Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there a way to run standard applications in the background?

Is there a way to run standard applications in the background?
joshs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 05:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

The title pretty much sums it up. I have some programs that, for me at least, would be better off in the background (meaning I don't seem them in the dock).

Is there any way to make an application run without you seeing it? The reason I mind is because when I press Cmd+Tab to swtich between applications, the programs that are always running show up in the list too.

Thanks to anyone who could help me out!

P
Nov 24, 2005, 07:36 PM

Find the app in the Finder. Make sure that it's closed. Right click on it and select "Show Package Contents". Find the file Info.plist inside the folder Contents. MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF IT and then open the original. If you have the Developer Tools installed, it will open in Property List Editor. If that is the case, create a new key (as a New Sibling of any other element or as New Child of the root element) named "LSUIElement". Set the value to 1. Move the app out of it's current directory (to avoid the cached value) and launch it. It should now be hidden from the Dock.

If you don't have the Developer Tools installed, either install it and follow the instructions above or open the Info.plist file in a text editor. Find some place in the main dictionary - right after it says

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>

for instance, make a new row and paste this

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>

. If you can't figure it out, just install the Developer Tools and do it that way. If you have any problems, restore from backup.

joshs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 09:23 PM

Wow! Thanks!

Works perfectly. How you know this I will not ask

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules