Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > A US detention centre from the perspective of a 9 year old kid. (Drawings)

A US detention centre from the perspective of a 9 year old kid. (Drawings)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 02:16 PM

Detained boy, parents heading to Canada

This is a tough one. This Iranian family was in Canada for a number of years, but Canada deported them. They tried to smuggle themselves back to Canada, but got caught in the US because of an unscheduled stop. The US had no obligation to grant them any status, but the twist for Canada is that the boy (and not the parents) is a Canadian citizen, cuz he was born in Canada.

I'm not sure how I feel about this case. I'm glad they're getting a second chance, but what if the deportation was justified in the first place? The parents do claim they were imprisoned and tortured in Iran, but there is no mention as to why, or how believable that claim is. I'd like to know more about this story.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 03:59 PM

Pff. I can draw better than that.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Pff. I can draw better than that.
And spell better too no doubt.

Damn 9 year-old kids these days... What are our Canadian schools coming to...

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 04:22 PM

Personally, I'd really have to know the details of why the family was kicked out of Canada, to form a solid opinion on the matter.

Sounds like US authorities had every right to detain them for using fake passports- though it is a sad irony when the self-same US authorities bend over backwards to grant "greater than citizen-like" bennies to others who falsify documents and even steal identities, all the time.

I have to say though, using a kids drawings in this way, smacks just a bit as an (orchestrated) appeal to emotion, rather than an close examination of the facts. Whenever people start using their kids to appeal for what they want, I get weary.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Personally, I'd really have to know the details of why the family was kicked out of Canada, to form a solid opinion on the matter.

Sounds like US authorities had every right to detain them for using fake passports- though it is a sad irony when the self-same US authorities bend over backwards to grant "greater than citizen-like" bennies to others who falsify documents and even steal identities, all the time.

I have to say though, using a kids drawings in this way, smacks just a bit as an (orchestrated) appeal to emotion, rather than an close examination of the facts. Whenever people start using their kids to appeal for what they want, I get weary.
In truth, I would have done the exact same thing, if I were the dad.

And to be fair, the kid did grow up in Canada, and was a Canadian citizen. They may as well leverage that, and the fact that he's a kid.

However, if the claims by the parents turn out to be bogus, then Canada should most definitely consider deporting them again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules