Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Keychain

Keychain
Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 1999, 11:07 AM

Is there anyway to have the keychain be always unlocked?

I'm the only one who uses my PowerBook and it's a real drag to have to go down to the control stip and unlock it after every startup or wake up from sleep... all I want is for it to be always unlocked!

Are there any 3rd party utilities that will do this; or am I missing a setting some where?

TigerN28763
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 1999, 04:37 PM

I have trouble with auto logging into multiple servers all at once during startup in OS 9, on a variety of Macs. The keychain will show the servers as being in the keychain, but will not allow auto access.

Is there a way to auto log on boot, especially to multiple servers?

scott
Nov 20, 1999, 06:25 PM

I'm the only one who uses my PowerBook and it's a real drag to have to go down to the control stip and unlock it after every startup or wake up from sleep... all I want is for it to be always unlocked!
Open the Keychain Access control panel (enter your password). From the Edit menu, select "Settings" (enter your password again). Make sure the box labeled "Lock when the system sleeps" is unchecked.

I'm not sure there's a way for the keychain to automatically unlock on startup unless you're using Multiple Users (are you)? If there were, you'd sort of be missing the point of Keychains since your computer would always have full-read/write acess with no password. This seems even more important on a PowerBook, which can quite readily be stolen. However, maybe the option should be there for those who want it and don't use Multiple Users.

I have trouble with auto logging into multiple servers all at once during startup in OS 9, on a variety of Macs. The keychain will show the servers as being in the keychain, but will not allow auto access.
I've seen this to some degree, though you don't specify whether you're having problems with FTP or AppleShare servers.

The only problem I've found is that if you open an FTP connection with Network Browser, create a shortcut from the host directory listing, and add it to your keychain, you'll always have to enter the password again (at least on my machine).

Looks like a maintenance release may be in order.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

[This message has been edited by scott (edited 11-20-1999).]

Larry767
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 1999, 07:41 PM

If you have QuickKeys 4.1, check this out: http://www.carnation-software.com/ca...nUnlocker.html

wormman
Nov 23, 1999, 02:43 AM

I have an easy solution for all of you that doesn't require buying anything:

Use the following Applescript to unlock your keychain and throw it in your startup items folder.

property keychain_name : "Place_Your_Keychain_Name_Here"
property stored_password : "Place_Your_Password_Here"

try
tell application "Keychain Scripting"
set locked_status to locked of keychain keychain_name
if locked_status is true then
unlock keychain keychain_name with password stored_password
end if
end tell
on error error_msg
display dialog error_msg buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1
end try

--That takes care of the keychain. There is lots of other stuff you can do with the keychain, like remote control computers, but I won't get into that.

To mount a HardDrive at Startup, in a place like a public lab, use the following script.

try
set the afp_path to ("afp://" & "Place_Your_IP_Here" & "/" & "Place_Volume_To_Mount_Here" & "/") as string
mount volume afp_path as user name "Place_Username_Here" with password "Place_Password_Here"
end try

--you can do this for several drives in a lab, and place the script in the startup items of each computer. This script works with OS's before OS 9. For security resons make sure you compile the scripts as Run only.

Good Luck

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 1999, 04:41 PM

A new version of "Keychain Unlocker" has been released that doesn't require QuickKeys, and it's still freeware:
http://www.carnation-software.com/ca...nUnlocker.html

[This message has been edited by mpmchugh (edited 11-28-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules