Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App to change iTunes song name to Finder name?

App to change iTunes song name to Finder name?
Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2006, 10:03 AM

Looking for an application to use the 'File Names' (as seen in the Finder) of MP3's/M4A's as the 'Name' as seen in iTunes.

Example i have a bunch of mix's named in title case as viewed in the Finder:

Grooverider Darkside 98 mix.mp3

In iTunes the name is :

DARKSIDE_1998_@_RAVE_NATION_DJ_GROOVERIDER

I want iTunes to display the exact same file name seen in the Finder. I have not found anything to do what i wish.

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2006, 10:08 AM

a) Give your songs proper ID3-tags in iTunes
b) Afterwards turn on "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" in the Advanced preferences.

Targon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2006, 11:04 AM

Hrm, well i had "Keep iTunes Music folder organized".

What exactly do you mean by "Give your songs proper ID3-tags in iTunes" ?? Do u mean control click a tune and select 'Convert ID3 Tags? If so i selected ID3 Tag version v2.4 from drop down menu clicked ok. , No change at all, even after quitting and relaunching iTunes.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Targon
What exactly do you mean by "Give your songs proper ID3-tags in iTunes" ??
I mean you click on a song to select it then you click onto the title of the song and wait a little bit until an editing box appears. There you type in the correct name of the song. Then you click onto the album name to do the same and type in the correct album name. Same with the artist. Alternatively you select a song and do File->Info and fill out the Info fields with the correct information. With multiple songs selected you can change album and artist for multiple songs at once which might be faster.
With "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" the folders and file names in your iTunes Music folder will then reflect what you have entered into the ID3-tags in iTunes.

Targon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2006, 11:40 AM

Oh yeah i know what your talking about haha, nah but thats not exactly the method i wish to follow. Im talking about a app that will perform this on on 1000+ files in a batch process hahaha. Thanks anywayz

Targon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2006, 01:20 PM

i found an app, TriTag seems to do what i need on mp3 but not m4a.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I mean you click on a song to select it then you click onto the title of the song and wait a little bit until an editing box appears. There you type in the correct name of the song..

What if the line is blank for the song? itunes won't let me highlight the area to edit. This happens occasionally when I was ripping songs from my cds to my hardrive. I have about a half a dozen songs with no titles and can't figure out how to get the edit box back.

Also, how can you select multiple songs and then only type the artist's name once and have them all be named correctly?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
What if the line is blank for the song? itunes won't let me highlight the area to edit. This happens occasionally when I was ripping songs from my cds to my hardrive. I have about a half a dozen songs with no titles and can't figure out how to get the edit box back.
It should still work if the Title field is blank. Just click once to select the song, then click in the the Title part of the highlighted line. You should see a very narrow box with a cursor in it, where you can start typing.
Also, how can you select multiple songs and then only type the artist's name once and have them all be named correctly?
Select them all, then type Command-I. You'll see a warning asking whether you want to edit multiple tracks' info at once. When you say yes, you'll get an info dialog with checkboxes. Anything checked will apply to every song, and unchecked fields won't be changed (if you start typing in a field, it automatically gets checked).

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2006, 12:32 PM

Thanks Slug. But when the line is blank it does not let me select the title field. I've tried so many times. I've successfully titled most all of my songs, but I can't do these blank ones.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 01:16 PM

You might need to click at the very left side of the title area. If you can't get it to work just use the Info dialog.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 03:58 PM

I thought you needed to click at the left edge of the title, like TETENAL said, but I actually checked right before writing that last post, and I had no trouble getting the edit box by clicking within a half-inch or so of the edge. On the other hand, I was editing the Comment and Album fields, since I don't seem to have any untitled songs.

Oddly enough, I can't seem to edit any of my tracks to have empty titles, either. If I can figure out how to do so, perhaps I'll try to duplicate your problem.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 04:26 PM

Stop stealing music and you won't have this problem.

Or at least steal properly tagged music.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 05:45 PM

A lot of music I've legitimately downloaded from bands' webpages have been improperly tagged.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2006, 08:39 PM

Assuming you're on a Mac, you want this script from Doug's Applescript page:

Track Names to Song Names

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Stop stealing music and you won't have this problem.

Or at least steal properly tagged music.
I've purchased The Birth Of Soul : The Complete Atlantic Rhythm & Blues Recordings, 1952-1959 [BOX SET] and the CDs were far from tagged well. I had to go back and manually correct some of the album titles.

It's not complaining (it's much faster than the alternative), but it's far from perfect.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 09:13 AM

The problems I'm having are from my store bought CDs that I'm importing.
I cannot get the blank link to show the edit box no matter where I click! It's so weird that it's only a handful of songs. I try reloading them and the same thing happens.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 01:54 PM

Did you try getting info (command I) on the tracks?

Forum Links
Forum Rules