Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PM W/6800 Not Booting G5 OSX Install Disk!

PM W/6800 Not Booting G5 OSX Install Disk!
gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2004, 11:45 PM

OK, I just got a new 10k Hard Drive, and I was going to install a fresh copy of OSX with the G5 OSX Install disk. So I go to boot from the cd, but the computer freezes during startup. I am certain this is because of my Nvidia 6800 Ultra card because when I installed the card, and started the computer without installing the Nvidia drivers, it would freeze just as it is now. So I am going to assume the boot CD's dont have drivers for this card! So what do I do now? I do not have the old ATI 9600 card that came with the G5 anymore, so I cannot put that back in (which is a huge pain anyway). Am I sh*t out of luck with a computer that will not start from the install disk?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
OK, I just got a new 10k Hard Drive, and I was going to install a fresh copy of OSX with the G5 OSX Install disk. So I go to boot from the cd, but the computer freezes during startup. I am certain this is because of my Nvidia 6800 Ultra card because when I installed the card, and started the computer without installing the Nvidia drivers, it would freeze just as it is now. So I am going to assume the boot CD's dont have drivers for this card! So what do I do now? I do not have the old ATI 9600 card that came with the G5 anymore, so I cannot put that back in (which is a huge pain anyway). Am I sh*t out of luck with a computer that will not start from the install disk?
You can call AppleCare and the should sell you an updated CD for $20 under "support related fulfillment."

You are correct in your assessment though -- if you bought the card after the G5 and thus updated drivers and installed it, the CDs you have won't boot the machine with that card in there.

Alternatives are to boot off the old drive, and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the relevant parts to the new CD. Or you could boot of the old drive, and use a tool to create a bootable CD based on your current OS. I don't know the name of the product that does this -- it's listed in this forum, this subject has been discussed here and in Apple's forums many times, you may want to search and see the listed solutions/options.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2004, 10:46 AM

Yell at Apple for being horribly stupid.
You might manage to not have to pay $20 for their mistake. Who knows.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 12:33 PM

Yep, you definitely want to have a talk with Apple. Like this guy Apple gave you a system disk for the G5 PowerMac with Geforece 6800 that won't boot your machine (the system disk doesn't have the drivers for the Geforce 6800). A bit of a screw-up on Apple's part.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2004, 07:41 PM

Cool, thanks for the replies. I am going to call apple, and ask that they give me replacement cd's for free! I did buy an applecare protection plan, so I should not have to pay for the disks. Thanks again!

discstickers
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2004, 08:28 PM

I gotta do that too. What's the number? 1800SOSAPPL?
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules