Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther First Impressions

Panther First Impressions (Page 6)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2003, 08:23 PM

comprehensive list up there.

Add GUI for VPN via IPsec (read somewhere, sorry).

-s*

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 08:34 PM

what about smart folders? is there any such implementation?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by jaysones:
Fast user switching does not turn on a cube on my Dual GHz with Panther, like it did in the demo. It just fades the screen out for a second, then back in with the other user account logged in. They're using the same color depth and resolution. Is there a toggle for the cube effect? I was really looking forward to this. Bummer.
Quartz Extreme only.

non-QE machines just fade between screens.

-s*

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2003, 08:36 PM

Ok, right now to switch from one user to the next w/o a pass, the account has to have no pass on it.

When creating a new account without a pass a dialog comes up with this warning:

Anyone can access your computer using this user account without entering a password. Are you sure you want to do this?
-Owl

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 08:41 PM

help is much faster. launched in 1 bounce on a 300Mhz G3. searching was fast. scrolling was fast. completely happy with it now.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 08:46 PM

its actually really cool, but i seem to be having a lot of problems with my keyboard.

• Eject Buttin doesnt work
  • iKey mappings dont work

Application stability is good.

UT2K3 got essentially the same framerates (~30 FPS) on my Dual 867/9000/512.

if i can fix this keyboard thing, its honestly amazing.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Err those Cancel and Login buttons are brushed metal ones, yet they're on an aqua dialog?!?

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Err those Cancel and Login buttons are brushed metal ones, yet they're on an aqua dialog?!?
I actually think those buttons are more "aqua" like. If they would just remove the ring around them that makes them "sunk" in the brushed metal, they'd look fine.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 09:41 PM

In Panther, the "aqua" and "metal" buttons look the same, and they're all "sunken."

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by BuonRotto:
In Panther, the "aqua" and "metal" buttons look the same, and they're all "sunken."
This unification (and a few other Panther hints) make me curious if they're going to open up Panther to users being able to choose Aqua or Metal, either across the system or app-by-app.

I could see it going either way, actually (probably it's not going to happen). If it does, though, here's a guess how it might work:

A Theme section in Appearance:

- Aqua and Metal (as chosen by Apple; default)
- Aqua (all apps Aqua -- even iApps) (!)
- Metal (all apps Metal)

jaysones
Jun 25, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Quartz Extreme only.

non-QE machines just fade between screens.

-s*
I didn't know that, but I have a Dual GHz G4 with a GeForce 4MX. My machine does all the Quartz Extreme stuff. Any ideas why this is not happening?

EDIT- It seems its third restart convinced it to work. Weird. I didn't change anything. Oh well, if you have this problem, just restart until you don't! That is a VERY, VERY cool effect.

mikebat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by disco_stu:
Thanks for the screenshots guys!

Would someone be so kind as to post that sweet aqua blue desktop background that's in the pics (like in http://homepage.mac.com/jshier/Switch.jpg)? Please!?!?
Sure

http://homepage.mac.com/bombia/new_desktops.html

It's called "True Aqua"

Mike

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 10:58 PM

I can't see if this has been answered yet, but does Mail still send out those resourse fork files with attachments? Now that OS 9 is a goner, one would hope that that annoying thing is eliminated in Panther.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by MacDork:
Can someone verify this?

It's amazingly annoying on a Powerbook to have to hold down the "fn" key to get "F1" instead of "Brightness down"

Almost every Function key (F1-F10) have alternate functions (brightness, volume, keyboard lighting, etc), and I'd just love to be able to toggle the behaviour so that I need to hold down the "fn" key to get brightness/volume, etc.
The brightness and volume keys work just fine for me on Panther preview, on my 1 GH TiBook.

disco_stu
Jun 25, 2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by mikebat:
Sure

http://homepage.mac.com/bombia/new_desktops.html

It's called "True Aqua"

Mike
You, sir, rock! Thanks!

Is it just me, or is this thread 1000 times more exciting than Steve's Panther preview?

/yeah, I need a life

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 11:57 PM

on my mother's iBook 500 where it says 'Activate Screen Corners" in SCREEN SAVER it is dimmed, and i can NOT select it. this is annoying because the bottom right is currently set to turn the screen to screen saver...and she doesn't want it like that....
any one else having this problem?

also in the EXPOSE window, where it shows the bottom right corner, ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE screen saver is also HOT highlighted (dimmed)

asan102
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:

Originally posted by asan102:

Can someone PLEASE explain the new grey titlebars ? From all the screen shots I've seen, it seems like some windows still have pin-striped titlebars , while others have the new grey-ish ones, apparently at random. What is the order behind this?
Foremost window grey, windows in the back pinstriped.

I wish it were that easy to differentiate metal windows...
in this screenshot:
http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=2&thecat=998

It looks as if the front-most window's title-bar is grey, and the background windows have pinstriped title-bars, but they are no longer clear. So, are clear title-bars gone? I guess this makes sense - you don't really need to see thru title-bars when you have Expos�.
joe mama!

asan102
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
on my mother's iBook 500 where it says 'Activate Screen Corners" in SCREEN SAVER it is dimmed, and i can NOT select it. this is annoying because the bottom right is currently set to turn the screen to screen saver...and she doesn't want it like that....
any one else having this problem?

also in the EXPOSE window, where it shows the bottom right corner, ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE screen saver is also HOT highlighted (dimmed)
umm, why are you installing a beta (most likely pirated) OS on your mom's computer?
joe mama!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 12:51 AM

umm, why are you installing a beta (most likely pirated) OS on your mom's computer?
and...why is it pirated?

anyway, it was installed because she really needed the quick user feature since her and my sister use it.

asan102
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 01:52 AM

well, there's definitely more people who have pirated it than were actually at WWDC, so I said you probably had a pirated version, which would be an accurate assumption.
joe mama!

chromos
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
The brightness and volume keys work just fine for me on Panther preview, on my 1 GH TiBook.
I think he means can you toggle their behavior, as was possible in OS 9, such that one had to hit fn+F1 in order to reduce screen brightness.

I too would like to see this option.

amnesiac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
[B
Not happy tho! Itunes and all the other iLife apps were removed during installation! [/B]

So does that include the removal of the related files in the iapps?eg.mp3s...your experience shows a lot of promise for Panther...i'll defintely get the upgrade....if they fix that iapps delete thingie and include them in Panther

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 02:29 AM

nothing of mine was removed.

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 02:30 AM

just thought i'd add a few tidbits i've noticed while using panther which i don't think have been mentioned:

- whilst running jaguar, right-clicking to bring up a contextual menu would always result in a ~10 sec 'beach ball', under panther it's now instant. nice.

- there is no longer a stalling of the boot process whilst looking for a network connection, it now just flies through.

- and yes, i too am seeing quite a healthy speed boost on my dual g4. i've found it most obvious whilst setting the system prefs, navigating between items is now instantaneous, under jaguar there was a noticeable delay. oh, and as others have said the pull-down menus are near os 9 responsiveness.

all in all, this dev. preview gives a good indication of what we can expect in 10.3. i'm impressed.

Global Mouser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 03:50 AM

When renaming a file in the "new" finder can you pull up a contextual menu to copy and paste text?

Please tell me it's true! It would make life so much easier.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 04:02 AM

It looks as if the front-most window's title-bar is grey, and the background windows have pinstriped title-bars, but they are no longer clear. So, are clear title-bars gone? I guess this makes sense - you don't really need to see thru title-bars when you have Expos�.
The system preferences is the foremost window. About this mac is now actually a pallette.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Global Mouser:
When renaming a file in the "new" finder can you pull up a contextual menu to copy and paste text?

Please tell me it's true! It would make life so much easier.
When renaming files you can't bring up a contextual menu at all. And how would this make it easier than command-c and command-v?

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 04:11 AM

you CAN close windows minimized in the dock, but so far it looks like just finder windows.

jocker
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 04:39 AM

iApps DONT get removed.

Man this is the best piece of software I have ever used, on any computer.

Done an Archive and Install and my PB17" is sooooo sweet now.

Even for a preview its way faster than Jaguar, way faster!

Switching between Dreamweaver and Photoshop, either by clicking in the dock or using expose, is instant. Try that in Jag with these behemoth apps. Even dreamweaver is lightning speed.

I feel like I just got a G5 in my laptop!

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 04:42 AM

One thing I don't think I've seen posted anywhere else:

If you hit F9 to invoke Expose on all open windows, you can then hit tab or ~ to cycle between all the open windows in single apps.

It's really neat!

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 05:31 AM

a couple on nice improvements i've noticed whilst running safari under panther:

- the infamous 'stalling' while loading ign.com sites is now gone, loads straight up with no delay.

- under jag, the first time i would go to select a bookmark from the bookmark bar pull-down the beach ball would rear its ugly head (my guess was it was loading the bookmarks), with panther there is no delay.

it's these little things that, for me, really make the difference. good job apple !

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jun 26, 2003, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
The Finder is cocoa (the app is a .app package, the nstoolbar isn't an ugly hack)
No, it is not Cocoa. The Finder is a .nib-based Carbon application in Panther.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by moki:
No, it is not Cocoa. The Finder is a .nib-based Carbon application in Panther.
How much closer in behaviour are the two under Panther (e.g. are scrolling, open/save dialogues, Services, Font Book usage, etc behaviours the same, or is there still an obvious difference?)

TIA

Michel Fortin
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by gthyb:
you CAN close windows minimized in the dock, but so far it looks like just finder windows.
You can too in Jaguar (in Finder). Open any finder window (it may even be the preference panel), minimize it, then hit cmd-w (or go to the file menu and choose close window). The minimized window will close.

curan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 07:10 AM

What new desktop pictures are included in the Panther Beta? If any at all.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by BuonRotto:
Given every single Panther screenshot posted in these forums thus far have had proper aqua buttons on aqua dialogs, I'd disagree with this.

The login panel is the first aqua dialog posted thus far that has had brushed metal buttons on it (which, in addition to being sunked, have a utterly different shading effect on them).

Even the Finder screen shots have had brushed metal buttons on the brushed metal Finder, but aqua version of those same buttons when used on the aqua open/save sheet.

MacDork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
That's not really what I'm asking: what I want to know is... currently:

Brightness = F1

What I WANT is.......
Brightness = "fn" + F1

Is there a way to toggle that behavior, like there was in OS 9?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by kuran:
What new desktop pictures are included in the Panther Beta? If any at all.
None. No new sounds either. Most questions are answered in my thread

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 08:18 AM

I'm --VERY-- interested to see an answer to this question:

The posts about iTunes sharing indicate that under Fast User Switching, your apps continue to run even when you've switched users. (i.e., they're not 'suspended', they run normally.)

Someone with Panther, can you:

1. install a VNC server app (here)
2. run it under one account
3. Switch to a different user
4. From another computer, run a VNC client (here), and try to get the first user's desktop?

If that works, it means you can have multiple simultaneous GUI users, which will absolutely rock.

But it may be that the API that the VNC server uses has changed in Panther, in which case this will be an unresolved question.

One other way to address the same question is this:
1. Log in as one user. Open some apps, whatever.
2. Switch to a different user, with a recognizably different background, etc.
3. From the same or different computer, SSH in as the first user. Type 'screencapture /Users/Shared/mydesk.pdf'
4. Does screencapture work, or does it complain about broken interlocks?
5. If it worked, open up and look at the screenshot. Is it of the first user's desktop?

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 08:39 AM

If anyone has the time, could you maybe check to see if Apache is up to version 2? That would be sweet if it was.
I read the specs for Panther server adn it mentioed Samba 3, has that filtered down to the client version?

Someone mentioend earlier how 10.2 leaves .ds_store files on shares such as on a windows machine, there's a way to prevent this. I haven't tried it yet but can be done.

Cheers for the reports. Good work!!!!
PIXAR Animation Studios

Moose
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
and...why is it pirated?
Read the Panther EULA and your Apple NDA (if you even have one, which is doubtful). If you are under NDA, then you are not to distribute Panther to anyone at all, unless they are both under NDA with you, and they have a need to use it. Not want. Need. This includes immediate family. If you are not under NDA with Apple and have not received Panther from Apple, then you are not licensed to use the software.

anyway, it was installed because she really needed the quick user feature since her and my sister use it.
Ethical (NDA/software licensing) considerations aside, there's no way in hell I'd consider putting a pre-release operating system on a not-technically-inclined family member's computer. This OS is not finished. There are serious bugs--the most serious ones I've seen are critical security flaws with the Multiple Users functionality.

One more time, boys and girls: The Panther Developer Preview SHOULD NOT be installed on "production" machines for day-to-day usage, because you WILL lose data, either from a panic, or from some nasty hidden bug that eats your files or filesystem. It is not a matter of "if," but, instead, a matter of "when."

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:

4. From another computer, run a VNC client (here), and try to get the first user's desktop?
Good thinking ! And maybe Apple Remote Desktop (which sounds like it's bundled now) will do this as well or instead ?!

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 08:49 AM

I have just installed the Panther preview and I am blown away! The speed, the functionality!

However, its looks are not consistant anymore, it feels more like three different themes thrown together: Aqua, Metal and a totally new one for the title-bars.

Hope they do some serious design work on that until they release it. Love the new tabs, by the way.

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
I'm --VERY-- interested to see an answer to this question:

The posts about iTunes sharing indicate that under Fast User Switching, your apps continue to run even when you've switched users. (i.e., they're not 'suspended', they run normally.)

If that works, it means you can have multiple simultaneous GUI users, which will absolutely rock.

But it may be that the API that the VNC server uses has changed in Panther, in which case this will be an unresolved question.

One other way to address the same question is this:
1. Log in as one user. Open some apps, whatever.
2. Switch to a different user, with a recognizably different background, etc.
3. From the same or different computer, SSH in as the first user. Type 'screencapture /Users/Shared/mydesk.pdf'
4. Does screencapture work, or does it complain about broken interlocks?
5. If it worked, open up and look at the screenshot. Is it of the first user's desktop?
Regarding VNC, no, you cannot. VNC scrapes the screen, so you are just looking at user2.

Not sure about the second item, but I suspect similar to the first.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Moose:

One more time, boys and girls: The Panther Developer Preview SHOULD NOT be installed on "production" machines for day-to-day usage, because you WILL lose data, either from a panic, or from some nasty hidden bug that eats your files or filesystem. It is not a matter of "if," but, instead, a matter of "when." [/B]
Oh shut up. Apple probably enjoys the leakage now, like posting the G5 specs. Has anyone noticed their stock has shot up this week since they got tongues waggling?

The more people speak, the better for Apple as a business and the more free promotion it is. You can only install OSX on a Mac anyway so it's not near the kind of loss that software companies experience on the PC. And pirated betas are a zero loss, they cost nothing to the people who recieved them in the first place.

BTW, I am not downloading and installing any beta OS.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 10:12 AM

I don't know if this has already been posted, but could someone comment on OpenGL in Panther? In what version is it? Is there some improvement in game performance?

Concerning DVD player: the decoding is still done in CPU or has enabled GPU decoding (for supported cards obviously)? What is the typical CPU usage for DVD player?
( Last edited by Pierre B.; Jun 26, 2003 at 11:06 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Oh shut up. Apple probably enjoys the leakage now, like posting the G5 specs. Has anyone noticed their stock has shot up this week since they got tongues waggling?

The more people speak, the better for Apple as a business and the more free promotion it is. You can only install OSX on a Mac anyway so it's not near the kind of loss that software companies experience on the PC. And pirated betas are a zero loss, they cost nothing to the people who recieved them in the first place.

Actually, he's right. Regardless of how you get Panther, it should not be installed on a machine that you need to be up 100%. There is a very good possibility that something will go wrong and you could lose lots of data. This is for testing only, not for full time use... And installing it for other people who may not be technically savvy is just asking for something disasterous to happen.

And that has nothing to do with whether or not you pirated the software. That's a completely different issue.

Moose
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Apple does not, in fact, enjoy leakage. If they did, they wouldn't be sending out C&Ds like they were scrips for Claritin. Also, AAPL hasn't been where it opened on Monday since early Tuesday morning. But don't let those pesky facts and figures distract you.

The more people speak, the better for Apple as a business and the more free promotion it is.
When a pre-release build of Panther that Johnny Earlyteen downloaded and installed on the Family iMac to play around with eats data, who's he going to blame? (Hint: Not himself.) Who are his parents going to blame? (Hopefully him, but who knows?)

And pirated betas are a zero loss, they cost nothing to the people who recieved them in the first place.
You mean WWDC attendance is free? And so is ADC Select/Premiere membership? Astounding! I wish somebody had told me before I spent all that money.

Good for you. That just means that you happen not to suffer from that particular bit of retardation. But attempting to rationalize their behavior doesn't help things by any means.

ambush
Banned
Jun 26, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
I don't know if this has already been posted, but could someone comment on OpenGL in Panther? In what version is it? Is there some improvements in game performance?

Concerning DVD player: the decoding is still done in CPU or has enabled GPU decoding (for supported cards obviously)? What is the typical CPU usage for DVD player?
I use Panther and the New Quake3 AltiVec to play Quake3: TrueCombat and I'm very pleased with the FPS I get at medium quality! At last, it's playable!

jimcpherson
Jun 26, 2003, 11:16 AM

Sorry if this a repeat question, but how does Expos� perform on a dual monitor setup?

Forum Links
Forum Rules