Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > IP config. OSX leopard

IP config. OSX leopard
threegroove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 06:23 PM

I am a relative new mac use,r and had no problems using a manual ip configuration for my router before upgrading to leopard from 10.4. As soon as I upgraded I can't connect to the internet when trying to dedicate my ip (192.168.... type). I tried using TCP/IP (manual setting), using my subnet mask and router address and it simply won't connect. It connects fine when using DHCP and letting it assign the address. It's peeving me to no end. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm pretty well verse with my router and havent changed anything since upgrading.

threegroove  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 07:21 PM

So pretty much just install 10.4 again!

mjankor
Nov 15, 2007, 07:33 PM

Are you putting name servers in as well?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 08:28 PM

Why do you need to specify an IP?
Even if you do, why not use a persistent DHCP lease?

threegroove  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 06:14 PM

It's just much easier when setting up my port forwarding on my router if im using the same ip. I'm not familiar with named server. In the ip4 I dont think I need them.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 06:29 PM

If you're using manual IP settings, you need to also enter DNS server info. So yes, you do need them.
Vandelay Industries

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2007, 07:02 PM

Just put the internal IP address of the router in the DNS field. Most routers will figure that out. You must have had something similar under Tiger. A static address requires a specified DNS server. If you have an old cranky router and that doesn't work, you many have to contact your ISP and get the DNS servers they want you to use.

threegroove  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 12:57 PM

Yes! I needed to add the router DNS, thank you! Problem solved.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 02:19 AM

Just as a side note, I too prefer static IPs for my machines for port forwarding of particular services, always knowing network locations etc. but found it preferable to just set up the assigned IPs of each machine directly in my router (by pairing each MAC address to a particular IP) and then leaving the individual machines on DHCP. The router always assigns the right IP to each machine when they hook up so I am able to rely on each machine having the right IP but I still enjoy the benefits of having the machines being on DHCP ... the benefits being that my laptop (most frequently) and my other machines (on occasion) still work flawlessly when I am roaming onto another network (e.g. a WiFi hotspot or at a friend's house). Having a fixed IP set at the machine level will usually screw you up (or at least require you to change network settings) to roam with your machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules