Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mac osx webserver....

mac osx webserver....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2010, 09:13 PM

hi

I want to host my website from powermac g5

I have enabled 'personal web sharing'

I have been able to look at the website from my other macs over the wireless network -but not over a separate internet connection (e.g - my mobile broadband)

is it not possible to have my site available on the internet for anyone to browse?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2010, 10:14 PM

Your router needs tonsend thebtraffic from the WAN to the LAN. Look into Port forwarding.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 10:30 PM

You will also need something doing DNS lookups for you, do you have a publicly accessible DNS server setup?

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Your router needs tonsend thebtraffic from the WAN to the LAN. Look into Port forwarding.
currently under the port forwarding panel of my broadband router it says 'remote assistance'

It gives you the option of adding another service - is this what you were talking about?

how do I go about it?

Rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You will also need something doing DNS lookups for you, do you have a publicly accessible DNS server setup?
I don't know if I do - how do I find out?

rich

ibook_steve
Jul 31, 2010, 11:15 AM

If you're going to have a web server, you're going to have to understand the concepts that were just asked of you.

Port forwarding forwards requests to port 80 (the http web port) to the machine on your network that can respond to them, namely your web server.

DNS allows a person on the Internet to get to your web server using a name like http://www.whatever.com instead of having to enter an IP address. You'll need to register a domain name with a provider and be able to serve info about that domain, like what IP address to go to for www.whatever.com[ vs. mail.whatever.com, either on the provider's name servers or if you set up your own.

Basically, if you really want to do this, you need to do a bit more research to understand what you are getting into and how to do it.

As an alternative, you can host your web site somewhere else, like if you used iWeb with MobileMe to have your site hosted on me.com. This way, you don't have to worry about any of these issues.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 12:12 PM

Yeah. I don't know what it is like in the UK, but around here upload bandwidth typically offered by ISPs in their regular/entry level internet service packages is really quite poor, so if you were to host your site on an ISP that has aggressive upload caps the performance of your site would be piss poor anyway.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
If you're going to have a web server, you're going to have to understand the concepts that were just asked of you.

Port forwarding forwards requests to port 80 (the http web port) to the machine on your network that can respond to them, namely your web server.

DNS allows a person on the Internet to get to your web server using a name like car insurance credit card application at whatever.com instead of having to enter an IP address. You'll need to register a domain name with a provider and be able to serve info about that domain, like what IP address to go to for car insurance credit card application at whatever.com[ vs. mail.whatever.com, either on the provider's name servers or if you set up your own.

Basically, if you really want to do this, you need to do a bit more research to understand what you are getting into and how to do it.

As an alternative, you can host your web site somewhere else, like if you used iWeb with MobileMe to have your site hosted on me.com. This way, you don't have to worry about any of these issues.

Steve
Hi. Yes i know about linking a www. domain name to my ip address, the problem I have is configuring the router.

I've currently set DMZ host to my IP address - is that correct setting so that anyone over the internet can see my website?

under port fowarding ive selected server - webserver

I've set protocal to TCP and Port to 80

is that the correct way of configuring the router? or am I completely wrong?

rich

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2010, 02:08 PM

If:

telnet <your internet IP address> 80

establishes a connection, your router is setup correctly. If:

host <your domain>

resolves, your DNS is setup correctly. If:

telnet localhost 80

establishes a connection, your webserver is up and running and listening on port 80. Could you let us know what the results of these tests are?

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2010, 09:01 AM

If:

telnet <your internet IP address> 80

establishes a connection, your router is setup correctly. If:

host <your domain>

resolves, your DNS is setup correctly. If:

telnet localhost 80

establishes a connection, your webserver is up and running and listening on port 80. Could you let us know what the results of these tests are?
this is how I've got the port forwarding set up at the moment:

http://www.btinternet.com/~elena.ogorman/portfoward.jpg

rich

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2010, 12:39 PM

You don't need the DNS port forward.
The remote assistance entry is useless since it seems that you are running on a 192.168.1.0 network.

So, yes I can browse your web server on port 80, but you don't have an index.html to load by default - I got a directory listing.
Also, there are several different sites, I'm sure you know that though.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
You don't need the DNS port forward.
The remote assistance entry is useless since it seems that you are running on a 192.168.1.0 network.

So, yes I can browse your web server on port 80, but you don't have an index.html to load by default - I got a directory listing.
Also, there are several different sites, I'm sure you know that though.
it's actually working for you?

could you try it again and let me know if you can still see the directory listing? - because I might have changed something in the router settings since then.

rich.
( Last edited by rich82fox; Aug 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2010, 01:14 PM

The directory listing setting is an Apache setting, not a router setting, specifically the DirectoryIndex parameter and the mod_dir module.

That being said, I don't have your IP/DNS name so I can't confirm that your server is accessible.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2010, 01:24 PM

The directory listing setting is an Apache setting, not a router setting, specifically the DirectoryIndex parameter and the mod_dir module.

That being said, I don't have your IP/DNS name so I can't confirm that your server is accessible.
the address under personal webserver panel is http://192.168.1.4/

that's the address I've been trying to bring my website up with over an internet connection. (I've been using a laptop with mobile broadband to try and access my site directory but nothing comes up

but perhaps that IP cannot be accessed over the internet?

rich

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2010, 01:31 PM

You're right, the IP address you mentioned is a private LAN IP, this cannot be accessed via the internet.

You can find your external IP address by visiting What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
You're right, the IP address you mentioned is a private LAN IP, this cannot be accessed via the internet.

You can find your external IP address by visiting What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address
right so if I go another computer (e.g - internet cafe) and type it in http://my external ip

it will bring up my website directory? (because typing that on mac at home brings me to the router config screen.)

rich

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2010, 03:02 PM

I have a couple of theories as to why you might be noticing that behavior if that is the case, but nothing concrete comes to mind right now that can be offered without introducing other potentially confusing variables.

Are you comfortable with sharing your IP and DNS name with us for troubleshooting purposes?

OreoCookie
Aug 2, 2010, 03:49 PM

You can use a free service such as dyndns to automate IP forwarding. Did I mention it's free?

You can register an address that looks like my_great_mac_server.dyndns.org. You need to set up port forwarding at your router (as mentioned before) so that the http request is actually forwarded to your mac.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules