Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse click and drag prob

Mighty Mouse click and drag prob
samsontan
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 04:53 PM

I'm facing some problems when i click + drag an item..

Eg.
When i drag a file (from my desktop) from left to right of my desktop screen, the mouse + click will only respond halfway through. This happens when the item drops automatically (while i haven't let go of the click) - and while my trailing mouse (still holding the click of the mouse) that was moving towards the right will then select the empty space (next to the dropped icon) from the 'dropspot' to the rest of the screen as it moves towards the right.

In other words, it doesn't hold a click anymore.

I've had problems with the scroll ball (infamous). But this looks like another dirt clotting issue.
simple but nice

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2008, 09:23 AM

I gave up n the Mighty Mouse a while ago. I recall when Apple used to advertise how indestructible their mice are. I hope Apple gets their act together and designs a great mouse, because there really are no great alternatives out there.

I really doubt this is a dirt clogging issue. There is actually only 1 "click" in the Mighty Mouse (i.e. one physical button that clicks when you press down on the mouse). If you hear it click, then it has in fact clicked. The mouse knows which "button" you are depressing by touch-sensitive panels on either side of the mouse. It is likely that these sensors are getting confused or are "weak."

The first step would be to throw in a fresh pair of batteries (even if the mouse doesn't say that the batteries are weak).

My next suggestion would be to try dragging while making sure that only your left-click is engaged (hold your left-click finger firmly on the left-click side of the mouse while holding your right-click finger far away from the mouse).

If this is a wireless mouse, and if you still have an issue, delete the mouse from your software, and then set it up again as a new bt device.

If you still have an issue, brig it to an Apple Store (or call Apple), complain, and hope they will give you one that works. Then decide whether it is worth keeping or whether you should sell it on eBay.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

samsontan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2008, 09:46 PM

The mouse knows which "button" you are depressing by touch-sensitive panels on either side of the mouse. It is likely that these sensors are getting confused or are "weak."
I have a feeling this is the problem. i tried clicking it a while and it just released my click and reselected itself (I was holding the left click the whole time).

MMouse is a sucky mouse.
simple but nice

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by samsontan View Post
MMouse is a sucky mouse.
Yep... but so are almost all others.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules