Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Time Machine Error loop issue

Time Machine Error loop issue
porrid
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2013, 06:13 PM

I have a 500meg external hard drive set up in two partitions
the first partition is 120meg the second is 370meg.

I discovered through use that I needed to regularly erase Time Machine
then immediately restore it's operation.

Recently I struck an unusual problem where Time Machine shows it as occupying 399meg
and the therefore it can't back up. But how can this be since the allotted space is only 370meg
but checking from the get info box of the HD partition shows zero!

After doing the following procedure 4 times ie running Disk Utility
Erasing the volume and Repairing disk permissions.
Then running the back up again this error keeps showing up ?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 29, 2013, 01:23 PM

The smallest drive shipped in a Mac in the last 10 years was 30 GB (iBook 2002-2003). You'd have to go back to the 1990s to get a 500 MB drive. And it would be useless for Time Machine, since the catalog file alone could fill most of it. Did you salvage a drive from an old PowerMac 8100?

Time Machine should have at least 1.5x the size of your main drive(s). At absolute minimum, 1.5x the size of your used space. 2x the main drive(s) would be better.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2013, 03:52 AM

I think we can assume he meant GB not mb
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2013, 07:07 PM

Whoops, sorry yes I meant to say gigs. I guess it's no wonder this issue has been ignored or viewed with some skepticism.

I think my only alternative available is to physically take my machine and hard drive off to an engineer.

So the administrator is welcome to remove this post anytime you choose.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 31, 2013, 07:16 PM

We're willing to help, but we need a bit more info. What are the size(s) of your main drive(s)? The ones being backed up by Time Machine. And how much space is used/free on each?

Then this external 500 GB ... you partitioned it into 120 GB and 370 GB, but didn't say what you were using each for. Is Time Machine saving to the 370 external? And what is the 120 used for - in particular, is Time Machine backing up that 120 partition too? If so, we need to know the used/free space on it too.

Finally, this error message you mentioned. What does the error say exactly? You never said.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2013, 04:47 AM

My first suggestion would be to unpartition the drive and try using it with a single partition. You can still store other files on an external drive that's being used by time machine (which restricts itself to the backups.backup folder.

I wouldn't actually myself though. I tend to use dives soley for time machine. You can attach a second external drive and remove it from the do not backup list in the TM prefs. Time machine will then also backup your second external drive.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2013, 05:37 AM

Is this the same drive that failed back in September?
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...p/#post4192425

I am intrigued by the mention of "all the cool hacks that I've learnt from others" in the next post down.

It is quite possible to seriously mess up your system with "cool hacks", resulting in bizarre and unexpected consequences.

Forum Links
Forum Rules