Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I'm almost weened off of my PC, but I need some applications.

I'm almost weened off of my PC, but I need some applications.
t.d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 11:05 PM

Hey guys. I've had my macbook for a few months and I think I'm ready to get rid of my PC. I just need a few things.

1 (Most Important) - How do I get my thunderbird emails from my PC and onto the mac ?!?!
2 - Is there an MSN live messenger that lets me do video chat ?
3 - Is there any DVD cloning software ?

Thanks guys.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 12:07 AM

1. Copy your Thunderbird preferences files.
2. No.
3. Yes, with varying degrees of simplicity and cost.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
1. Copy your Thunderbird preferences files.
2. No.
3. Yes, with varying degrees of simplicity and cost.
2. There is aMSN. Sure it isn't MSN Live, but it DOES do MSN with video support.
aMSN for Mac OS X

t.d  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 03:14 AM

voiceofra, you rock.

mduell, can you go into a little more detail ? I know how to setup my pop3 accounts, but I need to move the emails stored on my PC onto my mac.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2007, 03:41 AM

Find where the files are stored in Windows, and move them to the proper location inside your user's Library folder in OS X. This page may help a little.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 04:24 AM

FWIW, Mercury Messenger is another app that allows you to video conference with MSN. I don't use either of aMSN or Mercury, but from what I have read, its video conferencing support is more robust than that of aMSN.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
FWIW, Mercury Messenger is another app that allows you to video conference with MSN. I don't use either of aMSN or Mercury, but from what I have read, its video conferencing support is more robust than that of aMSN.
Ooh I forgot about Mercury.
Definitely give that a try, over aMSN...development seems more active on Mercury.

OreoCookie
Feb 23, 2007, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by t.d View Post
mduell, can you go into a little more detail ? I know how to setup my pop3 accounts, but I need to move the emails stored on my PC onto my mac.
You just use Thunderbird for MacOS X. It's native … unless you want to use another client that is.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You just use Thunderbird for MacOS X. It's native … unless you want to use another client that is.
He wants to move his stored e-mail from his PC to his Mac.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2007, 05:18 AM

How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?
Your mail files are inside your profile (see the Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 02:20 PM

t.d.,

I strongly suggesting moving your email from POP to IMAP. One of the benefits of IMAP is to get around exactly the problem you are faced now, where email is tethered to a particular machine.

Does this particular email ISP offer an IMAP option? Because one option is simply to copy all of your mail up to the server...

Forum Links
Forum Rules