Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B&W G3 - Trouble installing HD in Zip Bay

B&W G3 - Trouble installing HD in Zip Bay
Larry767
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 04:51 PM

I have a B&W Rev. 1 G3 with a SCSI Hard Drive. There is no IDE Ribbon cable available except for the one running to the CD Drive. The ZIP drive bay is empty. I tried to install an ATA hard drive in the Zip drive bay but I can only get the drive to work if I unhook the CD drive. Is this a master/slave issue and if so, what jumper settings do I need to change on the CD drive? I currently have the HD set to Master. It is a Quantum Fireball Plus KX series.

Larry Jorgenson
Humboldt, SK Canada

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2004, 05:14 PM

Its probably a jumper issue. You are going to need to set the CD drive to master and the hard drive to slave.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Larry767  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 06:49 PM

Thanks, that did the trick. I set the CD to slave and HD to master and I was still able to boot from the CD and now I can see the HD and am installing Panther now.

Larry

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 25, 2004, 12:57 PM

Just be sure that the hard drive you installed is a model that creates very little heat. The zip bay was designed for the zip drive, which produces no heat to speak of, so there's essentially no cooling there.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules