Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac bondi firmware issue.....

iMac bondi firmware issue.....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 05:34 PM

Hi everyone

I am trying to install OS9.2 onto an iMac Bondi blue 233mhz (tray loader type)

I have booted up from the OS9,2 CD and clicked install MAC OS9 - but it gives an error message saying:

"Your Mac's firmware is out of date..."

when I try to do the iMac (tray loader) firmware update it gives the error message:

" The iMac firmware updater cannot move necessary files to the current system folder because the volume is locked. Your firmware will not be updated Please restart from an unlocked volume."

I took the hard drive out of the iMac and put it into a powermac G3 and got the same error message...could this be a problem with the hard drive?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 04:06 AM

Have you tried simply reformatting the drive?

ickystay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2009, 05:26 AM

Maybe use the CD as your start up disc and install the update to the system folder on your hard drive.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Have you tried simply reformatting the drive?
Yes I booted from the OS9 cd and initialized the Hard drive (formatted it)

yet it simply wont let me run the mac os installer - I'm really stuck on this

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 09:24 PM

Either installer? The one for the firmware or the os 9 cd?

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2009, 05:53 AM

Either installer? The one for the firmware or the os 9 cd?
both

the installer of Mac OS says 'Firmware out of date'

and

the firmware updater says 'cannot move files to current system folder because the volume is locked - your firmware will not be updated'

rich

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2009, 05:58 AM

What if you copy the contents of the install disk to the hard drive. Then you can at least get it booted. Then you can maybe run the installer. Sounds like the firmware might be trying to install when you're booted off the OS 9 disk, which is read only because it's a CD

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2009, 02:01 PM

What if you copy the contents of the install disk to the hard drive. Then you can at least get it booted. Then you can maybe run the installer. Sounds like the firmware might be trying to install when you're booted off the OS 9 disk, which is read only because it's a CD
negative - I tried copying the system folder over and when I tried to boot of the ~ HD it said something along the lines of (this system folder is for cd booting only)

rich

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2009, 03:20 PM

So if you try to install 9.2 onto your PM G3, it gives you the firmware out of date error as well?

Might be worthwhile trying a different hard drive, or making sure the iMac hard drive is formatted first.

The issue with "The iMac firmware updater cannot move necessary files to the current system folder because the volume is locked. Your firmware will not be updated Please restart from an unlocked volume." is that it can't write to the CD... which is normal.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
So if you try to install 9.2 onto your PM G3, it gives you the firmware out of date error as well?

Might be worthwhile trying a different hard drive, or making sure the iMac hard drive is formatted first.

The issue with "The iMac firmware updater cannot move necessary files to the current system folder because the volume is locked. Your firmware will not be updated Please restart from an unlocked volume." is that it can't write to the CD... which is normal.

this same problem is happening with more than one hard drive - I have tried several

the one thing that is identical between all these hard drives is that when booted from them it asks for some sort of network password (to which I don't have password) I have tried formatting the disks - but the same firmware error message comes up

rich

Forum Links
Forum Rules