Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Permanently Enable Q2DX?

Permanently Enable Q2DX?
mrcorwin
Apr 25, 2005, 09:48 AM

How do I do it? Windows and user interface elements are sped up considerable with this enabled. I'm tired of having quartz debug open just to get the acceleration.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:18 AM

Where do you enable it? I only see Enable Quartz Extreme (which is enabled by default) in 8A425.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
Where do you enable it? I only see Enable Quartz Extreme (which is enabled by default) in 8A425.
Under the Tools menu, but it's probably not visible on effete Macs.

CKr
Apr 25, 2005, 11:20 AM

If all else fails, Automator it.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 11:57 AM

enable it, then forcequit Quartz Debug (havent tested if its still on, after a logout, tho)

mrcorwin  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 12:11 PM

Shouldn't there be a plist that I could edit?
And the force quit trick did not work.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 12:24 PM

the force quit trick works just fine, and after a look ive discovered that it changes the variable Quartz2DExtremeEnabled to YES in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

and if you force quit it stays at YES, if you quit normally it changes to NO

so i suppose you could change the plist manually.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 12:31 PM

Are there any noticeable issues with Q2DX turned on?

I'm curious why Apple decided to turn it off, at least for 10.4.0.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Are there any noticeable issues with Q2DX turned on?

I'm curious why Apple decided to turn it off, at least for 10.4.0.
Not sure about what kind of problems it has, but usually if Apple ships something that's "off" by default, it means that it's not ready yet... there will probably be an update that turns it on in the future. I don't think we'll have to wait until 10.5

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 12:46 PM

I'm with you, just curious what those problems are.

mrcorwin  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 12:46 PM

Plist editor made quick work of the toggle. I can definitely tell that it is enabled by default! I have been trying it with many different apps to see if it breaks but it seems to be rock solid. I wonder what the problems could be?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 12:50 PM

Well, with so many people toggling it on, I expect we'll find out soon...

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrcorwin
Plist editor made quick work of the toggle. I can definitely tell that it is enabled by default! I have been trying it with many different apps to see if it breaks but it seems to be rock solid. I wonder what the problems could be?
Perhaps it works fine with some graphic cards but not others?

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Under the Tools menu, but it's probably not visible on effete Macs.
Shouldn't it be visible on a DP2.5GHz Power Mac G5?
( Last edited by JLL; Apr 25, 2005 at 01:41 PM. )
JLL

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
I'm with you, just curious what those problems are.
I noticed that after a while, Safari (the whole window) started "flashing" with some discoloration. Otherwise, I have not noticed any other specific errors or drawing errors, though this was on a late development build. I am sure Apple has good reasons to disable it by default. I am curious however about what glitches people see when Tiger arrives.

PB 1.5 Ghz with ATI Mobility 9700 128Mb VRAM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Perhaps it works fine with some graphic cards but not others?
This would be my expectation. They sounded like it was in pretty good shape a few months ago (on some cards more than others), so I'm guessing it's probably just shy of ready.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 01:46 PM

Enabling Quartz 2D Extreme slows down core-image a ton. Try using the 'fun house' app with it off, then with it on.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

mrcorwin  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 05:05 PM

Until I really use an important app that actually incorporates core image, Q2DE will be enabled on my mac! I'm sure a better card besides my herculean 5200 would make both CI and Q2DX play nicer with each other.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrcorwin
There are some reports on the OS forum that enabling it makes Safari 2 very slow.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 05:45 PM

on xlr8your mac this was posted:

"Dear Mike,
By Default Tiger os x does not enable quartz ("2D") Extreme in 32MB vram Macs which includes Mac Minis, eMacs and iBook G4s. To enable quartz (2D) extreme we follow the usual path to the usual suspect the configuration.plist by the path
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Configuration.plist
then scroll down to this area...you may use BBedit the demo (Lite no longer available?-Mike) version to open the Configuration.plist file if you do not have the full version
<dict>
<key>Quartz2DExtremeEnabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Quartz2DExtremeMinimumVRAM</key>
<integer>64</integer>
<key>Quartz2DExtremeMinimumDRAM</key>
<integer>512</integer>
Change the line under

<key>Quartz2DExtremeMinimumVRAM</key>
(from 64) to
<integer>32</integer>
and as you can read you should have a minumum of 512MB Ram installed on your computer. You could reduce that line integer to a number lower than 512MB but i do not recommend that. Anyhow save there add your root password and then you have quartz extreme 2d enabled. I have checked this with Quartz Extreme check and the display IS enabled on a Mac Mini in Tiger OS X 10.4.
EDIT TO ADD:
Note: Although the reader above said he verified "Quartz Extreme" was enabled in Tiger, a developer wrote to say that the above edit will NOT enable Quartz 2D Extreme for a pre-9600 ATI graphics chip. (The Mac Mini and iBook G4 current models use an ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility for instance. Apple notes for Core graphics support requires a 9600 Radeon or better/Nvidia FX5200 AGP or better as hardware support for the ARB_fragment_program extension is required.)
So my question would be, is Quart Extreme 2D enabled on 64MB cards and up?
How do we check? I can't imagine the UI being any faster here (Dual 2.0 G5 with Radeon 9600 Pro)
( Last edited by zerostar; Apr 25, 2005 at 05:55 PM. )

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2005, 09:22 PM

By Default Tiger os x does not enable quartz ("2D") Extreme in 32MB vram Macs which includes Mac Minis, eMacs and iBook G4s.
I'd like to know, once someone has upgraded a G4 iMac to Tiger, if Quarts 2D Extreme is enabled by default.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett
There are some reports on the OS forum that enabling it makes Safari 2 very slow.
Yes, I have noticed this too. Any page with lots of animated gifs (like the forum post form here) slows down to a crawl with Q2DX on.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2005, 05:36 PM

I don't seem to have that .../A/Resources/Configuration.plist file. Any thoughts?
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

danman
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 06:08 PM

Found this below and it has worked for me even after reboots:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2005, 02:00 AM

What sorts of improvements do you notice with this enabled on machines with a fast enough video card?

I believe I have an ATI 9600 (I have an original 15" Aluminum Powerbook)

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 8, 2005, 02:13 AM

You can check whether it's supported by opening Quartz Debug and looking in the Tools menu.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

entrox
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 06:30 AM

I'm on a MDD 2x1GHz with 768MB RAM and a Radeon 9800. Q2DX was not enabled by default and enabling it absolutely kills OmniWeb performance. Looks like it's disabled for a reason.

RonnieoftheRose
May 8, 2005, 07:12 AM

I only noticed an improvement in iMovie but even that could be coincidental. I don't think it's necassary considering how much regular QE has improved. I would like Apple to improve HD playback on G4s and hopefully Q2DX will do that in the future.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2005, 11:16 AM

I notice no difference with Q2DX enabled on my dual 1.25 MDD + 9800 Pro.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2005, 11:25 AM

What kinds of things are supposed to be faster with it enabled?

What would be a good benchmark for us in discussing this?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 11:26 AM

I too, have been unable to see any performance increase on a 12" 1.5ghz PB. If someone could point me to where the performance gains would be seen, I would love to do some testing.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 11:28 AM

Resizing is a lot faster with it turned on here. It slows down iPhoto and Core Image Funhouse, though, which is maybe one of the reasons they disabled it?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 12:32 PM

When Q2DE is enabled, I get some graphical glitches when resizing the Quicktime Player window (the arc at the bottom doesn't get drawn correctly). Works fine when Q2DE is off.

Hopefully bugs will be fixed for 10.4.1.

discstickers
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
I too, have been unable to see any performance increase on a 12" 1.5ghz PB. If someone could point me to where the performance gains would be seen, I would love to do some testing.
My 2.0DP with a 6800 showed almost a 2x speedup in XBench drawing tests.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 12:52 AM

I enabled it using the command line in the terminal given above. While basic gui things like resizing a window is still the same (as when it wasnt enabled) the one thing that has dramicically speed up was using the grab function in a pdf opened in preview. An oversized pdf that could be "pulled" to any location was laggy; with qe2d its near instantaneous. Hardly a lag. Impressive. Try it.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd
Hardly a lag. Impressive. Try it.
Which graphics card do you have? For me with a 9600 on a G5 everything is much slower with Q2DX turned on. Most notably Safari, but also PDF drawing. Speed is down to about 50%.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 02:12 AM

I have the 9700 mobility. But I must confess I turning it off an it it was still fast I'm not sure if a reboot is needed after turing it off. I guess I'm not sure anymore....

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
I only noticed an improvement in iMovie but even that could be coincidental. I don't think it's necassary considering how much regular QE has improved. I would like Apple to improve HD playback on G4s and hopefully Q2DX will do that in the future.
Video playback is one of the few things it *shouldn't* improve, since QT7 already uses OpenGL.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 05:54 AM

Ok, I've been reading about this over at ARS.

Apparently there are problems with getting the UI to render exactly the same way when processed by the GPU as the CPU. Fonts are the main issue, and I believe the login screen appears differently with Q2DX enabled.

Plus some functions haven't been totally perfected and take *longer* to draw on the GPU than they do on the CPU, so it is off by default until they've got it 100% correct.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...1#656005523731

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 08:31 AM

I got a feeling that getting qe2d to work will take another 130 dollars and about 18 months of a wait. This wont be something fixed on an update.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
May 10, 2005, 11:14 AM

Allow me to ask a seemingly stupid question:

Why would one care if the Fonts render "pixel identical" between the GPU & the CPU... aren't you only going to see one OR the other at any given time...? What is the argument for them NEEDING to be identical down to the pixel...?

Just curious...

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by LightWaver-67

Why would one care if the Fonts render "pixel identical" between the GPU & the CPU... aren't you only going to see one OR the other at any given time...? What is the argument for them NEEDING to be identical down to the pixel...?

Just curious...
Because it also has ramifications for displaying ANY image. Someone posted a thread about Safari and Preview displaying certain JPEGs differently under Tiger vs. Panther. Not everyone is seeing that issue though (I'm not, for example).

I wonder if those people having those issues enabled Quartz 2D Extreme?

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd
I got a feeling that getting qe2d to work will take another 130 dollars and about 18 months of a wait. This wont be something fixed on an update.
Why not?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by LightWaver-67

Just curious...
If you've ever done any web design you'll know that *any* difference in display between browsers is hugely annoying, if you are designing with fonts and layout in mind, you want them to appear the way you designed them. I've done an awful lot of XHTML and CSS tinkering to get the same web page to display the same way on a Windows machine running IE as a Mac running Safari. Thats before you even consider 3rd party browsers.

If there are discrepancies between display of system level elements be they drawn by the CPU or the GPU then App designers are going to have major headaches as regards the appearance of their GUIs.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2005, 12:18 AM

Under 10.4 I could not enable Quartz 2D Extreme, but under 10.4.2 it is enabled by default.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by cgc
Under 10.4 I could not enable Quartz 2D Extreme, but under 10.4.2 it is enabled by default.
Not enabled by default for me in 10.4.2, and I do have a capable video card.
Genius. You know who.

oni
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 06:06 PM

seems to be enabled for me under 10.4.2, according to the plist file

G5 2x1.8
Radeon 9600XT

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 06:46 PM

using the terminal command, enabling it made all screen redraws & resizing faster, as well as QT movies smoother and image work in PS all speed up considerably.....

this is on a B&W G4/650/1GB/Radeon9200
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 11:45 AM

Haven't heard much about Quartz 2D Extreme as of late...anybody know if/when this will be permanently enabled? Any advantages/disadvantages to enabling it in the current 10.4.2 release?

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 03:42 PM

It won't be enabled in 10.4.3.
JLL

Forum Links
Forum Rules