Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Retrospect Backup Config Questions

Retrospect Backup Config Questions
Larry767
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2000, 10:52 AM

How do I create a selector which will allow me to backup specific folders within a larger folder which I want to ignore. For example:

I don't want to backup the entire system folder. I do want to backup the GlobalFax Files, GlobalFax Personal folders, and Eudora Folder which are all stored in the System folder. There may also be certain folders or files within the Preferences folder that should be backed up but I don't want everything.

I tried creating a selector to include the folders I want but Exclude the System Folder. What I'm seeing is that the "Always Exclude" list takes precedence over the "Include" list. In other words, nothing in the system folder gets backed up even though I have asked the selector to include several folders that reside in the system folder.

How do I accomplish this? I can't move these folders out of the System folder and I don't have enough room on my backup media to backup the entire System folder in addition to all the other files on my drives.

Thanks.

shorton
May 21, 2000, 09:58 AM

Select immediate backup and configure it the way you want.

Then select "Preview" and once the scan is complete, highlight only the files and folders you want to be in your new selector.

From the Browser menu, select "Save Highlights" and you will then have created the selector that you desire. This selector will depend upon the names and filepaths NOT changing, however.

Good luck.

Larry767  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2000, 02:51 PM

Just to update this thread with the solution:

I found that creative use of the "is", "is not" options solved my problems. For example, to backup the Identities folder in the OE 5 folder in the Internet folder without backing up any of the other items inside the internet folder I can just create a filter to

Exclude files whose enclosing folder name exactly matches "Internet" and whose folder name DOES NOT match "Identities".

When I was all said and done with all the special files and locations I wanted to backup I had a fairly long list of criteria. The good news is that with Retrospect, you only need to do that once.

Forum Links
Forum Rules