Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Looking to buy a new ipod or similar

Looking to buy a new ipod or similar
earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 03:58 PM

I have never owned an ipod, but would like to. But I was reading and hearing from others that it seems like they break down in the two years after the purchase.
Why are people's ipods seem to be dying after the two years or so?

I was also checking into the Creative Zen along with the ipod. Which one is better?

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 04:35 PM

iPod video hands down now. =Rip those YouTube files to your iPod.

iPod Nano for music or the Nike+ system.

The iPod batteries will die within 2 years for sure. ->Rip it open (carefully) and replace the battery with a better new one.

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the info

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2007, 11:22 AM

From what I have observed, they most commonly break down after two years (the full sized iPod, at least) because for whatever reason people seem to forget that there is a spinning hard drive inside, and they throw the thing around like it's a cell phone. Treat it right and it will treat you right.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 05:46 PM

CosmoPod - More Videos for your iPod $7.00

PodTube is worth a try. PodTube 1 was free, but has problems with YouTube sometimes (and I am a PodTube master). Maybe try PodTube 2 ??
There are many others also.

Rip those video files to audio also. Fill up those iPods.

Will need to buy some games for that iPod = Poker and Mr. PacMan are my favs. Ms. PacMan has larger boards and can be harder to play, faster etc.

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
From what I have observed, they most commonly break down after two years (the full sized iPod, at least) because for whatever reason people seem to forget that there is a spinning hard drive inside, and they throw the thing around like it's a cell phone. Treat it right and it will treat you right.
Thats good to know. Thanks.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 08:57 PM

Both of my iPods are over two years old and the work fine. I don't throw them around like most people do. The Creative Zen is the best iPod alternative, but it still isn't as good. For starters, the audio quality is questionable, it's heavier, harder to use, and Creative's support is some of the worst on the market.

Forum Links
Forum Rules