Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Social Network: Worth Seeing?

The Social Network: Worth Seeing?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2010, 11:17 AM

I'm no real fan of Mark Zuckerberg. I don't really like Facebook too much (and I like it less and less as time goes on). Yes, I admit that I at least partially resent his success. And yet there's really positive buzz for this film. Should I bother seeing it, or will it just infuriate me?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2010, 02:51 PM

If you have no interest in the subject matter, why would you spend the money to see a film about it?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2010, 02:55 PM

Never used facebook, but I still found it interesting. The half naked girls didn't hurt.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
If you have no interest in the subject matter, why would you spend the money to see a film about it?
Good point, but sometimes there are films I have no inherent interest in seeing that I end up seeing and enjoy. Maybe this is one of those.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2010, 04:07 PM

True. I haven't seen it, so I can't judge it.

hayesk
Oct 11, 2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I have no interest in getting involved in the mafia, but I still enjoy watching Goodfellas.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I have no interest in getting involved in the mafia, but I still enjoy watching Goodfellas.
I was thinking about that Errol Morris documentary (partially) about blind mole-rats.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm no real fan of Mark Zuckerberg. I don't really like Facebook too much (and I like it less and less as time goes on). Yes, I admit that I at least partially resent his success. And yet there's really positive buzz for this film. Should I bother seeing it, or will it just infuriate me?
I find myself resenting his success too, but I'm willing to ascribe a certain amount of that to Zuckerberg coming off like a d-bag.

For example, I don't resent Richard Branson or Jeff Bezos. They seem really nice. I'm happy for them.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2010, 06:00 PM

I have not seen the movie, but from what I gather, even Facebook haters should like this movie.

It could have been about the guy who invented Spacley Sprockets and the real meat of the story would have been unchanged.

Again, I have not seen it, but that's the word on the street, as they say.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2010, 10:59 PM

I've seen it, and I thought it was good. It's not an action show, and it is not a comedy, and it has very little skin, but it is interesting and kept me interested through the whole thing.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I find myself resenting his success too, but I'm willing to ascribe a certain amount of that to Zuckerberg coming off like a d-bag.
From what I understand, the movie is rather critical of Zuckerberg, exposing the irony of how socially inept he it.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2010, 02:51 PM

Here's a quick synopsis. Zuckerberg was a douche before he had a billion dollars.

andi*pandi
Oct 12, 2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It could have been about the guy who invented Spacley Sprockets and the real meat of the story would have been unchanged.
We need a Spacely Sprockets-type movie.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2010, 09:18 AM

I'd be much more interested in seeing that new Spacely Sprockets/Cogswell Cogs movie.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andi*pandi
Oct 13, 2010, 12:13 PM

Danny DeVito is Mr. Spaceley. Larry David is Cogswell. It's an industry espionage thriller, with Matt Damon and Marky Mark playing reformed thieves trying to sneak off with the latest Sprocket designs, with the help of their sexy sassy robot Rosie, played by Michelle Rodriguez.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Here's a quick synopsis. Zuckerberg was a douche before he had a billion dollars.
...and the $billion healed that up?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2010, 06:36 PM

Saw it last week, pretty damn good movie. I knew from the beginning it wouldn't be a real documentary, but I expect "Hollywoodization" in nearly every U.S.-movie. Since I didn't care about online communities or that little brat Zuckerberg, I had no idea about the background stories of Facebook. The Social Network explains these very well, I can recommend it. See also Roger Ebert's review here: The Social Network :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2010, 06:10 PM

It's a fantastic movie, though definitely not a feel-good movie. It's stressful to watch, from the beginning to the end you are bombarded with unlikeable characters and personal tension non-stop.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2010, 11:07 PM

I thought it was a very well made movie, especially considering they jump around quite a lot chronologically in the timeline. I was expecting a 'made for tv' experience similar to Pirates of Silicon valley, but was pleasantly surprised with the much better production values. The acting was.....pretty darn good(even timberlake), the script was top notch, the movie was very well edited and the soundtrack was very fitting. I would go so far as to say this is the first 'tech based movie' that got proper treatment (even considering Pirates of silicon valley). The quality is akin to Beautiful Mind.

I dont know much about the back story or personalities involved. But overall the story hung together very well and held my attention very well. Surprisingly i hadn't even heard about it, and it's seen a very limited release here, but im glad i did.

On a more personal note...as a CS graduate, i thought the portrayal of college life from the perspective of a 'computer nerd' surprisingly truthful. Usually we/they are portrayed negatively (like in Big Bang Theory), but i think this movie captured the experience very well. (everything from the relentless logic, talking at a million words per minute, social awkwardness, desire to prove oneself, etc).

Disclaimer: i only recently(less than a month) gave in to peer pressure and joined facebook.

So yeah, go watch this movie.

Trailer here:
YouTube - The Social Network red band trailer - At UK Cinemas 15 October 2010

Enjoy!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 14, 2010, 02:44 PM

Very good points, Hawkeye!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 10:31 AM

Spoiler:
This clip from the movie is just plain awesome: YouTube - Watch Armie Hammer in a clip from The Social Network

Cheers

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2010, 12:18 AM

What a prick towards the angel investors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules