Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Issues about upgrading 10.6 to 10.9 on 2007 iMac

Issues about upgrading 10.6 to 10.9 on 2007 iMac
porrid
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2014, 08:40 AM

I own an iMac released 2007 purchased in 2008 running Snow Leopard and I'm worried about updating to Mavericks without first getting an opportunity to read the usual read me file.

More importantly though, my iMac came with an installed 320 gig Western Digital hard drive and wondered if the 10.9 update also comes with a firmware update for the drive, having gleaned the folioing article

Western Digital Warns Mavericks Users of Data Loss
TidBITS: Western Digital Warns Mavericks Users of Data Loss

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 09:56 AM

That only affects the WD software that comes with their external drives.

It is not an issue with internal drives, nor indeed with the hard drives themselves at all.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2014, 01:37 AM

Thank you Spheric Harlot that's really important to know.

I wondered if it's critically important that Mavericks needs 4 gig of ram to run smoothly?
Presently I have 3gig

P
Mar 30, 2014, 06:30 AM

Admittedly never tried that particular combo. I would have said that 4 GB is critically important for Lion or Mountain Lion, but Mavericks handles low memory situations much better (memory compression). A 2GB DDR2 SODIMM is about $30 at new egg right now, so it's not too expensive to upgrade. A 4GB DIMM is much more expensive, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2014, 01:00 AM

Aye Moderator, although Apple is yet to officially announce not issuing any more support for Snow Leopard, I do realise it's on the cards as is evident by a continuing number of Mac blogs publish stories like this one:
Apple Support for Snow Leopard Wanes
TidBITS: Apple Support for Snow Leopard Wanes

And Whilst my machine will support 6gig of ram, evidenced in the Mactracker's Maximum Memory details 6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)

and it's possible to get this 6.0GB OWC Memory Upgrade Kit
2.0GB + 4.0GB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz 200 Pin

OWC 5300DDR2S6GP 6.0GB Kit (2.0GB+4.0GB) PC2-5300... in stock at OWC

I'm hoping I don't have to fly down that path, unless of course I'm unable to get a new machine first, hopefully before years end!

HamSandwich
Apr 4, 2014, 11:54 AM

My parents have 2007 iMacs, with 4 GB of RAM and Mavericks runs just fine. Don't worry.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 4, 2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by porrid View Post
Thank you Spheric Harlot that's really important to know.

I wondered if it's critically important that Mavericks needs 4 gig of ram to run smoothly?
Presently I have 3gig
Nothing wrong with migrating to Mav, then getting more RAM if you feel you need it afterwards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules