Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone else sick of the iphone hype?

anyone else sick of the iphone hype?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2007, 10:30 AM

I cant really afford it- nor do I want to switch carriers. I cant go anywhere on the web without some website that has a "countdown" or proclaiming that the world will be different on the 6/30....

I cant wait till all this is over...
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 10:48 AM

the what now?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 10:54 AM

Nope, bring on the hype, it deserves it.

Can't afford it, don't ruin it for the rest of us.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2007, 11:00 AM

I'm more sick of the Paris Hilton hype.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 11:07 AM

It makes me glad Apple keeps most things under wraps. Can you imagine if everything they released was announced beforehand?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 11:14 AM

never mind, read too fast
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jun 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
They did announce the iPhone beforehand. That's kind of the reason there's been so much hype for the damn thing dominating the Internet for the last half year.
Ya, no sh*t Sherlock. He was saying he's glad that Apple doesn't announce everything beforehand, like the iPhone, because it could possibly generate too much hype around every release.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 11:38 AM

Before that 20 minute video tour I was oblivious to the hype and happy to wait until my TMobile contract expires. Now as the 29th approaches and the fact that I'll be in New York at the end of this week (obligatory 5th Avenue Apple Store visit) I really hope all the iPhones are sold out when I visit the Apple Store.
I don't see myself being able to play with one and not walk out the store with one in hand and a new AT&T contract.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Nope, bring on the hype, it deserves it.
I take it you're an iPhone beta tester then?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 12:22 PM

If hype raises the stock price, so be it!

I've made $3000 in 5 months, a 54% annual return!

Of course, I haven't sold the stock, yet. Maybe once it hits $200 or $250?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 05:06 PM

Oh, they just found a cure for cancer.

Who cares! I'm getting in line for my iPhone this Friday!!!

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 09:39 PM

I can't sleep. This phone better be good because I'm getting rid of a paper calendar, a Dell Axim PDA, my horrible Motorola Razr, and my Nano for this thing. I'm hoping it will replace everything!

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 09:45 PM

It should!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 09:50 PM

The hype? We ain't seen nothin' yet. Whether it takes off or is a dud, it's gonna be a pain to wade through the hysteria that will surely overtake the internet this weekend.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 09:56 PM

I'm getting sick of it,

pretty soon, I'll be seeing how the iphone brokered a peace accord in the mideast, solved world hunger and reversed global warming, all while able to surf the net

seriously, when something gets this hyped up, there is only one place for it to go and that's down. I'm not saying its going to fail but rather as the hype increases it gets harder and harder to live up to that.

Its a great idea, albeit an expensive one, and I hope Apple succeeds but I'm so tired of iphone this and iphone that.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2007, 10:06 PM

I'm in hype overload. I remember how it started-way back when Michael Jackson got burneded up doing a Pepsi commercial and that was ALL you could find on the news. It's been downhill all the way since then.

I don't want an iPhone, Paris belongs in a BAD jail, I don't care what Britney does, I'm disappointed with Lindsay but that happens to some people and they often can't turn around. Is that all for now? Good!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I told you not to tell!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
seriously, when something gets this hyped up, there is only one place for it to go and that's down. I'm not saying its going to fail but rather as the hype increases it gets harder and harder to live up to that.
Perhaps this is true with politicians and artists (among other things), but with consumer electronics, it's hard to think of hyped products which flop.

Before you try to correct me on that, I'm talking about products which are hyped not only by a company, but by customers, analysts, and seemingly the entire media.

When a gadget flops, there is usually an air of lameness around the product before it even comes out, like the Zune, the Foleo, that Gizmondo thing, etc. But the iPhone has become something like a Sony or MS games console: people are camping out and lining up in droves to buy this thing, and it will probably sell well regardless.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Now, now. Just because you sold your Apple stock back when it was at $86 doesn't mean you can get all snippy.

I agree with Eriamjh. If the hype builds up the stock price then BRING IT!!!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 11:24 PM

Yep, I'm totally sick of it. I'm going to wait and check it out at the store before buying one.. but all this hype is definitely very annoying.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 11:45 PM

Argh, it gets worse.

AppleInsider | Insanity: First iPhone line forms in Manhattan (four days early)

Not only are guys camping out four days early... but they're actually begging for food?!

So let me get this straight... if I'm walking by, and I feel like donating food to someone... this guy thinks I'd want to donate to some guy who's apparently rich enough to afford an iPhone with those ridiculous data plans instead of giving it to some homeless person or something?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 11:59 PM

I'm getting the funny feeling that these guys are getting paid to do this. I have a hard time lookin at that dude and seeing someone who can afford one of these things. I've been fooled before, so who knows.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 12:26 AM

What is wrong with the world?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 01:44 AM

I'm personally quite entertained by both the hype, and the old women who complain about it

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 01:55 AM

That guy is interviewed in this video:
Non Interview: First iPhone Campers Not What Apple Expected - Gizmodo

-"Ya have a girlfriend? Or is it just you?
-"Nah, just hangin' out, gettin' my iPhone"

What a depressing guy.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2007, 02:06 AM

( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Jun 26, 2007 at 02:20 AM. )
ice

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
If hype raises the stock price, so be it!

I've made $3000 in 5 months, a 54% annual return!

Of course, I haven't sold the stock, yet. Maybe once it hits $200 or $250?
Hasn't Apple stock been dropping this week? I've been assuming people wanted to sell right before the phone actually came out for whatever reason.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cipher13
Jun 26, 2007, 03:34 AM

Yes, I'm sick of the hype, considering it isn't available in Australia, isn't planned for Australia, and isn't even on the Apple Aus webpage.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Before you try to correct me on that, I'm talking about products which are hyped not only by a company, but by customers, analysts, and seemingly the entire media.
And the iPhone isn't being hyped by customers, analysts and the entire media. Apple is also stoking the fire with commercials and web stuff.

This is probably one of the most over hyped produced since well since the segway. This may not be fair, but like the segway it is taking over mainstream media, and just look at this thread about some hapless soul willing to wait days in line for it. Doesn't he realize that after a couple of months he'll be able to snag one.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
And the iPhone isn't being hyped by customers, analysts and the entire media.
Hmmm I don't know about that. Tech blogs are hyping the iPhone with constant news. I went to Engadget just now and saw 13 different links to iPhone stories on the front page. Digg had 2. There's something like 10 on Gizmodo, I had trouble counting them. Drudge had a devoted spot to iPhone stories for a few days.

CNN.com has a frontpage iPhone story, as does the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, Financial Times, etc.

The *only* site I visit with any regularity which doesn't have a link to an iPhone story right on the front page is The Times (London).

To say that the iPhone isn't being hyped by the media is untrue. They are stoking hype and cashing in on the coverage like nobody's business.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm in hype overload. I remember how it started-way back when Michael Jackson got burneded up doing a Pepsi commercial and that was ALL you could find on the news. It's been downhill all the way since then.

I don't want an iPhone, Paris belongs in a BAD jail, I don't care what Britney does, I'm disappointed with Lindsay but that happens to some people and they often can't turn around. Is that all for now? Good!
The absolute worst was when I was driving alone across the northern US. For several hours, ALL of the non-country radio stations were covering the OJ Simpson slow car chase, and I didn't have a CD player. I learned something that day:

I really, really, really hate OJ Simpson news, esp. when it's repeated ad nauseum.
Even stereotypically bad hardcore country music is better than OJ Simpson news.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Now, now. Just because you sold your Apple stock back when it was at $86 doesn't mean you can get all snippy.

I agree with Eriamjh. If the hype builds up the stock price then BRING IT!!!
Yeah... doh! I didn't invest a whole bunch, but it would have been enough to make a nice additional chunk of profit just in time for my imminent house purchase.

Who'da thunkit? I made 45% profit, but if I had kept it, I would have made 100% profit. AAPL is crazy. So who's selling on June 28?

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2007, 12:15 PM

Well I'm glad this day is here. I am soo sick of hearing about iphone this and that, one site has vegas style odds on betting that a fight breaks out while the line forms (OK thats fun..), etc. I figure one more week of iphone hype and people will realize that iphone is NOT the next ipod- its just a better cell phone and then defend why they just spent all that $ on a better phone. Then can we please get back to Mac OS X news.

video of man trying to rip off phone during interview
Odds of fight

Please note I am not implying that spending your money on things that YOU consider important is a bad thing- hey I spend money on my Jeep TJ (tires, lift kit etc) that would prolly make 3/4 of the people eyes roll, but geez, when the reporters and people make something out to be the second coming of Christ - its getting out of hand....
( Last edited by tkmd; Jun 29, 2007 at 01:06 PM. )
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 12:20 PM

Apparently you don't realize we have a week ahead of reviews and debates over those reviews.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2007, 02:18 PM

I couldn't give a damn about the iPhone, or any brand of phone for that matter.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 06:11 PM

I'm just watchin the news here. So how come the at &t store didn't open til 6pm today? Was that everywhere or some gimmick to get it on the news live?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 PM

No iPhone threads yet from buyers? I'm shocked. We've covered two time zone already, going on three, and no one's got one yet on MacNN?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 09:15 PM

Check the iPhone forum.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 09:40 PM

Hmmmph. None in the Lounge? There are other fora?

Forum Links
Forum Rules