Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Donald Duck/Glenn Beck Remix

Donald Duck/Glenn Beck Remix
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 09:56 PM

I don't mean to stir the old left/right controversy shit pot, but I'm hoping that regardless of your politics you'll be impressed with this remix, which I think is quite well done leaving all political arguments out of the picture and just looking at the execution of this piece...

YouTube - Donald Duck Meets Glenn Beck in Right Wing Radio Duck

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2010, 10:28 PM

my only question is if you would have posted it if it was obama or his ilk.

my guess, not on your life.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 10:30 PM

Note to self: Donald Duck remixes result in confrontations here on MacNN...

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2010, 11:15 PM

You really need to stop being so self diluted. You knew exactly what kind of replies you wanted to get. You even try to put a spin on it. I was simply pointing out the fact that I do not believe you would post the same thing of people that share your views.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 11:57 PM

Okay, whatever...

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lint Police View Post
You really need to stop being so self diluted.
Yeah besson3c, quit making yourself thinner or weaker by the addition of water or the like,it will only reduce your strength, force or efficiency by admixture.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 07:23 AM

How to ensure a wealth of material:
Step 1. Use others' material
Step 2. Use others' material

lame

As an aside, I hear Phil Collins is doing a Motown thing.
ebuddy

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2010, 07:36 AM

I empathize with Donald, it's a hard world out there for a duck. He can't even afford pants!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't mean to stir the old left/right controversy shit pot, but I'm hoping that regardless of your politics you'll be impressed with this remix, which I think is quite well done leaving all political arguments out of the picture and just looking at the execution of this piece...

YouTube - Donald Duck Meets Glenn Beck in Right Wing Radio Duck
Haha.. nice.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 5, 2010, 08:58 AM

1) Donald Duck is funny, often because he flies off the handle with little provocation.

2) Glenn Beck is loud and self-righteous about his opinions, which often make him look like he's flying off the handle for little provocation. But he's sneaky about it, quietly stirring a pot and adding unsubstantiated opinions dressed as facts and faulty conclusions presented as "truth," all to make that pot boil over. For, I might add, his own profit.

Even if I agreed with Glenn's positions on just about anything, I would distance myself from him because he's so intense and polarizing. Instead of pointing out "this is a problem, let's try to fix it," all he does is point and scream. He doesn't even make a good effort at making fun of things he thinks should be made fun of (for that, look to Penn & Teller...).

Sometimes even people who are right need to be deflated and calmed down. Watching him manipulate poor Donald is a good example of how he really works. As do a lot of other vocal, polarizing figures. Somehow the more conservative end of the spectrum has the vast majority of such windbags.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 09:19 AM

All I saw was a duck with anger issues get himself fired in a bad economy and blame others for his problems.

I don't really care for Beck, too much of a religious nut for me. I also don't care that he's polarizing. We need more of that, not less. All these decades of compromising hasn't done us a damn bit of good. All we are doing is compromising our principles and rights away. For what? So we can feel good about how well we get along with each other? No thanks.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Yeah besson3c, quit making yourself thinner or weaker by the addition of water or the like,it will only reduce your strength, force or efficiency by admixture.
Beat me to it.

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I also don't care that he's polarizing. We need more of that, not less. All these decades of compromising hasn't done us a damn bit of good. All we are doing is compromising our principles and rights away. For what? So we can feel good about how well we get along with each other? No thanks.
Is this the appropriate thread for me to make the comment, "You're a strange duck" ?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 11:14 AM

My major problem with Beck isn't actually his ridiculous notions, but the hypocrisy. Probably why he's on the Daily Show so often because he constantly tells people one thing, then does the complete opposite.

I also despise the man for how he treated a competitor, going as far as to ridicule the woman on air over her miscarriage. The guy's just an outright assh*le.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 12:16 PM

I just thought that this was a clever remix. Usually they are rather lame, but this one looks like some work went behind it in collecting all of these different clips and developing a narrative that coincided with the clips and stuff.

finboy
Oct 5, 2010, 12:28 PM

Note to self: Donald Duck remixes result in confrontations here on MacNN...
No, hateful propaganda using popular children's characters and fearmongering results in confrontations here on MacNN.

The DD thing is just stupid, but I see it's getting a lot of good viralness. It shows how the Leftoids can say whatever they want without a challenge.

If this had been about Obama's brainwashing and empty promises, and fearmongering against the conservatives, not only would it have been tagged as racist but it wouldn't get any airplay. Double standard.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2010, 12:32 PM

Propaganda? Someone went to the Beck School of Drama.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
No, hateful propaganda using popular children's characters and fearmongering results in confrontations here on MacNN.

The DD thing is just stupid, but I see it's getting a lot of good viralness. It shows how the Leftoids can say whatever they want without a challenge.

If this had been about Obama's brainwashing and empty promises, and fearmongering against the conservatives, not only would it have been tagged as racist but it wouldn't get any airplay. Double standard.
Your outrage is a little overblown. Racist? Really? I hate how I keep harping on this whenever the topic comes up but the right's complaining about charges of racism in the political sphere is so tone-deaf I can't help it. Complaining about Obama doesn't make you racist. Complaining about Obama in some way that touches on past, racist portrayals of blacks makes you racially insensitive (and potentially racist). Unless you are being deliberately ironic. Oh, the line gets so fuzzy in these issues dealing with real live human emotions. So no, a "remix" of Obama and Donald Duck would not be racist. A remix of Obama and something else might be.

And I'm sure any comically negative Obama video gets lots of "airplay" in conservative online circles, just as this one gets in liberal online circles.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 12:39 PM

Huh? I'm sure there are *tons* of similar YouTube videos about Obama's empty promises and whatever else. This is YouTube we are talking about, not national TV, so there is no "airplay".

As far as material for a video like this, using Glenn Beck as the subject that makes DD afraid is, from what I understand, low dangling fruit. The sheer quantity of GB footage being dramatic and/or apocalyptic about something that is lacking any subtlety making it useful for a video like this likely outnumbers video of Obama or any other president we've ever had doing the same by vast quantities. Even if GB does go about this with some subtlety, it is still easy to splice his audio clips because he is probably far less selective about what he'll fear monger about since he has to fill time for each of his shows.

Why is it that some people can't seem to be light hearted enough about things to step back and enjoy a stupid video like this, even if it makes fun of their own whatever (whatever Glenn Beck is to the right)? I laugh my ass off at people like Jon Stewart lambasting the Democrats all the time, it's not a big deal. Both parties, ideologies, and/or the associated rhetoric has their laughable shortcomings.

If you are so invested that Donald Duck puts your panties in a wad, something's not right.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2010, 12:45 PM

Why is it that some people can't seem to be light hearted enough about things to step back and enjoy a stupid video like this, even if it makes fun of their own party? I laugh my ass off at people like Jon Stewart lambasting the Democrats all the time, it's not a big deal.
Because its politics. Why is it you can't seem to learn that lesson after years here?

Easy rule: Don't post a video you think is funny unless it's about your political leaning. Unless you're willing to risk being flamed.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 01:08 PM

I mostly thought the video was clever and creative more so than funny. The only funny part (and this part was funny) was when Donald had his telescope and was counting Pluto, Mickey, and Goofy as being commies or marxist.

KittyKat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2010, 01:14 PM

Offensive and funny are two different animals. It takes someone with a speckling of brain power to know the difference.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Offensive and funny are two different animals. It takes someone with a speckling of brain power to know the difference.

You were offended that Donald thought that Mickey, Pluto, and Goofy were commies/marxist?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 01:28 PM

People are offended when you imply their political beliefs are cartoonish, for no reason other than that they disagree with you. Surprised?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
People are offended when you imply their political beliefs are cartoonish, for no reason other than that they disagree with you. Surprised?

I guess. To me this was pretty clearly in the satire category though, and also satarizing (is that a word?!) Glenn Beck, not Republicans in general, and the ideology of fear which many on the right (and left) claim they are not a part of.

I guess it would follow that these same people disliked the last episode of Family Guy/Rush Limbaugh, the Daily Show/Colbert Report, South Park, late night TV in general, the Simpsons, SNL, and anything else that is clearly satire against either the right or left? If so, life must be a little more dull without the ability to withstand a little satire in good humor.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 01:37 PM

I'd also like to know what beliefs in particular within this piece were shed in an offensive light?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 01:38 PM

Lame. It's simply not funny. The only thing well done, is the original animation of course. As an animator myself, I hate seeing people defecate on great works of the past, especially people with not even the faintest shadow of the original brains, talent and wit that went into the original work. It has nothing to do with whatever political view, lame is lame regardless.

Lamers who pee themselves over talk show hosts should literally get some new material.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 01:54 PM

I guess it would follow that these same people disliked the last episode of Family Guy/Rush Limbaugh, the Daily Show/Colbert Report, South Park, late night TV in general, the Simpsons, SNL, and anything else that is clearly satire against either the right or left? If so, life must be a little more dull without the ability to withstand a little satire in good humor.
I didn't think the donald duck piece or the latest Family Guy were any good. Why? You said it yourself: they weren't really funny, just "clever." "Clever" means you agree with their message, not that you are pleased by the craftsmanship. They weren't funny because they were nothing more than taking one person's words and pasting them on another person/character. That's not funny, and actually it's not all that "clever" either. Colbert, South Park, SNL, and oftentimes Stewart all add something that is actually the challenging part, jokes. Jokes are the key. The actual "humor" part is required for people to find it "humorous."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 02:01 PM

"Clever", the way I used this word, was intended to be in the context of a remix. It takes a certain amount of cleverness to see that certain source material can be combined with other source material to create something new. Like I said, I'm usually not a big fan of remixes, but I think this one was well done from a craftsmanship standpoint.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 02:13 PM

There's not even any lip-sync to deal with. I don't get what's so great about it.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
There's not even any lip-sync to deal with. I don't get what's so great about it.

You'll notice that the footage was from several different DD episodes. Piecing all of this together was what impressed me, I guess.

dzp111
Senior User
Oct 5, 2010, 09:47 PM

The only times I ever subject myself to listening or watching Glenn Beck, in any way shape or form, is on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Otherwise..,
!

In fact I didn't even watch the DD/Beck video.

I try not to be an opinionated goof, but hey, what comes around goes around.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

finboy
Oct 5, 2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Your outrage is a little overblown. Racist? Really? I hate how I keep harping on this whenever the topic comes up but the right's complaining about charges of racism in the political sphere is so tone-deaf I can't help it. Complaining about Obama doesn't make you racist. Complaining about Obama in some way that touches on past, racist portrayals of blacks makes you racially insensitive (and potentially racist).
No outrage. Just trying to comment on the video and what it was designed to do - further propagandize the talking points. Worked!!!

Insensitive? This illustrates my point. No matter what criticism is offered, it eventually ends up as being racist because of who said it (a conservative).

I agree that it's an impressive mashup, but it's impressive to impress or restate to the fanboys out there, and it absolutely, positively reeks of propaganda. The only out is the stated intent, but even then there's more symbolism than they want to admit to. Subtle symbolism usually equates to propaganda. At least it's called that when the talking heads on The Right do it, and rightly so.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 11:37 PM

What are the talking points and who are they directed towards?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 11:59 PM

Haha... Glenn Beck responded saying it was well made.

"It is some of the best well made propaganda I have ever seen…We are looking into this gentleman and this incredible propaganda against me" – Glenn Beck

It's a mass conspiracy against Glenn Beck. Who's behind it?

Nazi's? Commies? Marxist? Unions?

Obviously ACORN!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I'm hoping to stir the old left/right controversy shit pot, using Glenn Beck as the subject that makes Democrats all the time afraid, even if it is developing a narrative of their own laughable shortcomings.

To me this ideology of fear takes a certain amount of making life be a little more dull.

I guess I would follow that with dramatic and/or apocalyptic rhetoric, lacking any subtlety.

Why is it that some people can't seem to be impressed with the vast quantities of low dangling fruit which I fear monger about?

Note to self: some people with panties in a wad, collecting all of these different clips as material for a stupid video like this was rather lame.

YouTube - Dumbo Says Barney Frank is F'ing Goofy
Heh heh, just my own remix of besson3c posts in this thread.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 06:38 AM

I'd also like to know what beliefs in particular within this piece were shed in an offensive light?
offensive? I don't know if that's the word I'd use and silly seems too obvious, but ironic might work. The creator is trying to illustrate how Glenn Beck works his listeners to a paranoid frenzy over Marxists and Nazis while playing into a paranoid frenzy over Glenn Beck.
ebuddy

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2010, 09:30 AM

Rickrolling, really? Can I infract for a timeline violation?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Is this the appropriate thread for me to make the comment, "You're a strange duck" ?
Very punny.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2010, 09:56 AM

Well, I couldn't get away with calling you daffy.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
offensive? I don't know if that's the word I'd use and silly seems too obvious, but ironic might work. The creator is trying to illustrate how Glenn Beck works his listeners to a paranoid frenzy over Marxists and Nazis while playing into a paranoid frenzy over Glenn Beck.
I wouldn't use the word "paranoid frenzy" when describing the feelings that the author of this invokes over Glenn Beck. I would say distrusting, that Beck's intents are malicious and manipulative, but not the same crap-your-pants frenzy that Donald Duck is experiencing...

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2010, 02:11 PM

What are the talking points and who are they directed towards?

I'm looking forward to some answers here...

It seems to me that when Liberals criticize Glenn Beck they are told to unwad their panties because Beck is not a politician but just a commentator, but when Liberal entertainers criticize Beck Beck is all of a sudden a representative of ideology and therefore criticism against him is propaganda?

Just trying to sort this out...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Insensitive? This illustrates my point. No matter what criticism is offered, it eventually ends up as being racist because of who said it (a conservative).
Simply put: no. If that is your perception, it says more about the way you place yourself between the Left's crazies and the Right's crazies than it does about reality.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 06:08 PM

I wouldn't use the word "paranoid frenzy" when describing the feelings that the author of this invokes over Glenn Beck. I would say distrusting, that Beck's intents are malicious and manipulative, but not the same crap-your-pants frenzy that Donald Duck is experiencing...
So... the creator is being malicious and manipulative. Again, I don't see how he's doing anything differently than Beck.
ebuddy

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2010, 06:21 PM

So... the creator is being malicious and manipulative. Again, I don't see how he's doing anything differently than Beck.

I'm not sure why you are getting hung up on this.

The narrative was that Beck is a fear mongerer, and that because of this he is manipulative and malicious. What's the big deal?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 07:16 PM

I'm looking forward to some answers here...

It seems to me that when Liberals criticize Glenn Beck they are told to unwad their panties because Beck is not a politician but just a commentator, but when Liberal entertainers criticize Beck Beck is all of a sudden a representative of ideology and therefore criticism against him is propaganda?

Just trying to sort this out...
Let me see if I can help.
First of all, both sources of criticism involve wadded panties and propaganda.

Liberal pundits more concerned for a talk show pundit than their representatives have skewed priorities. Hence the term "panties in a wad". Of course, these folks are welcome to work their panties into a lather over Glenn Beck, but it seems their efforts would be more effective by reconciling classic liberalism with progressivism as they have much at odds right now and it's causing a great deal of problems within the party they're shilling for. After all, Beck is just a commentator.

Liberal entertainers that criticize Beck have creative license to fabricate material. Hence the term, "propaganda". They are popularizing misinformation under the guise of parody. Unfortunately, these parodies become the only source of "news" for folks who need their broccoli with cheese and butter on it to make it palatable.

In short, Beck causes liberal pundits' wadded panties and liberal entertainers' obligatory, slanderous material. While Glenn Beck has made a career of railing on socialism, marxism, corruption, and croneyism, I've not once seen the claims without more information than most who don't appreciate him would be willing to listen to. Honestly, his work and his sources are exhaustive. This is why you will literally never see a substantive refutation of his claims, only critiques of him personally or his religion/delivery/personality.

While there are a variety of folks who oppose Glenn Beck, they all share the following basic traits;
  • sympathetic to the ideals he opposes and/or ignorant of these ideals to the extent that they'd find the growth or existence of them impossible.
  • shills for the party most offended by the ideals he supports.
  • desperate for material to discuss.
  • ignorant of both his radio and tv programs, more familiar with what his detractors have to say.
Don't take my word for it. Next time you're out and about and you hear a critique of Beck, ask some probing questions to substantiate the claim. They won't have a clue. Seriously, it never fails. This is the product of misinformation and wadded panties. BTW, it's not limited to liberal pundits and entertainers.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 07:26 PM

I'm not sure why you are getting hung up on this.

The narrative was that Beck is a fear mongerer, and that because of this he is manipulative and malicious. What's the big deal?
But the narrative itself is fear mongering, manipulative, and malicious. That's all I'm saying. It's no bigger a deal than you're making of it really.
ebuddy

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, I couldn't get away with calling you daffy.
No, I suppose not. That would be looney.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2010, 08:46 PM

Glenn Beck is a looney toon.

Anyone who also thinks Glenn Beck has substance is also a looney toon. In this case, Donald Duck.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2010, 08:50 PM

…In short, Beck causes liberal pundits' wadded panties and liberal entertainers' obligatory, slanderous material. While Glenn Beck has made a career of railing on socialism, marxism, corruption, and croneyism, I've not once seen the claims without more information than most who don't appreciate him would be willing to listen to. Honestly, his work and his sources are exhaustive. This is why you will literally never see a substantive refutation of his claims, only critiques of him personally or his religion/delivery/personality.

While there are a variety of folks who oppose Glenn Beck, they all share the following basic traits;
  • sympathetic to the ideals he opposes and/or ignorant of these ideals to the extent that they'd find the growth or existence of them impossible.
  • shills for the party most offended by the ideals he supports.
  • desperate for material to discuss.
  • ignorant of both his radio and tv programs, more familiar with what his detractors have to say.

Don't take my word for it. Next time you're out and about and you hear a critique of Beck, ask some probing questions to substantiate the claim. They won't have a clue. Seriously, it never fails. This is the product of misinformation and wadded panties. BTW, it's not limited to liberal pundits and entertainers.
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post

Anyone who also thinks Glenn Beck has substance is also a looney toon. In this case, Donald Duck.
Right on cue

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post

I won't quibble about how Disney didn't make Looney Toons... In part because I have to agree with your point.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules