Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A Worthy Cause

A Worthy Cause
Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2014, 02:20 PM

Hey all, I have no idea if a mod won't like this post. But I'm sure most of you remember me enough to know that I'm not some sort of spam bot.

Anyway, an organization that I'm involved with is doing a fund raising drive to fund our budget for next year. And I know a lot of you guys make more money than you know what to do with responsibly.

Bell Tower Community Café

Yes the event takes place at a Church, and yes a lot of the people involved are Christian. But this isn't done with an evangelistic bend or anything like that, nobody is preached to on Bell Tower nights, and nobody is turned away for any reason.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2014, 02:26 PM

Reported.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
And I know a lot of you guys make more money than you know what to do with responsibly.
Congrats!!! That's now #1 on my list of stupid ways to ask people to give you money.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Congrats!!! That's now #1 on my list of stupid ways to ask people to give you money.
Yeah, I have no words for that.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 4, 2014, 07:16 PM

Oh, you started up another dating service?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2014, 01:16 AM

This could only be beat by Ca$h coming here to ask for donations for his latest boat mod.

-t

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2014, 02:31 AM

Yeah providing food hampers to 100 families every two weeks is totally the same as doing a boat mod. Did you guys even check out the video?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 5, 2014, 08:50 AM

Nope.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2014, 05:02 PM

Sorry. Too busy checking my privilege.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2014, 03:22 PM

Too busy spending my money irresponsibly.

I'm not sorry.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2014, 05:22 PM

My wife and I certainly aren't rich, but our charitable endeavors are going to our local community.

mindwaves
Dec 6, 2014, 11:05 PM

Uh, no. I don't donate much at all, but all of my money goes to funding cancer research programs.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2014, 02:43 AM

I'm too poor, from quantitative easing inflation. If it gets any worse I might have to stop by for a food hamper.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2014, 03:01 AM

We've helped open 4 new food pantries in the last month in 2 counties, with 3 more planned by year end. It's all getting worse, a lot worse.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2014, 03:10 AM

Yeah we've noticed the need in Winnipeg is getting pretty rough. It doesn't help that our government keeps giving tax cuts to the rich who aren't putting any of that money back into the communities they exist in.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2014, 08:55 AM

Dig deeper Salty !!!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
We've helped open 4 new food pantries in the last month in 2 counties, with 3 more planned by year end. It's all getting worse, a lot worse.
That sounds awfully irresponsible of you, better send your money off to Canada!!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2014, 02:55 PM

Don't they like mostly eat polar bears and caribou up there? Must be a shortage of those going on.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2014, 03:52 PM

Salty: I suggest waiting for a week or two and giving this thread a do-over.

Since I hate to let a perfectly good thread go to waste, I'm thinking what I will do for Christmas this year is make a bunch of special moulds of my penis and give them to poor and homeless people so that they can sell these online and make a lot of money. My favorite mould so far is one I'm calling the "Statue of Liberty".

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2014, 04:57 PM

Arthur Brooks was right.
45/47

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2014, 11:13 PM

For the record, I said lots of you, not all of you. And it was clearly a joke.

For all of those who are claiming that my joke didn't have any truth to it, wanna share even the names of the charities you support and how much? You're all protesting a lil bit much.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2014, 11:36 PM

For all of those who are claiming that my joke didn't have any truth to it, wanna share even the names of the charities you support and how much? You're all protesting a lil bit much.
Please, let's not, this will become a dumb game of stupid in short order.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2014, 02:44 AM

No come on, we've got a bunch of self-righteous philanthropists who I'm betting really suck at checking their privilege. So let's hear it people. You don't have to go into much detail. How many children do you sponsor? What part of your income that's more than you need to survive do you set aside for charity? How many hours a week do you volunteer with inner city kids? How much do you give to organizations that help battered women? How often do you even donate to your local food bank?

I'm around people who give until it hurts on a really regular basis. And the vast majority of them who hear something like the joke I made up there, would laugh and say, "You know what, most people can do more." Heck half of them have such a lousy sense of guilt about their success that they feel like they should be giving more. (Which is one of the reasons you generally don't make that joke around them.) There's not many who would get nearly as self defensive as you all.

So let's put your charity where your mouth is, what do you all do? I'm specifically looking for responses from Mattyb, Laminar, and Turtle.

(And for the record, I don't run the food bank, I just volunteer at it, on average 8 or more hours every two weeks.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2014, 03:04 AM

So let's put your charity where your mouth is, what do you all do? I'm specifically looking for responses from Mattyb, Laminar, and Turtle.
I'm not sure why I'm even responding to this.

I give to all kinds of charities and non-profits, mainly faith based, here and overseas (food pantries are among them). Enough to cut my effective tax rate in half. 'Nuff said.

The reason why I posted a critical response is because of the WAY you came across. Clearly it was a joke. And clearly, it was in bad taste.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2014, 10:12 AM

Yeah we've noticed the need in Winnipeg is getting pretty rough. It doesn't help that our government keeps giving tax cuts to the rich who aren't putting any of that money back into the communities they exist in.
Based on your own criteria, I would like specific examples of this tax cutting and money hoarding. Thanks.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2014, 10:52 AM

What's with the unpleasantness? Salty was fundraising for what's most likely a very good cause.

Is this the right time, the right tone of voice and the right place for that? Most probably not.
Should you all rip him a new one for that? Most definitely not. 'Tis the season for charity and that charity should, IMO, extend to the charity of the mind.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2014, 11:16 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
What's with the unpleasantness? Salty was fundraising for what's most likely a very good cause.

Is this the right time, the right tone of voice and the right place for that? Most probably not.
Should you all rip him a new one for that? Most definitely not. 'Tis the season for charity and that charity should, IMO, extend to the charity of the mind.
You are right. I'm certainly guilty of that.

Alas, this is the 'NN Lounge. This is not the place to expect loads of warm and fuzzy.

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2014, 03:45 PM

Here you go Salty.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2014, 03:56 PM

For the record, I said lots of you, not all of you. And it was clearly a joke.
No, it was an insult. Some insults can be jokes, but this one wasn't.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2014, 05:49 PM

I read it as a joke, just a really snotty one.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2014, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No, it was an insult. Some insults can be jokes, but this one wasn't.
I feel like you've forgotten what it's like when I insult you. Generally there's a lot more characters involved. I'm likely to point out that if you don't agree with me, that you're somehow deficient. I might call you an asshat. (By the way, you're an asshat.)

I generally don't make an effort to insult people by commenting that they have too much wealth or that they're somehow not charitable enough.

Also if one person chooses to donate to what is in fact a worthy cause, then that makes it worth it. (By the way you're still an asshat) And as far as checking my privilege, what privilege do you feel I have that you don't? Or are you so privileged that you don't even know what checking one's privilege is?

Are you not white? Are you straight? Because I'm gay which certainly gives you a hell of a lot more privilege in our world than it gives me. (Though I do get sassy privilege ... though that's fairly universally recognized to be necessary for coping with my absolute garbage sense of self worth, partially resulting from growing up in a world of self absorbed heteros) Am I somehow older than you? If I remember correctly you're older than I am. Are you under the impression that I'm somehow horribly wealthy and help because of guilt? I recently quit my day job because the new manager of our department was a total autocrat and now I should probably be freaking out about finding another job, but I've got a couple grand in the bank right now ... then I'll probably start freaking out if I'm not successfully making money in a more healthy manner, and may end up having to move back to my parent's basement.

So please, (asshat) can you kindly tell me exactly what privilege I'm not checking that's offended you? Or can we both agree that you're going to learn how to use the English language a lot better?

(That's what it looks like when I mean to insult you. For everyone who isn't Laminar, feel free to donate to a great cause )

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2014, 03:04 AM

Also, I didn't post on NN because I thought it would be a great place for people to tell me how great I am for helping out with Bell Tower. I came here because like I said, several people on here have lots of money. I've seen several of you post about completely reckless uses of money, and I've seen some comment on their own charitable giving. It's really not so unreasonable. And like I said, if for all of this, somebody even donates 50 bucks, that'd be awesome. Personally, like I said since I'm now unemployed, I can't give and if I tried to the minister running the campaign would probably get ticked off at me. Though I did do an illustration that will hopefully be up on the campaign over the next few days.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2014, 12:28 PM

Not a lot of good karma flowing here. Feel free to lock this thread any time, admins.

...any time.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2014, 02:44 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 02:37 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2014, 03:33 PM

So please, (asshat) can you kindly tell me exactly what privilege I'm not checking that's offended you? Or can we both agree that you're going to learn how to use the English language a lot better?
Where did this come from? You're the one that jumped in here going all Tumblr SJW on everyone telling them to check their privilege, I'm not sure why you think I'm telling you to check yours.

That's what it looks like when I mean to insult you.
Your insults look like you being emo about how hard your life is? Color me underwhelmed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2014, 03:59 PM

I generally don't make an effort to insult people by commenting that they have too much wealth.

But when I do...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2014, 05:00 PM

The world's most uninteresting man?
45/47

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2014, 05:21 PM

I went from being confused, to slightly insulted, to mostly sympathetic.

I'm abandoning ship and unsubscribing. Good luck to Salty, and for everyone who is giving back, keep up the good work.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2014, 09:46 PM

What do you think this is?

andi*pandi
Dec 9, 2014, 10:09 PM

As an ambassador to your cause, you are failing to inspire generosity or even curiousity about the cause. There's lots of charities nearby that don't employ a Jerky Boys routine as a selling point.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2014, 10:44 PM

As a person who's sat through a lot of NPO presentations, although I've encountered a good deal of anguish and righteous indignation I've never been directly insulted during one before. Well, actually there was this one time, I cut the meeting short because the guy was was clearly stoned off his ass and incoherent, then he became belligerent. I believe he was with the Sierra club.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2014, 12:31 AM

What do you think this is?
Your opening gambit in animated GIF form.

Hard "G".

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
As an ambassador to your cause, you are failing to inspire generosity or even curiousity about the cause. There's lots of charities nearby that don't employ a Jerky Boys routine as a selling point.
Yes, clearly a light hearted joke is the entire problem here. Not the narcissistic ego bukake that is the lounge.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2014, 04:14 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2014, 01:36 PM

Yes, clearly a light hearted joke is the entire problem here. Not the narcissistic ego bukake that is the lounge.
Good point, Salty. Everything wrong in your world is the fault of someone else.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2014, 02:52 AM

Good point, Salty. Everything wrong in your world is the fault of someone else.
Well something has to be the problem, either it's over all a very base, general overall inoffensive joke when compared with the vast majority of things that are often said on this forum. Or it's you.

Fun fact, if you research cognitive behavioural therapy, one of the most common distortions people make is to personalize. (Another that you're doing is to maximize where you pretend that something that really is not a big deal is a HUGE deal) So for me to take ownership of your childish choice to take offence at what clearly was a joke that no reasonable person would take offence at, that would be personalization. That would be me deciding that the way that you choose to feel is my fault. But the way that you choose to feel is your choice. It's an internet forum, you're allowed to GTFU.

So, over the last while, I've been working on my depression, an I'm actually starting to feel worlds better. I highly recommend the book "Feeling Good" it's on Amazon. Perhaps you can deal with your issues the way that I'm dealing with mine.

So you're sort of right. Not everything wrong in the world is somebody else's fault, but the vast majority of it, is not healthy for me to take ownership of. But you have fun with your distorted perspectives. Again, check out the book, studies have shown it's better at relieving depression than prescriptions. And the fact that you still feel a need to be tied to a place that's just brimming with persistent negative distortions suggests you could probably use it

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2014, 08:37 AM

As I read through this thread I thought, "I think the only thing that can save it now is for Salty to start recommending self-help advice to others". Boom. Back on the rails.

Good luck with your community charity. As others have pointed out, you should concentrate on motivating your local community, who can see and appreciate first-hand all the good work that is being done.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2014, 09:22 AM

I think the two people on MacNN that seek out the most fights are Laminar and Turtle. Therefore, I wish for them to fight each other just to see what would happen. How can we make this happen?

P.S. Laminar, Turtle did tell me one time that you are usually wrong about everything.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think the two people on MacNN that seek out the most fights are Laminar and Turtle. Therefore, I wish for them to fight each other just to see what would happen. How can we make this happen?
I'm not sure if I should give a rat's ass, or respond with a personal attack.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules