Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Accessing my iDisk from a PC

Accessing my iDisk from a PC
devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2000, 09:26 AM

For reasons that aren't worth explaining I need to upload a file to my iDisk from a PC. Obviously I won't be able to mount it and just drag the file to the folder like I do on the Mac. (Great feature, by the way.)

I imagine using an FTP program is the way to go but I can't seem to log on. I've tried to connect to ftp.mac.com, mac.com, and homepage.mac.com and none of them will connect.

Has anyone successfully accessed their iDisk from an FTP program, or know of any other way to do it from a PC?

Thanks.

->Later.....Spice

Polopo43
Apr 2, 2001, 05:09 AM

Same question here...
Thanks in advance !
Polopo

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2001, 09:21 AM

I tried this a couple of weeks ago at a friend's house, and we tried about five different means but couldn't get it to happen.

Polopo43
Apr 2, 2001, 10:58 AM

Thanks !

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2001, 02:08 PM

You can no do it, end of story.

As for the guy who tired FTP...Apple is not running FTP services as part of iTools. They are running AFP over TCP/IP...not the same animal by a long shot...this would be like thinking you could use an FTP client to browse your PCs Network Neighborhood. Different protocols, doesn't work that way.

Personally I would prefer an upload directory accessible via the web much like the current iTools file sharing page is setup, only for placing instead of downloading.

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2001, 04:33 AM

Hi all,

As spicyjeff indicated above, MS Windows doesn't currently provide a "native" way to access iDisk. However, it is supposedly possible to do so if you install "suitable" AFP-over-IP peer/client software (which supports DHX authentication), or even a full-fledged Mac emulator, on your Windows machine.

For instance, you might be able to connect to 'idisk.mac.com' via one of the Windows AFP-over-IP peer/client utilities listed on MacWindows.com's Cross-Platform Networking web page, such as Thursby Software's TSStalk (a free trial version is available).

On the other hand, the full-fledged Mac emulation approach (which is convoluted & "gray market") would be to first install one of the MacOS/68K emulators listed on MacWindows.com's Mac Emulators for PCs web page, such as the freeware/open-source Basilisk II. [Note that these Mac emulators can run only older (i.e., 68K-compatible) Mac OS versions; they also typically require the creation of a special 68K "ROM file" (e.g., by downloading the ROM from a 68K Mac).] Then, it would also be necessary to use the trick for accessing iTools services from pre-9.x systems.

A longer-term option, as spicyjeff also mentioned, would be to wait for Apple to officially provide iDisk-uploading capabilities for non-Mac users.

[Of course, if you're pressed for time and absolutely need online storage, you could always try using one of the various free & "platform-neutral" services, such as iDrive.com or Myspace.com (FreeDiskSpace.com), etc.]

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 04-04-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules