Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ideas for old iMac 300mhz G3?

Ideas for old iMac 300mhz G3?
MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2006, 11:19 PM

Will soon be adding a new machine to the collection. I've got a Mac Mini and a iBook, I'll be trading some things with a buddy in return for a old iMac.

I've got a wireless bridge for it since it doesn't have Airport, it's got a 20gb disk and 640mb ram. It's running 10.3.9 and it runs it pretty well.

It's turquoise if that matters

I'm getting it for practically nothing so I can't turn it down, I figure I could use it in the kitchen to stream from my iTunes library or run a recipe/shopping app. Or I was thinking I could set it up in a corner somewhere and display slideshows and what not.

If anything it could be a web server but I'm up for clever ideas to put this to use!

bourgeoisie
Jan 26, 2006, 02:11 AM

if nothing else, those imacs are worth it just to put on display second only to the g4 imacs
green links don't belong to me!

goofticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 07:46 AM

wait a couple of decades and you'll see it on Antiques Roadshow.
I am sure that some models will command prices depending on their rarity, like the dalmation and flower power.
Remember, an original Apple 1, sold at auction for $50,000.
As time goes on and all those iMacs become fish tanks, or whatever....a working one has the potential to be vaulable.
After all, the original iMacs changed the way nearly every plastic product in the world. Everything became a translucent milky soft-colored ergonomic-saavy
looking thing.
My money is on Apple powered speakers used as surround sound.

goofticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 07:47 AM

wait a couple of decades and you'll see it on Antiques Roadshow.
I am sure that some models will command prices depending on their rarity, like the dalmation and flower power.
Remember, an original Apple 1, sold at auction for $50,000.
As time goes on and all those iMacs become fish tanks, or whatever....a working one has the potential to be vaulable.
After all, the original iMacs changed the way nearly every plastic product in the world. Everything became a translucent milky soft-colored ergonomic-saavy
looking thing.
My money is on Apple powered speakers used as surround sound.

goofticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 07:50 AM

I think I found a glitch in Deer Park on my Intel....it posts multiple copies.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2006, 08:14 AM

I have an iMac 233 Original Bondi with IR, etc. It's a dog to use for any internet and anything else. One thing it does do well if play MP3s. I installed it in my garage and use it as a music server (actually, like a book box). Foreverything else, it is a dog. Looks good, though.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules