Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp bluescreen after new system migration, Parallels is fine?

Boot Camp bluescreen after new system migration, Parallels is fine?
jaysones
Dec 28, 2008, 01:32 AM

Hi all,
I got a new MBP and migrated my Boot Camp partition over with Winclone. Seemed to work really well but Vista bluescreens on launch. It reboots asking for the Vista disc which I don't have right now (on vacation).
Here's the weird thing though: I tried to launch Parallels, just for kicks and IT WORKED! I installed the new MBP drivers in Vista with Parallels but it still bluescreens on Boot Camp startup. I guess it's just some driver bs and I'm sure the Vista disc will clear it up. If anyone's done this before, let me know!
Thanks in advance.

ibook_steve
Dec 28, 2008, 03:46 AM

You installed Apple Boot Camp drivers while in Parallels instead of booting into BC? Not exactly the best thing to do, but others may have other opinions.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 05:11 AM

No, he attempted to migrate his BC partition over to his new MBP from a previous machine. It works fine in Parallels but fails when he tries to boot into it. I think it makes sense to wait until you get back to see if inserting the Vista disc will help.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2008, 10:37 AM

I'm with Big Mac on this. What probably happened was that winclone didn't properly move everything (including the boot table) to the new machine. Parallels and Fusion don't need that data, so they should be just fine with a migrated image, but since you're actually booting your machine when you select that "Boot Camp partition," the disk needs to be properly set up.

I'd make do with Parallels until you get home, and then see if the Vista disc will let you fix the partition. Note that when you install Windows (any version) on a partition you create with Boot Camp, it's the Windows installer that really formats the partition, and the installer that properly configures the boot table so that the EFI software in your Mac can see it and boot from it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jaysones  (op)
Dec 28, 2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks, all! I bet the boot table didn't get migrated properly. I'll just stick it out until I get home. Thanks again.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2008, 12:08 PM

I'm pretty sure this shouldn't affect Vista any more (perhaps I'm thinking along the lines of HAL), but it could be that you need to change the mass storage controllers for the generic ones.

I'm not sure you can do this without using the old computer, because I think Parallels uses it's own hardware profile to boot up but you could have a look anyway.

For future reference, here's what you would do:

Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager. (Long winded route but people end up with shortcuts of My Computer on their desktop or have it in their start menu - so this will route will always be there)

Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Right click and go to 'update driver software' on the storage controller (such as Intel ICH7 Serial ATA Controller).
Select 'browse my computer for driver software'
Select 'let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer'
Select 'standard dual channel PCI IDE controller' - these are standard ATA controllers that work on anything
Hit next and finish to update the drivers.

You should now be able to boot that installation in a PC with *any* SATA/ATA controller.

Not may people seem to know this trick of updating the drivers and will tell you to do an unnecessary repair install of Windows.
( Last edited by seanc; Dec 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM. )

jaysones  (op)
Dec 28, 2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I'm pretty sure this shouldn't affect Vista any more (perhaps I'm thinking along the lines of HAL), but it could be that you need to change the mass storage controllers for the generic ones.

I'm not sure you can do this without using the old computer, because I think Parallels uses it's own hardware profile to boot up but you could have a look anyway.

Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager. (Long winded route but people end up with shortcuts of My Computer on their desktop or have it in their start menu - so this will route will always be there)

Right click and go to 'update driver software' on the storage controller (such as Intel ICH7 Serial ATA Controller).
Select 'standard dual channel PCI IDE controller' - these are standard ATA controllers that work on anything

You should now be able to boot that installation in a PC with *any* SATA/ATA controller.

Not may people seem to know this trick of updating the drivers and will tell you to do an unnecessary repair install of Windows.
Interesting. I'm going to give this a shot right now and I'll let you know what happens.

jaysones  (op)
Dec 28, 2008, 01:40 PM

Brilliant! SeanC, you are a genius. This worked and now I'm back in business with Vista. It booted up in safe mode, installed some drivers on its own, then rebooted normally and I installed the Boot Camp drivers. Excellent! Thanks, you saved me a week's wait. Muchas gracias.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2008, 01:41 PM

No problem

You should be able to install the proper mass storage drivers now, it may help the performance of Vista.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2008, 02:16 PM

That sounds like something to be written up for a sticky post, sean. (Hint, hint).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2008, 02:37 PM

After I've finished the forum housekeeping...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 03:52 PM

The source of the problem was moving a Boot Camp partition from one type of Mac to a different type of Mac. If the drive controller is different, Windows fails to boot. This is no different than moving from one PC to a different type of PC. Parallels and Fusion will continue to work because they use the same virtual hardware no matter what Mac you're using.
Vandelay Industries

MacApp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post

Great! Thanks a lot it worked on my system too!

Code:
Mac OS X 10.4.11 Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5626.0 WinXP SP3 $ uname -a Darwin rfc-1918 8.11.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.1: Wed Oct 10 18:23:28 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.25.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386 Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB Memory: 4 GB Bus Speed: 800 MHz Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07 SMC Version: 1.16f8 Serial Number: **** Sudden Motion Sensor: State: Enabled
Thanks a lot again!
;-)

p.s.
i put a link to this thread in an italian forum:
http://www.macitynet.it/forum/showthread.php?t=86484

Forum Links
Forum Rules