago I bought a 2x2Ghz G5 with ATI 9600 XT & 2,5 GB RAM. I am a Broadcast Designer and my work needs really high processor performance (and overall system performance like disc-I/O, ...). I am absolutely satisfied with this machine. My opinion: get the dual 2 Ghz and get extra memory for the rest of you money, or buy a good monitor!
check out: http://loops.pardeike.net

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2004, 01:26 PM

2.5. The 9600XT will be fine unless you're doing heavy Motion work or something like that, and you can upgrade later if you need to.

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
2.5. You can always upgrade the video card in the future, if it's worth it. I think processor upgrades are a dicier proposition.
I agree. Go with the 2.5.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 02:05 PM

I still consider the 2.5 Rev A'ish because of the liquid cooling system, so I'd go for the 2.0, but then that's my opinion

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by d.fine:
I still consider the 2.5 Rev A'ish because of the liquid cooling system, so I'd go for the 2.0, but then that's my opinion
Same here. Even with AppleCare, it'll probably not break for a couple of years. I went with a 2.0.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Eugene Fields
Oct 6, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by discstickers:
Same here. Even with AppleCare, it'll probably not break for a couple of years. I went with a 2.0.
Yeah I was gonna say go with the 2.0 as its a true RevB Unit, the others have RevA type issues with noise etc. My RevB is a Dream.
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

herbsman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 09:23 PM

well i went ahead and ordered the dual 2.5. im so happy but now i have to wait which is the worst part of this whole situation. it's supposed to ship on or before november 15.

in the meantime i will have to use a peecee laptop.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 09:39 PM

I love my rev. A DP2.0, so I can't imagine you'd be any less happy with your 2.5!
Happy computing!

brendonhumphrey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I love my rev. A DP2.0, so I can't imagine you'd be any less happy with your 2.5!
Happy computing!
I initially ordered a stock 2.5. Apple took too long, and my impatience won out. I now have a PM G5-2.0. Very happy with it. Getting the new NVIDIA card - you know, at least with PCs the video card is often key to the performance of the system.

Brendon

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2004, 01:06 PM

If you can wait, I'd go for the fastest processor, as these can't (yet) be upgraded. The graphics card, on the other hand, can... if you find that it causes a problem that is.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 12:34 AM

I am biased, but I say get the 2.5 and upgrade the graphics later. However, my temporary ATI 9600 that I have while waiting for the nv6800 to ship is doing great considering it's the low end for a G5 DP these days...

However, the DP 2.0 is hardly slow by any measure.. so if the cost savings is considerable, you can use it towards a bigger monitor or RAM..

Good luck.. but by all means, get a new G5, their awesome.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules