Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Enabling Quartz Extreme On Rage 128AGP 16MB

Enabling Quartz Extreme On Rage 128AGP 16MB
olope
Apr 17, 2006, 08:43 PM

In another system I have, a sawtooth 500MHZ Id like to enable quartz extreme on the 16MB Video card but it says its not supported. its running MacOS 10.4.6 (PowerPC) Id like to have the accellerated graphics but it says that the monitor nor the display card is supported. Is there any way around this

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 08:51 PM

No.

Not physically possible. That card does not have the proper hardware components.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 17, 2006, 08:52 PM

No. The Rage 128 chip lacks specific functions that are essential to Quartz Extreme. (Note that contrary to common belief, the amount of VRAM is not the issue.)

Your only way around this is to replace the graphics card with one that does support Quartz Extreme. I suggest some member of the ATI Radeon series. You'll need one, specifically for Mac, that supports AGP 2X.

tooki

Matt S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 03:42 PM

The Radeon 7000 at minimum will enable Quartz Extreme. I'll have one for sale in a couple days when my Radeon 8500 comes in ... email me at [email protected] if you're interested. (Sawtooth w/ 1.8Gz Gigadesigns)

Forum Links
Forum Rules