Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power cord dead

Power cord dead
earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2010, 10:56 PM

I have an old PB from 2003 and I was wondering if the new cords on the Macs these days are the same as the ones from 2003?

Can I fix the cord, because the juice seems to be gone with the green light. it died and the computer is on, but the battery is also dead.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2010, 03:55 AM

The current models use a different type of adapter - the Magsafe magnetic power cord debuted in 2006 and would not be compatible with your model.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2010, 01:26 PM

Usually such very common failures were actually in the PB connection on the computer side rather than in the cord and were normally not cost-effective to repair. IMO the creation of the (awesome) Mag-safe adapter probably came as an attempt to fix the problem you are experiencing. Sorry.

Find someone with an old PB cord you can try. If it works (IMO less likely) buy one on eBay, or if you still cannot find one I probably have one buried somewhere.

Also try a different battery.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jul 11, 2010 at 01:34 PM. )

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2010, 11:48 PM

I have been asking around. A lot of the people I know use PC's or have the MacBooks. I just need to get all my documents off of it, the hard drive and then the next priority is the bookmarks I have on my browsers.

Does the new MacBook Pro's battery the same as the Powerbook? So if I buy a new MB Pro, can I use that on my PB?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 12, 2010, 12:15 AM

It might be simpler to pull the hard drive. Use a USB adapter, or a USB dock, to mount the drive for the new MacBook Pro. Then import your old account in full.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Usually such very common failures were actually in the PB connection on the computer side rather than in the cord and were normally not cost-effective to repair. IMO the creation of the (awesome) Mag-safe adapter probably came as an attempt to fix the problem you are experiencing. Sorry.
But it could just be a cord issue like the OP believes. Getting a replacement AC adapter off of eBay or elsewhere is a lot simpler than assuming the PB is dead. I had to replace my iBook's power adapter a couple of times.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Jul 12, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post

Does the new MacBook Pro's battery the same as the Powerbook? So if I buy a new MB Pro, can I use that on my PB?
No, not even close. And new MBPs have a non-removable battery anyway (without taking the machine apart, that is).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It might be simpler to pull the hard drive. Use a USB adapter, or a USB dock, to mount the drive for the new MacBook Pro. Then import your old account in full.
It might be a month or two before I was going to buy a new MB or MB Pro... But could I really pull the HD....mount the drive to the new mbp and so on? But the old browsers with all my bookmarks would still gone until I access the old PB again? It would be nice if they went over with everything.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2010, 12:42 AM

Migration Assistant migrates your entire user; bookmarks, addresses, email, everything.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2010, 05:00 AM

If you want it to (you can configure Migration Assistant to selectively transfer certain broad categories and not others).

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2010, 06:26 PM

I did notice today that the hole where the cord connects to the computer is not secure. So now I think it has to do with something missing/broken in the hole.

Forum Links
Forum Rules