Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Rep. Bob Etheridge - Criminal?

Rep. Bob Etheridge - Criminal?
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 07:36 AM

So I guess everyone has seen the video of him being asked a question and responding by grabbing the students arm and neck. What do you think should happen? Arrested and arraigned for assault? Kicked out of Congress? given an award for being a typical Democrat? Where has Pelosi been during all this? Prepping Alvin Green?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v60oNUoHBYM
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jun 15, 2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added a link to the incident in question)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 07:49 AM

1. Outrage
2. What does "Rep." mean? Is that Representative? I always thought it meant Republican, woops.
3. Outrage
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:45 AM

Definitely bad behavior. He should be censured. The "students" should learn how to approach an interview.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 09:20 AM

Old dumbass vs. young dumbasses = great story

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=BadKosh;3977389]Given an award for being a typical Democrat?/QUOTE]

Is this normal Democrat behavior? I don't get it?

Can we call being a closet homosexual typical Republican behavior?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=ort888;3977485]
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Given an award for being a typical Democrat?/QUOTE]

No, that happens on both sides of the isle.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Given an award for being a typical Democrat?

It is if you're Cynthia McKinney
March 29, 2006, Capitol Hill police incident
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 12:36 PM

Well that's all the proof I need. Democrats are all physically violent people and this behavior obviously points to a huge character flaw as a collective group. Outbursts like this are proof that the entire Liberal way of thinking is a complete farce and that deep-down they are all humanity hating hypocrites.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2010, 12:50 PM

He looks drunk to me.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Well that's all the proof I need. Democrats are all physically violent people and this behavior obviously points to a huge character flaw as a collective group. Outbursts like this are proof that the entire Liberal way of thinking is a complete farce and that deep-down they are all humanity hating hypocrites.
You know who I hate? Barack Obama...

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
He looks drunk to me.
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like he was coming from a seven martini lunch.
Nemo me impune lacesset

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like he was coming from a seven martini lunch.
...and on his way to cast a vote! Seriously, millions of people are subject to drug testing at work and must refrain from alcohol before and during work because it affects judgement. Yet there is no such rule for politicians. I always thought they should be subject to the same 8-hour rule that I am (no alcohol within 8 hours of reporting for work). If that rule had been in place, Ted Kennedy wouldn't have lasted so long in congress.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
...and on his way to cast a vote! Seriously, millions of people are subject to drug testing at work and must refrain from alcohol before and during work because it affects judgement. Yet there is no such rule for politicians. I always thought they should be subject to the same 8-hour rule that I am (no alcohol within 8 hours of reporting for work). If that rule had been in place, Ted Kennedy wouldn't have lasted so long in congress.
Only 8 hours without a drink for you guys. I thought it was "24 hours from bottle to throttle" for pilots?

But yeah, politicians do enough stupid stuff on their own without letting them use alcohol as an excuse for their stupid actions. Make the Capitol an alcohol-free zone when Congress is in session.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Only 8 hours without a drink for you guys. I thought it was "24 hours from bottle to throttle" for pilots?
The federal rule is 8 hours. I think most airlines make it 12. Military is 12.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
In the context of criminality? Sure, but it won't get you far with your ilk at Starbucks.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 06:31 PM

What this is, is yet another stale representative who has forgotten that he's commissioned to serve the people he's trying to choke.

Cameras people... cameras. You're doing exactly what they're hoping you'll do. C'mon man.
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
In the context of criminality? Sure, but it won't get you far with your ilk at Starbucks.

How about we all can it with trying to pigeonhole other members? It is very annoying.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sen. Etheridge
I have a right to know who you are
The hell you do.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2010, 06:40 PM

I don't think he was trying to choke him, I think he was clinging to him for support.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How about we all can it with trying to pigeonhole other members? It is very annoying.
You mean like "drill baby drill" as a sect of people who support producing domestic sources of oil? Okay... you first.
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 06:57 PM

What this is, is yet another stale representative who has forgotten that he's commissioned to serve the people he's trying to choke.

Cameras people... cameras. You're doing exactly what they're hoping you'll do. C'mon man.

We get a whole lot, I mean a *whole lot* of bitching and moaning about the failings of government. I honestly don't know if these sorts of posts are supposed to be therapeutical for you and others to feel a little less frustrated, or whether you are trying to convince people of something?

If the latter, why not provide us with concrete actionable things we can do? I don't think anybody disagreed with you suggesting that we go through each regulatory agency and cut cut cut, but to suggest that this is a complete solution is over-simplifying things.

For starters:

- Nobody seems to have disagreed with my assertion that big government and big business are intertwined. Therefore, to really solve these sorts of problems we have to make changes to both. Otherwise, what is to stop what regulatory agencies are left after your cut cut cut from receiving kickbacks from big companies and not doing their jobs?

- If we can agree that both Republicans and Democrats are intertwined with big business, how do we deal with and prevent these sorts of conflicts of interest? If the answer is reducing the government in size, how does this not simply shuffle the cards in the deck in terms of who these companies use as their go-to politicians?

- How exactly do we get our watchdogs to be better watchdogs with the resources they have, whatever size and form they are left in after your cut cut cut?

- How do we stabilize our economy in preparation of the next Enron or Goldman Sachs?

Otherwise, we get it. Government = bad. Bitch bitch bitch... Repetitive.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 06:59 PM

You mean like "drill baby drill" as a sect of people who support producing domestic sources of oil? Okay... you first.

I have not accused individual members in here as being drill baby drillers... Yes it is wrong to pigeonhole people in general, but I figure that curtailing this is a losing effort. At the very least we can stop doing it with individual members here in this forum, agreed?

Wouldn't you be annoyed if I started going on about you being some sort of Rush Limbaugh redneck bible thumping uneducated old white, likely racist dude?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 07:07 PM

Let me suggest that Bob is going to regret this the next time he runs for office.

-t

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 01:45 AM

My thanks to Bob Etheridge. It's great when politicians stop pretending and reveal themselves to be the arrogant, self-serving d-bags so many of them are. Hopefully more and more people will put 2 and 2 together and realize that they don't need arrogant self-serving d-bags grabbing more and more power over their health/wealth and lives. "Who you!? Who you!?" One of your EMPLOYERS, you nitwit.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2010, 06:46 AM

I have not accused individual members in here as being drill baby drillers... Yes it is wrong to pigeonhole people in general, but I figure that curtailing this is a losing effort. At the very least we can stop doing it with individual members here in this forum, agreed?
If you happen to support this President's agenda and I referred to people who generally support this President's agenda as "Obamatons", that in fact would be pigeonholing you. You've connected something with a negative connotation to an ideology or view in order to marginalize the view. Many here have that view. You didn't care.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go around spitting on people only to ask that others stop spitting once you've given yourself cotton-mouth.

Wouldn't you be annoyed if I started going on about you being some sort of Rush Limbaugh redneck bible thumping uneducated old white, likely racist dude?
No... because of course this mind-numbing rhetoric is commonplace among those with little else to fall back on ideologically. Not only would the accusation be incorrect of me, it would be incorrect of Rush Limbaugh and I'd rest easy knowing that even the people who agree with you hate that you post here.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
My thanks to Bob Etheridge. It's great when politicians stop pretending and reveal themselves to be the arrogant, self-serving d-bags so many of them are. Hopefully more and more people will put 2 and 2 together and realize that they don't need arrogant self-serving d-bags grabbing more and more power over their health/wealth and lives. "Who you!? Who you!?" One of your EMPLOYERS, you nitwit.
This is the absolute poster-child of the folks we have in office right now.

What other occupation, consistently supporting policies in conflict with 70% of the country, would not regard this majority as inconvenient, annoying little pricks?
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 12:49 PM

No... because of course this mind-numbing rhetoric is commonplace among those with little else to fall back on ideologically. Not only would the accusation be incorrect of me, it would be incorrect of Rush Limbaugh and I'd rest easy knowing that even the people who agree with you hate that you post here.

It sounds like we just have different reasons for finding this annoying.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 12:57 PM

It just proves you have never actually listened to Limbaugh for more than 30 seconds. You have no clue as to what nonsense you believe.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 01:15 PM

It just proves you have never actually listened to Limbaugh for more than 30 seconds. You have no clue as to what nonsense you believe.

Being a little emotional? Reactionary? Relax, it was an example... Substitute whatever you want, these choices are not central to my point.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 01:18 PM

Ooooh... burn!

I think you have a poor grasp on my "ilk".

KittyKat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2010, 01:29 PM

Unlike you I'm as mellow as can be. As for the Repub's closet gays, my 'gaydar' says there are quite a few and I think more than one lies about their fake tan.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2010, 03:53 PM

So I guess everyone has seen the video of him being asked a question and responding by grabbing the students arm and neck. What do you think should happen? Arrested and arraigned for assault? Kicked out of Congress? given an award for being a typical Democrat? Where has Pelosi been during all this? Prepping Alvin Green?

YouTube - Congressman Assaults Student on Washington Sidewalk
Welcome to like 3 months ago.

As for what should happen to the good Congressman? I'd say the same thing that should happen to Carl Paladino for threatening a NY Post reporter. Prosecute them for the crime that was committed.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Welcome to check the post date before making smart ass remarks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2010, 03:56 PM

As for what should happen to the good Congressman? I'd say the same thing that should happen to Carl Paladino for threatening a NY Post reporter. Prosecute them for the crime that was committed.

OAW
Yes, welcome to about three months ago (when this thread was started).

Edit: And welcome to being outfasted by Dakar for me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 03:58 PM

OAW
WOW, you are so PWNED

Edit: rats, only #3 I shouldn't wait so long to submit my reply.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Yes, welcome to about three months ago (when this thread was started).
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WOW, you are so PWNED

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2010, 04:03 PM

I admit it fellas. I saw what I thought was a new thread and was like WTF? Over here "multi-tasking" and didn't look at the post date at all. Not even a little bit. All I can do now is embrace my shame like a man!!

OAW

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Hey, just as long as you recognise that you’re the bottom in the yellow hat here.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2010, 12:51 PM

Post-midterm update:

Just thought it was interesting to note that Republican strategists have now acknowledged using "guerrilla tactics," including those in the case of Etheridge, as part of their overall strategy heading into these midterms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/us...l?ref=politics

(11th paragraph down)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2010, 01:08 PM

I really hate politics.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 5, 2010, 02:49 PM

Do people really still use the term "pwned?"

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Do people really still use the term "pwned?"
That was so last month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules