Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual Displayes? Why?

Dual Displayes? Why?
francois9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 10:56 AM

Hi all.

I have a question about something that fascinates me: The use of two LCD displayes, side-by-side.

I assume it has to do with forkflow or something or so. Please help me to understand this setup.

I know dual displays looks cool, but what is the practical advantages of say, having two 20inc Studio Displayes next to each other?

Thanx.

Francois.
eMac 1.25 GHz/40 GB/768 MB/ComboDrive
-Centurion, South Africa-

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 10:59 AM

when u are working with graphics or even code or web design it is very useful to have a second monitor. You can place other windows that you need to use on the second monitor so u can have maximum work space on the project. Its all about space imo.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

francois9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 11:06 AM

OK, spot quiz

2 x 20" displays side-by-side

or

1 x 30" display

Lets's have some fun!

I'm genuinely interested in this!
eMac 1.25 GHz/40 GB/768 MB/ComboDrive
-Centurion, South Africa-

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 11:11 AM

2 20's. You'd get more viewable area, if i'm not mistaken, and it'd be cheaper.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 11:18 AM

I like dual displays because it allows be to have websites/work on one and AIM, email and calendar on the other.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 11:23 AM

With the new 6800 twin dual-link dvi ports, can't you have 4 20" LCD's?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
ya, the concept of that is crazy. it would be awesome but i don't see any justifible excuse for this. except it looks kool.

flukewurm
Oct 14, 2004, 12:07 PM

DPP = dollar per pixel

1x20" = 1764000 pixels ($1200) - .00068 DPP
2x20" = 3528000 pixels ($2400) - .00068 DPP
1x23" = 2304000 pixels ($1800) - .00078 DPP
2x23" = 4608000 pixels ($3600) - .00078 DPP
1x30" = 4096000 pixels ($3300) - .000805 DPP (note: this DOESNT include the $$ vid card required to feed a 30")

(prices are approximate refurb when available)
( Last edited by flukewurm; Oct 14, 2004 at 12:35 PM. )

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 12:28 PM

The 30" gives more viewing area than the 2x20", but I would prefer 2 displays because that's the way I work. I think that the extra width of 2x20" is worth more to me than the extra height of the 30".

flukewurm
Oct 14, 2004, 12:37 PM

2x20 is the route i plan on taking. its the most $$ conscious. i can live on one 20" for a while. then when the funds come my way adding a second 20" will be a snap.

GIMMIE PIXELS!!!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 12:38 PM

My concept programming desk includes 2 23" monitors hooked up to a G6. Guessing the time frame yet? Yup, many years from now. With the new slim bezels on the new displays, setting 2+ beside each other would be pretty cool. Imagine running 1 30" and 2 20" displays.

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 02:33 PM

When I am programing I like to have 2 (or more displays); that way I can look at more files at the same time (or have a reference web page on one display, or my email on one, etc). Of course, you could fit a lot of that on one 30 inch display, but I have never used one of those, nor do I expect to have the money to any time soon. Even if I had a 30" I think that I could find something to put on the extra display.
-King Rat

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 02:53 PM

It's not uncommon in the finance industry to have 4 monitors per machine.

I've been working in sales for years, and to tell you the truth, 2 monitors would certainly cut down on all of the alt-tabbing I do.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

discstickers
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
That's a common misconception. There's still only 2 DVI ports on the card, but each port can carry 2 DVI signals. This is necessary to drive the 30", because there's not enough bandwidth to drive it off a single DVI signal.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2004, 03:14 PM

For design work, dual displays are also helpful as you can have more pages up at one time. Helpful to see, plus you can keep other apps open without having to minimize or use Expos� all of the time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by discstickers:
That's a common misconception. There's still only 2 DVI ports on the card, but each port can carry 2 DVI signals. This is necessary to drive the 30", because there's not enough bandwidth to drive it off a single DVI signal.
Well if each port carries 2 signals it can be split into 2, no ?

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 04:35 PM

I assume it has to do with forkflow or something or so. Please help me to understand this setup.
Ok, I have two CRTs side by side, but the idea and benefits are the same: more screen real estate.

Typically I will have my mail client open in one window, and a browser in the other. Mail comes in, I can see what it is at a glance without having to have annoying alert or distracting bouncing dock icon.

I can code a web page on one monitor and have have a browser running in the other. I make a change, switch to the browser, reload, and switch back all via the keyboard in a second. The experience is considerably less jarring than using windows that overlay each other. Or, instead of a preview of a page, I might have a web page with a code sample or some documentation. Less clutter on the physical desktop, since I don't have to have clunky books lying around.

For design work with things like Photoshop, dual monitors are a god send. You can have your image full screen on one monitor, and then have all the palettes arrainged on the other. You don't have to cover up part of the image to make a change.

Ultimately it is all about screen real estate. I really miss my dual display set up when I go out to job sites and have to do just about anything.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 06:32 PM

The main reason I got 2 displays (17" and a 15") is for writing. Most journal articles in the sciences are distributed via PDF nowadays. I didn't want to be printing off 20-30 pages per article and I certainly didn't want to have to cmd-tab between the PDF and my paper. When I'm not writing, it's great to have Mail, iTunes, and an RSS news reader on the 15" and do my web surfing on the 17".
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 12:16 AM

i can't imagine working with just one display now...when i am just surfing it's great to have my browser in one screen and mail in the other....when i am working (audio stuff) the more screen space the better....digital performer, reason, moog modular - need to see as much as i can as to what is all going on!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
the more screen space the better....

teh.truth

discstickers
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
You'd probably have to hack into the video driver, but it's probably possible from a technology standpoint.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
they are dual link dvi inputs. so it may not carry 4 signals.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 06:18 PM

More space. Back when I was programming Director movies for CD-ROMs all the developers had dual 15" or a 15" + a 17". There's simply no better way to work IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules