Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Trashed installed App

Trashed installed App
porrid
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2012, 02:46 PM

Oh my dog! I've made an utterly stupid mistake.

I trashed an installed app without following proper procedure and it's seriously affecting everything !

Is there a method of recovery for 10.6 ?

ibook_steve
Sep 19, 2012, 01:43 PM

What app? And how is it "seriously affecting everything"?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 01:03 AM

And what is "proper procedure", as opposed to what you did?

"Proper procedure" is generally grabbing the damn thing and throwing it in the trash.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2012, 07:47 PM

The app I improperly trashed directly out of my Applications folder was VirtualBox.

It's one of those apps that requires your Admin password in order to install it. I learned this after downloading a newer version just to see how it is meant to be installed. I didn't, though install the new one.

Usually those kind of apps come with an uninstall script and this case it didn't, but it was quite old and I never once used it.

What I mean by proper procedure is either using an included Uninstall script which in this case it didn't have or using AppDelete. In my case I simply moved the app to the trash. Usually when one tries to move an Admin Installed app, OSX warns one against doing this via a pop up dialog and in this case that didn't happen.

After I trashed the App, Time Machine reported a Failed back up and then after each time I made a screenshot a dialog notice pops up warning me about not ejecting disks properly.

I don't know if this error has caused it, but my Time Machine external drive won't even mount now.

ibook_steve
Sep 23, 2012, 10:26 AM

These are two completely separate issues. Trashing an app should not mess up your TM drive. Use Disk Utility to run first aid on the drive. It may be dying.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2012, 07:28 PM

Ok, ibook_steve, thank you.

Since other issues are becoming evident, like Preview quitting each time I'm trying to save a pdf version of a jpeg or my Time Machine external Firewire 400 port no longer being recognized as an identifiable device, by the Apple System Profiler and to make matters worse although my external drive actually works any usb port on the back of my iMac also won't recognize my external back up drive. Just why both of these Time Machine port issues worked fine up until recently is rather disheartening and down right disappointing.

It therefore seems I'll have to reinstall the system, and am not looking forward to it since I will likely lose all the cool hacks that I've learnt from others will disappear, unless there is a way of storing and reinstalling those helpful navigation aspects ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules