Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Netscape versus Internet Explorer

Netscape versus Internet Explorer
muglet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2002, 04:07 PM

I got fed up (to put it very mildly!) with Internet Explorer telling me I didn't have enough memory and freezing on me so I have downloaded Netscape (latest super-duper version).
All seems fine. I'm getting used to the layout of it but its very, very slow. Is this because I still have IE on my machine? Can I safely put IE into the trash can?

What does everyone else think of Netscape?

Help! Ideas, suggestions and advice gratefully received.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 05:16 PM

try mozilla, this is what netscape is based on, runs beautifully.

what os are u running?
9.2.2 is a good place to be...

also, bump up the memory allocation to your browser!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2002, 08:01 PM

IE5 is the best OS9 browser. Undisputed, IMO.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 08:10 PM

i dunno, i usually agree with u.
but mozilla is awesome...fast, great rendering.
the tabs are BRILLIANT, i can have lots of pages open at once.

no pop-ups, and a minimum of ads (but setting the preference of "accept images from original server only".

yes, it's crashed a few times.

but i can't go back to IE, this kills it!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
IE5 is the best OS9 browser. Undisputed, IMO.
Agreed. IE5 would be PERFECT if it supressed pop-ups.

I tend to do a lot of selling/buying on e-bay ... the auction tracker feature is pretty nifty.

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2002, 03:06 PM

Ok, so some of you think that IE is the best but right now I am very, very, very sick of it!! I want to get rid of it!
Can I just throw it in the trash can? Or will that upset the computer and make it, and me, cry?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by muglet:
Ok, so some of you think that IE is the best but right now I am very, very, very sick of it!! I want to get rid of it!
Can I just throw it in the trash can? Or will that upset the computer and make it, and me, cry?

AFAIK you can trash it. I don't see why not. It's not a part of the MacOS like it is with Windows.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this.

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 05:18 PM

IE all the way. This new netscape is crap. all I could say is try and give IE more memory... either that, or you have too much plugins installed in IE. But yay, go IE! (I personally dislike microsoft, but i do like office..)

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2002, 08:39 AM

all I could say is try and give IE more memory... either that, or you have too much plugins installed in IE.

I've given IE all the memory I have, removed plugins galore and still get "critically low on memory" or "can't open something or other because you don't have shockwave or the correct plugin". It's even told me that it can't open shockwave because there isn't enough memory when previously its just told me I don't have it!!! (Someone on here once told me my IE was probably leaking memory) AAAaaaaaaaaghhhhhhh!

So far, Netscape has been brill. No freezes, it opens every page I want with no stupid error messages.

Say goodbye to IE it is going from my computer right now!

Thanks for your help and advice guys
Maybe I'll be back in the near future asking how do I get IE installed safely back onto my computer, or how I miss it....!

tLON
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by muglet:
I got fed up (to put it very mildly!:cry:) with Internet Explorer telling me I didn't have enough memory and freezing on me so I have downloaded Netscape (latest super-duper version).
All seems fine. I'm getting used to the layout of it but its very, very slow. Is this because I still have IE on my machine? Can I safely put IE into the trash can?

What does everyone else think of Netscape?

Help! Ideas, suggestions and advice gratefully received.:D
You owe it to yourself to try iCab [strictly Mac] and Opera [all platforms]. Opera bills itself as the world's fastest browser and it does seem so, but prob. depends on type of browsing you do -- if it's at all research oriented, where you're going back & forth a lot, it is really the fastest, displaying previous pages instantly. also has lots of privacy options -- far better than IE or Netsc, but that may not bother you.
b.rgds,
t

splode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 05:55 PM

Hey.

Is it just me (and my iBook) or does IE suck at downloading?

It seems to DL slower than Netscape, and if IE is in the background the DLs go even slower, eventually crawling to a "Waiting For Data" stop.

Netscape 4.x or so DLs a ton faster. And allows you to DL many files at the same time (over 8 even).

Netscape 7 DLS fast, but once you hit that 8 connection limit it refuses to anything else until a DL is finished.

Seeing as I use my iBook at school to DL RARs of Buffy, the Sopranos and whatever else my wife insists I get for her, DLing is muy importanto.

Suggs for a better classic browser?

splode

dschneiderch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 08:06 PM

what about trying a dl manager. that should dl faster (bc it will open lots of simulaneous connections) and you can probably set how many dls to allow...i have never tried one but take a look at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com

btw, for browsing i use mozilla 1.0.1 the app itself is a little slow on 8.6 but browses much faster than netscape 4.8 and ie
Powerbook G3 400 Mhz, mac os x.2.5, 256 MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules