Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Strange hold ups with Safari and iTunes

Strange hold ups with Safari and iTunes
porrid
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2012, 08:57 PM

Safari was until 3 months ago my preferred browser, but since then it's behaved irrationally. The most annoying issue is after returning to some opened web pages after say half an hour spent elsewhere all the web pages are empty. When it goes to reload the pages it sometimes balks at working immediately, the beach ball often shows up at that point and stalls my workflow for 5 to 10 minutes, which if I manage to navigate to another app in another Space, the beach ball reappears and takes another period of noticeable wasted time to cease spinning !

Simultaneously to that iTunes frequently gets the beach ball, which I find odd since all the through-puts to it are closed. That is sharing and the app store are turned off ?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2012, 01:47 AM

There should be an FAQ about this. . . When multiple apps are beach balling, it means they're all getting held up by some slow or failing system resource. The most logical component to suspect is your hard drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Jan 9, 2012, 04:10 PM

Or the OP has a lot of apps open and not a lot of RAM, causing hard drive paging. I have 8 GB and still run into this if I'm running both a Parallels VM (set to 2 GB) and Chrome along with other apps. Love Chrome, hate the memory usage.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2012, 06:36 PM

During many visits by an Apple-Care engineer, to replace an unholy number of failed DVD drives, I was also encountering this issue with Safari, and I put it to him that my iMac's 3 meg of Ram perhaps wasn't enough to simultaneously run more than 6 major apps and 10 or more smaller apps, to which he retorted that 3 meg of Ram was the optimum amount for a 4 meg capable machine.

Due to this odd way Safari mostly doesn't behave normally anymore I have changed my method of use - only opening when I really need open having 3 or less tabs open and quitting after each use period. Since doing this the beach ball hasn't (touch wood) been appearing at all.

Safari has more so lately become a dog of an app and I'm thinking that either I'm running too many extensions or that one of them is corrupt or not working correctly ? So how would one know ? Fuirther to this perhaps I ought to remove them altogether, but how ?

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2012, 08:06 AM

Safari just completely seized trying to load this page, whereas Firefox loaded in less than 3 seconds ?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2012, 10:56 AM

Do you have the SafariRestore extension installed?

DON'T.

Forum Links
Forum Rules