Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Civ IV

Civ IV
vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2008, 10:52 PM

I'm about to buy a 24" iMac and I'm wondering how well Civ IV would play through Parallels or Boot Camp if I were to install the Windows version of it. I currently have Civ IV for OS X, but I really want to pick up Beyond the Sword, which isn't out for Mac yet. I'm thinking about picking up the Windows versions, but I'm not sure how well they'll play.

Anybody out there play Civ IV for Windows on this (or a similar) Mac? Or know if a Mac version of Beyond the Sword is coming out soon?

P
Nov 21, 2008, 06:17 AM

You don't mention what GPU you have in that iMac, but I play Civ IV BTS on the HTPC on occasion. It's not particularly demanding.

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2008, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
You don't mention what GPU you have in that iMac, but I play Civ IV BTS on the HTPC on occasion. It's not particularly demanding.
HTPC?

Sorry, forgot to include the specs, 3.06GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor and the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512 MB of VRAM and 4 GB of RAM.

I don't think it'll be an issue, I'm just worried about how Parallels or VMware would affect game play.

P
Nov 22, 2008, 11:04 AM

Home Theater PC. Wintel box in the living room that I use to watch TV programs and moveies (upconverting DVDs) but also occasionally for gaming, as the Mac is an old G5.

With that GPU, you should not have any problems under Boot Camp. The latest version of Parallels apparently improves gaming graphics as well, but I have no experience of well it works.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2008, 01:41 PM

Civ IV works perfectly through WINE for Linux, although I've never tried it under WINE for OS X.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 09:02 PM

Any idea when this might be ported to the Mac version? I thought since the whole game was written in Python and XML it would be a breeze to keep expansions in check on the Mac.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 09:04 PM

…and to answer my own question:

"I'd love for us to do Civ: BTS for Mac. I can't say absolutely we'll never do it (thank goodness!) but also can't say 100% we are going to do it. There are non-technical reasons it hasn't come to the Mac yet, and being in Development, those are out of my control, unfortunately. In a perfect world we'd have ported it and released it simultaneous with the PC (which we could have done technically), but for no single person's or company's fault it didn't happen that way.
Glenda"

That's Glenda Adams, Developer, Aspyr Media.
http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/...hl=&pid=340724

So yeah, purely political/business - technically there was nothing to stop them. Sigh.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 09:15 PM

…and:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I can understand you wish to know more about how we choose titles to port to Mac. We continually evaluate games to be brought over to the platform, looking at several factors including its popularity, whether the Mac market is interested in the game, whether the company that owns the rights is interested in having a Mac version, and how hard it would be to port over (for example, if a game using the same software engine has already been ported, it becomes much easier for us to have it done). Our customers are one of the sources of determining interest, so we thank you for your mail.

However the Civ 4 series is a bit different. Warlords did not produce a great number of sales, far less than was expected. There is also the problem of programing for Civ 4, now as I said above using the same engine as previous game usually makes porting new titles easier, that is not the case for the Civ 4 titles. While the actual game is fairly stable (not perfect of course) the code behind it on the PC side is a mess. This kind of thrown together code makes it difficult to port the game and fix problems that arise in the port. Due to the sheer number of problems we have encountered with working with the PC code for the Civ 4 titles it may be that production does not wish to have to go through it again. For instance when patching games it usually takes a couple of weeks or as much as eight weeks. Civ 4 patches take us months to program and test because of constant problems.

I wish I could give better news about BTS for Civ 4 but at this time we have no plans to port the expansion.

Have a nice day,
Aspyr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by vcutag View Post
I'm about to buy a 24" iMac and I'm wondering how well Civ IV would play through Parallels or Boot Camp if I were to install the Windows version of it.
I'm playing Civ 4 on Bootcamp, works w/o a problem on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo iMac.

I never tried using CrossOver, but their website states it's compatible.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 11:57 PM

If you are going to run it in a VM environment you need to make sure that the game and VM host work together to support 3D acceleration. You aren't going to have any fun with a game like Civ with no 3D support.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you are going to run it in a VM environment you need to make sure that the game and VM host work together to support 3D acceleration. You aren't going to have any fun with a game like Civ with no 3D support.
I'm not sure if CrossOver does, but we'll know in a moment. I'm installing it right now.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm not sure if CrossOver does, but we'll know in a moment. I'm installing it right now.
Unfortunately, no dice.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2008, 12:33 AM

Crossover is not a VM, nor is it an emulator. It will support DirectX and provide 3D acceleration. My wife plays Civ IV all the time under WINE for Linux.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2008, 12:36 AM

Crossover is not a VM, nor is it an emulator. It will support DirectX and provide 3D acceleration. My wife plays Civ IV all the time under WINE for Linux.
I guess I must have done something wrong with the install. Don't have time right now to tinker with it tough.

-t

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 05:37 PM

Anybody play Civ IV on a MacBook using Boot camp? (MacBook, 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 160GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics).

I'm thinking of doing this if it works.

I also want to play Sim City 4 so if anyone has any input on that I would appreciate it as well.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2008, 04:31 PM

Update: I've since bought the iMac (24" of amazing computer goodness) in question and have set up a Boot Camp partition that I'm accessing through VMware Fusion. If I try to run it through VMware, I can't run Civ IV. If I reboot into Windows, it runs fine, except for the audio sounding like it's coming through a tin can telephone.

The error message I get when I try to run through VMware is this:

Any ideas how to fix? I'd really like to be able to run everything through VMware instead of having to reboot.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2008, 09:58 PM

If I reboot into Windows, it runs fine, except for the audio sounding like it's coming through a tin can telephone.
Does it sound bad through external speakers or headphones too or it is just through the iMac's speakers?
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2008, 10:00 PM

You know, I'm not sure. Haven't tried it with headphones, I'll have to do that and get back to you.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 12:07 AM

Update: I've since bought the iMac (24" of amazing computer goodness) in question and have set up a Boot Camp partition that I'm accessing through VMware Fusion. If I try to run it through VMware, I can't run Civ IV. If I reboot into Windows, it runs fine, except for the audio sounding like it's coming through a tin can telephone.

The error message I get when I try to run through VMware is this:

Any ideas how to fix? I'd really like to be able to run everything through VMware instead of having to reboot.

You can't. As long as VMWare's Direct3D acceleration thing is enabled, it either works or it doesn't - it's still considered experimental.

Your best bet for any and all 3D Windows games is WINE. I don't know how far along WINE/Crossover are on OS X, but they work well under Linux.

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
Does it sound bad through external speakers or headphones too or it is just through the iMac's speakers?
After checking, it sounds like it's a problem with the speakers in all Windows apps; my guess is a driver at this point. When I play the game with headphones, I can hear a subtle difference from the way it's supposed to sound, but I chalk that up to the earphones. It's nowhere near as tinny as the speakers.

What I don't understand is that I used the system discs to install Windows drivers for the Mac hardware. That should have taken care of it, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules