Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Samba and OSX

Samba and OSX
TikTokk
Sep 21, 2000, 10:33 AM

Where I work, we use Samba to allow our Linux and Windows boxes to talk to each other. I noticed on DP4 that there was a folder titled Samba.

Does anyone know if Samba will allow the networking of OSX and Windows without the need for apps such as DAVE or PCMacLan?

D'Arcy
Sep 21, 2000, 04:47 PM

SAMBA should work on MacOS X Beta. The only problem is that there is no available compiled binary configured for MacOS X Beta. The one available through Stepwise is set up for the last developer's release, and folder names have changed a bit since.

Now, if gcc were included, we could just compile from source.

By the way, DO NOT attempt to install the samba binary currently on Stepwise. IT WILL HOSE YOUR SYSTEM. I gave it a shot, and it crapped out in mid-install, because of differing pathnames.

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2000, 02:37 AM

Try to extract cc from a Darwin installation (Apple has newer used gcc, they have had cc installed in DP4 and Darwin, cc is better than gcc and it works in the same way).

I myself will try to extract from my old DP4 installation.

Complain at Apples MacOSX feedback, we must make them to put those things back.

iBeige
Sep 22, 2000, 08:41 AM

I have installed and am running Samba 2.0.7 (latest) on my OSXPB G4. I have some pointers to the install files at http://www.dcubed.com/macosx/ and I'll post my own instructions there soon enough. Also, come on over to http://www.dcubed.com/techtalk and I'll answer any questions you have about installing samba.

Dan

Forum Links
Forum Rules