Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > strange share in the finder

strange share in the finder
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 07:01 PM

After installing Leopard and switching on my wireless network I noticed this strange share pop up in the finder. It seems to be a pc and I can log on to it as a guest but not see any files etc.

My wireless network is secured so I'm fairly sure noone is on it witout my knowledge. Any idea what it might be?

ta

Andrew

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 07:13 PM

Well, unless you have another PC in your house, someone indeed is on your network.

As an alternate, do you have any networked electronic non computer devices in the house? Made by say RCA? (Thomson Inc.) I'm thinking it could also be a networked device somehow showing itself as a computer.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 07:18 PM

well there is (of course) the BT broadband router itself. Odd that it shows up as a pc though.

mjankor
Oct 31, 2007, 07:21 PM

My Airport Extreme shows up as a PC too. Bit weird that.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 07:26 PM

Well, if you're positive that no one outside is hacked in, that Thompson is most definitely a separate device masquerading as a PC.

Makes me wonder, is there a way to hide certain computers from your sidebar? I wouldn't think so.

When you connect to it, what does Get Info say? (That is after you open the SharedDocs folder if it exists.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules