Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jerky trackpad on MBP with Leopard

Jerky trackpad on MBP with Leopard
fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 02:04 PM

After upgrading to Leopard for some reason the trackpad movement on my MBP 15" 2.4Ghz would become sticky, jerky, or simply slow following my finger(s). It didn't help to adjust the trackpad setting in the Keyboard/Mouse system preferences either. This happens all the time with or without external drive(s) attached or Time Machine running.

In comparison my mouse works perfectly (smooth and responsive). Anyone is experiencing this?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 03:17 PM

I experienced the same with a mouse and I noticed it happened after I switched wireless networks or opened the AirPort menu.

rugdobe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2007, 05:05 PM

I have the same problem.
My external USB mouse works perfectly fine,
while my trackpad is completely weird...

mjankor
Nov 9, 2007, 06:23 PM

Just check out your kernel task processor usage in Activity Monitor. Wave the pointer around with the track pad and see what happens. It shouldn't go over 5% tops, but if it doespost back here with the maximum.

I had issues with my logitech G7 after installing leopard, where the kernel task usage would shoot to 30% while using the mouse. After changing the mouse from my keyboard to the computer's usb port it's behaving now.

Of course, if this is the issue then the solution may be trickier in your case .

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007, 02:59 AM

I'm having this problem too, same MBP. It's driving me NUTS! I feel so unproductive because even the simplest task takes forever just to get the cursor in the right place. It makes it feel like the whole computer is lagging, but actually there is virtually no CPU activity, it's just the trackpad being weird.

It comes and goes, and the degree of lag changes, but I have noticed at times that it seems Airport-related, as it apparently gets worse when the Airport is looking for a signal.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2007, 04:42 AM

When the issue appears all I can do to get rid of it is a reboot. It's a PITA. I really hope it will be fixed in 10.5.1.

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2007, 11:36 PM

I had this problem after the 10.5.1 update. I just restarted again and the problem was fixed

bram2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2007, 07:45 PM

Hi all,

I am also experiencing this issue on a new MBP with 10.5.1. It seems to happen after the mac wakes from sleep. Also may be something to do with AirPort; I just did an experiment and disabling airport just made my mouse completely unusable. Opening Airport utility seemed to get it working again but not very well. When I closed Airport Util the mouse stopped working again. I re-enabled Airport using Quicksilver to access the Sys prefs and hey presto, the mouse is working again but in the same jittery fashion as before!

Has anyone found a way to prevent this or recover from it other than a reboot?

Cheers,

Jon

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2007, 04:51 AM

I haven't had the problem ever since I updated to 10.5.1 for the second time. I went to apple.com, downloaded the 10.5.1 update, ran it, and rebooted. Ever since, no jerky mouse except right after wake up (while it finds the AP network) for about half a second.

Glenstorm
Mar 1, 2008, 11:40 AM

Just thought I'd bump this topic and see if others are still experiencing problems or have found solutions. I have a MBP 2.2 Santa Rosa. My track pad exhibits the above behavior when searching for a wireless network.

Also it seems that the MBP has great difficulty establishing a connection to my Access Point(FIOS Router). It fails to connect on it's own when it wakes from sleep. If I use the Airport drop down menu in the menu it pops up the WPA dialogue but fails to connect. The only way it reliably connects is if I open the network control panel and select my Wireless Network in that dialogue. It goes without saying this is a PITA.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 07:28 AM

These sound delicious, it would be good for long flights etc.
Do you have a link where I can get some?

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Just make your own. Here's two recipes I use:

bushwalking jerky 1
bushwalking jerky 2

Don't make it on your trackpad, though.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 05:10 PM

I am having this problem too. I have a new MBP 2.4 (last of the previous model) with 10.5.2. Every now and then the mouse movement becomes jerky with the trackpad or with the BT Mouse. I hadn't read about the fix people have tried with switching Airport off and on but I will try it. I have found that only a reboot will cure the problem until now.

I have been in touch with Apple about this but the guy seemed unaware of the issue even though it is mentioned in their own forums. He has offered to check out the computer in case it is a manufacturing issue.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 05:17 PM

I have been looking in my Console log at the time the last problem started. Someone on the Apple discussion forum suggested that the trouble was an interrupt and I found this twice:
AppleYukon2: 00000000,00000000 sk98osx_dnet - recovering from missed interrupt
Followed by:
NVDA::setPowerState(0x484f400, 0 -> 2) timed out after 45205 ms
Anyone else with the problem seen this?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Mar 14, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Too good. Exactly what sprang to mind for me as well .

Potentially the amount of oil/grease on your average trackpad, and the heat generated on the surrounding surface wouldn't make it too bad for cooking!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2008, 06:38 PM

I had the problem after installing 10.5.1, but it went away after installing 10.5.2.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Just make your own. Here's two recipes I use:

bushwalking jerky 1
bushwalking jerky 2

Don't make it on your trackpad, though.
Good idea.
I got some crocodile jerky from Sydney airport, I don't know how you guys eat that stuff, i suppose you just get used to it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2008, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
NVDA::setPowerState(0x484f400, 0 -> 2) timed out after 45205 ms
This is a problem with the new Nvidia drivers. People who experience black screens after waking from sleep see this entry too.

Interestingly, I haven't seen these entries in my logs since I reapplied the 10.5.2 combo update. No idea what happened there.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
This is a problem with the new Nvidia drivers. People who experience black screens after waking from sleep see this entry too.

Interestingly, I haven't seen these entries in my logs since I reapplied the 10.5.2 combo update. No idea what happened there.
Thanks for the info. I have re-run the OS 10.5.2 and the video drivers update in the hope that this black screen problem disappears. Maybe it could also help with the jerky mouse as well (although I see the black screen a lot more than the jerky mouse pointer).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2008, 03:44 PM

I'm still seeing this problem with the latest updates. Very annoying. It seems to have something to do with Sleep mode and using Airport. Only rebooting has fixed it for me so far...

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2008, 03:56 PM

Mine is going in to be checked tomorrow for this and a keyboard problem. I'll let you know what happens.

andrewballem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2008, 05:51 PM

I found a thread on the Apple forums about this, and a user pointed out that when he had the Software Update application as the foreground application the trackpad went back to normal, and I can confirm this behaviour. As soon as you close it or switch to another application it goes back to being jerky though. What this means, I don't know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules