Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Graphics drivers in BootCamp...

Graphics drivers in BootCamp...
solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 07:01 PM

I have a MacBook Pro 17 2gig's of ram, 160gb 7200rpm hard drive, 8600gt 256mb graphics card.
Running Leopard and Boot Camp

Now onto my issue, Basically I am trying to run Crysis at a reasonable setting. It is not running well at all.
I have turned down nearly every setting and the game now looks like poop, but runs.
My question is I know that I should be using the graphics driver that came with Leopard's boot camp, but is it possible that the game will run better with the newer drivers from Nvidia?
Can I screw things up badly by doing that?
PS. thanks for the help.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2007, 07:16 PM

It's quite possible that it may work better with the nVidia drivers because they're probably much newer but my understanding of Crysis is that it runs poo on even a very high end card like the 8800GTX. It's still in beta isn't it?

What OS are you using? XP or Vista?

I think the worst you could do is have to re-install Windows, although you should be able to get around that by booting up in VGA/Safe mode if things go horribly wrong.

This would probably get more attention in the Alternative OS forum, hopefully someone will move it soon.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 03:40 PM

thanks for the response.
if a mod could relocate this, that would be great
I am running XP.
The drivers I have a regular, beta and Boot Camp for Leopard.
The game is the retail release.
It runs horribly and I thought that my Macbook Pro kicked butt.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 26, 2007, 05:41 PM

The MacBook Pro *should* kick butt. It's entirely possible that updating the drives will help, but they may also make things worse.
How do other games run? Have you tried Unreal Tournament 3? You should be able to run that on full settings, although probably not in the native resolution, with no problems.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 10:23 AM

I have Call of Duty 4 which i run at full 1080p resolution with no issues at all.
Stalker, F.E.A.R and others. All running at full resolution.
Something is just odd.
I know that CRYSIS is a hog.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 27, 2007, 10:29 AM

Are there any updates for Crysis that can be applied?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 12:26 PM

Not yet...
there is talk of it coming out and it is supposed to fix issues like this.
it just stinks that it runs like crap.

PaperNotes
Dec 27, 2007, 01:57 PM

This is the best setting for Crysis on MBP models so far.

In Crysis advanced graphics settings click on the drop down that applies a single setting to all. Choose Medium settings. Now change Shader effects and in game effects to high. These two mean you will get high quality explosions and wind/underwater effects. Set Shadows and Audio Quality to Low. Those two settings eat too much CPU power and you don't need them on anything less than a quad core with Geforce 8800.

Those settings are good for me on a Radeon X1600. Playable enough to enjoy the game.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 03:08 PM

thanks, what machine do you have and what resolution are you running the game at?

PaperNotes
Dec 29, 2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
thanks, what machine do you have and what resolution are you running the game at?
I have a 2.16 with 256MB X1600. You should be shooting for 800x600 or 960x720. You won't be able to play Crysis well enough at any higher resolution. Crytek didn't have notebooks or even 2007 hardware in mind when they coded the game and honestly they must be crazy trying to render things that are a mile away in the distance. The problem with their engine is that they don't have one of those engines that reduce the number of polygons for objects far away.

Omega Drivers now supports Nvidia GPUs. The next version should have notebook chipset support.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2007, 01:41 PM

I agree with PaperNotes, I've got the same spec machine and ran Crysis ok not the best but ok. Being able to see objects far away in it's full polygon glory is nice and all but man, that takes alot of horsepower.

Anyway graphics drivers are improving all the time and with options such as Omega, Apple, AMD/ATI(through Mobility.net) and NVIDIA things should only get better... I hope.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules