Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cell phone?

Cell phone?
jaysones
Aug 14, 2005, 11:02 PM

Hiya,
Since I thoughtfully lost my cellphone over the weekend, I need a new one. I wish I could wait for the iTunes phone but my need is a little more immediate. I would like mp3 playback and definitely want bluetooth iSync and I kind of maybe want PDA functionality (but that's not a deal-breaker). I'm with Sprint but I would switch providers for a kick-ass phone. I want something that works really well with 10.4's iSync over Bluetooth. Anyone got anything that works really well or any horror stories that I should avoid?
Thanks,
Jay

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 15, 2005, 10:41 AM

Sprint has an anti-Bluetooth fetish, as does Verizon, and Nextel doesn't have any either. So you pretty much have no choice but to switch to one of the GSM providers: Cingular or T-Mobile.

tooki

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2005, 11:31 AM

I have Verizon and the Motorola E815 and it sync's just fine (via bluetooth) with iSync. Can use it as a bluetooth modem with the PB to surf the internet, too.

Check out Howardforums.com for lots of info to help with your decision.

Good luck!
Mary

jaybert
Aug 15, 2005, 11:53 AM

i picked up the samsung i730 (Verizon), but have yet to try it over isync. I did however, using the hacked widcomm bluetooth stack, get OBEX transfer working, so I could send/receive files over my powerbook.

jaysones  (op)
Aug 15, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaybert
i picked up the samsung i730 (Verizon), but have yet to try it over isync. I did however, using the hacked widcomm bluetooth stack, get OBEX transfer working, so I could send/receive files over my powerbook.
If you try it over Bluetooth, let me know if it works. That phone looks cool.

Skybolt- The E815 looks cool too. Do you transfer mp3s via bluetooth or does it work with iTunes?

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2005, 12:15 PM

jaysones -- I do not transfer files, etc., as I am too timid to do the seem edit myself. Working on getting my husband to try it (he has the 815 also) and if he is successful, I'll have him do mine (he's a PC guy and the edit needs to be done on a PC, I understand). I'd even pay someone to do it for me! Wish some mac user would find a good way!
Mary

jaysones  (op)
Aug 16, 2005, 01:20 PM

I think I've decided to go with either a Sony w800i (the walkman one) or k750i. I'll report back. Thanks, skybolt.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Sprint has an anti-Bluetooth fetish, as does Verizon, and Nextel doesn't have any either. So you pretty much have no choice but to switch to one of the GSM providers: Cingular or T-Mobile.

tooki
I think that it's more "they don't need the models that also have Bluetooth" than they don't like it. Either way, GSM is THE way to go. When I switched from "digital" to GSM, I started getting good signals in places I thought were completely lacking in coverage.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules