Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best Way to Manage Music Libraries?

Best Way to Manage Music Libraries?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2014, 12:15 PM

I used to use MediaRover to sync iTunes libraries, but it seems to have gone under (they never charged for it as far as I can tell). MediaRover worked for the application below.

I would like to maintain a full library on a NAS that can be played from iTunes/AppleTVs as a discovered server, as well as be used by Sonos and any other needed application from that server. I have 3 Macs (2 of which have enough space to hold the 150GB of music), and my family has 5 iPhones and 1 iPad. I would like to be able to select remotely what syncs to my kids' iPhones (which they have just 30 minutes to use each day and don't have active cell plans). I often procure high res audio (like I picked up a 24/96 version of the new Linkin Park album), and acquire music from sources other than just Apple. In the example of the Linkin Park album I just picked up, I would like to make sure to have the high res version on the NAS (has redundant storage and on with backups) at least one of the Macs. I would like to push lower res to iPhones (as iTunes can automatically do).

Thoughts? Thanks!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

andi*pandi
Jun 19, 2014, 05:30 PM

Hmm, sounds like that would be a good app. Hope someone has an answer, I'm interested too!

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2014, 01:19 PM

Most NAS devices like Iomega/LenovoEMC, Synology, WD, etc. use either Twonky or an open-source variant of mt-daapd like Firefly. The problem? Twonky is more of a media server than a transcoder (although it will do it), and mt-daapd hasn't been updated in quite awhile.

How about setting up one computer that has enough space for your music and using iTunes Sharing?

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2014, 02:24 PM

I agree the interface on these aren't great. The issue is needing to sync libraries of music selectively, which just hosting it on a Mac won't do either. I do have an older and powerful-enough Mac Pro, but I like the idea of having it in an appliance that stays redundant and is available with lower power consumption too.

I'll keep looking around. Martian's SlingShot worked many years ago for this purpose too.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

RedHdRiley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2014, 03:51 PM

I considered using NAS / Apple Airport Extreme and chose to go with just using an external drive for my library and stick with iTunes for control, sync, etc.
I currently have three Seagate 4TB drives set up as Rain 1 containing 3400+ movies (2000+ are 720p or better, several TV shows/Series and 19,000+ music files on my Mac mini, UPS, etc. Using 3 Macs, 4 Apple TVs, 2 PCs.
I admit the AppleTV interface with an Apple Remote leaves much to be desired so I mainly use Remote on my iPhone. I need take the time to edit my playlists to improve the selection experience for others using the system but have been lazy.
If I have missed a better easier solution I would appreciate knowing about it.
Riley

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2014, 01:11 PM

Not exactly the same, but maybe this will help some of you:

TuneSpan  —  Your iTunes Library on Multiple Drives · Random Applications

I've been using it on my wife's MBP, which doesn't have that much space.
Most of her Library is "spanned out" to my Synology NAS.

-t

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2014, 11:46 PM

That's a good tip. I just found SuperSync - Merge, Compare, Repair, Access, & Explore Your iTunes Libraries, which might be the ticket. I hope it works on my Ultra 4 Plus or NV+ ReadyNAS.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2014, 10:17 AM

Thanks for pointing out TuneSpan and SuperSync. I have a Mac Mini with an external Thunderbolt drive enclosure that acts as a media server for all our devices, and SuperSync in particular looks like it could be very useful.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules