Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone here using XTelevision?

Anyone here using XTelevision?
[osX]RTouris
May 27, 2002, 08:39 PM

There's a nice app out there for osX that supports many tuner cards. It's an open source project that's hosted @ Sourgeforge, the link is: <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtv" target="_blank">http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtv</a>

While many people have been using it succesfully, I have yet to have any success with it. I was thinking that maybe people here @ MacNN with ProTVs / PC tuner cards or general interest in this project can get some feedback going, since the project's forum page doesn't seem to be that much popular nowadays.. The problem I'm having is loading the Btxxx.kext driver. Apparently there's an issue with the driver in that you need to have sufficient privs to load it into the system or something like that. I need some guidance on how to setup / change privs of folders e.t.c, so I can finally get this thing working.

I had given up on osX a long time ago, but after seeing the Jaguar in practise, I'm back again, loaded a 10.1.4 and now eagerly waiting for Jaguar later this summer.

yaro
Forum Regular
May 27, 2002, 10:37 PM

locate the driver and do this: sudo cp -r /path/Bt8xx.kext /System/Library/Extensions/Bt8xx.kext

Reboot and launch Xtv

[osX]RTouris  (op)
May 27, 2002, 11:59 PM

Well I did, but i can't get it to copy the thing in the Extensions! I browsed using cd.. to the root, then by using another cd to where the app is and then another cd to ge tinside the XTelevision.app to where the enxtension is. Typed the command, was prompted for the pass, entered it and that's it...It doesn't get copied! wth?

yaro
Forum Regular
May 28, 2002, 12:26 AM

Try dragging the Btxx.kext driver from the xtv.app to your home directory and try again using the copy in your home directry.

[osX]RTouris  (op)
May 28, 2002, 12:34 AM

I'm afraid that doesn't work either. Seems as if my osX is screwed up bigtime (bearing in mind that I only installed it today - what a nice way to start using osX after a LONG LONG time again). Something tells me it's these F6#$^%%^g privileges again.

[ranting] I only hope Jaguar comes out just a bit earlier than Late Summer (aka September), we need a way to control these privs and not being Unix geeks. I've got a lfe to live dammit, can't be bothered for a week to figure out how to bring my system upto full funcitonality cause some ppl @ Apple are lazy enough! [/ranting]

yaro
Forum Regular
May 28, 2002, 12:58 AM

There is a sure fire way. If all else fails, boot into os 9.xx and move the Btxx.app folder into the extensions foldr.

[osX]RTouris  (op)
May 28, 2002, 01:27 AM

Hehe, apparently you were not that quick to answer I'm typing this one from os9.2.2. It's just that the osX partition ain't there anymore It's been a long day, it's gonna be even longer tomorrow reisntalling osX (can you imagine, it was already beginning to do some other really weird stuff after just one day of its installation)...

diskobolos
Forum Regular
May 28, 2002, 08:53 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by [osX]RTouris:
<strong>[ranting] I only hope Jaguar comes out just a bit earlier than Late Summer (aka September), we need a way to control these privs and not being Unix geeks. I've got a lfe to live dammit, can't be bothered for a week to figure out how to bring my system upto full funcitonality cause some ppl @ Apple are lazy enough! [/ranting]</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Downloading and installing pre alpha open source binarys from sourceforge is about as unix geek as it gets... so quit your ranting and RTFM, it has a shell script installer, double click it to run and the terminal will do the geek stuff for you.

edit: Sorry if that came out a little harsh, just if you're trying to do a geek thing, don't complain about it being geek.

<small>[ 05-28-2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: diskobolos ]</small>

[osX]RTouris  (op)
May 28, 2002, 10:10 PM

No offense taken. Btw, nice name you've got there, what does it mean though? The people who throws the discus?

diskobolos
Forum Regular
May 28, 2002, 10:50 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by [osX]RTouris:
<strong>No offense taken. Btw, nice name you've got there, what does it mean though? The people who throws the discus?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Happened to be doing Greek sculpture in art history when I registered this account.. surely you've seen the <a href="http://academic.reed.edu/humanities/110Tech/BodyLanguage/html/diskobolos2.html" target="_blank">discus thrower</a>

btw I was able to get shagadellic telly to work with a ixmicro card in my machine but so far no luck with xtv. The current version is supposed to load the kext dynamically and it seems to hold up my system when trying...

For shag telly info, if you haven't already <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=46;t=001679;p=1" target="_blank">check out this thread</a>

Forum Links
Forum Rules