Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Growl customization???

Growl customization???
eme
Oct 12, 2004, 03:32 AM

To start: http://growl.info

is anyone trying to customize this app?? i like the bevels, but the bubble notifications doesnt look so nice... who knows how to customize those????

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 06:39 AM

Me too, I wanna know.

Growl rocks hard, and while more notification styles are promised, I'm not sure how long I can wait! Luckily for the time being the bezel notifications are consistent with the existing system notifications (ie. volume/brightness) so that keeps me happy.

For anyone who's interested: Growl + QuickSilver can replace Synergy/Butler/etc, and both apps are free. Oh and Growl works very nicely with Adium too!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

ambush
Banned
Oct 12, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by eme:
To start: http://growl.info

is anyone trying to customize this app?? i like the bevels, but the bubble notifications doesnt look so nice... who knows how to customize those????
I think a built in customization solution (i.e. skins) is on the to do list.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 12:05 PM

Build it from source, you'll have 4 themes to choose from.

Mac Guru

eme  (op)
Oct 12, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Build it from source, you'll have 4 themes to choose from.

Mac Guru
just tried it, but didn't see anything new... i built and replaced the growl.prefpane with the one built, am i doing something wrong??

ambush
Banned
Oct 12, 2004, 08:58 PM

I take it's hard coded?

maybe take the theme files from source and swap them in the bundle resources?

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by siMac:
Me too, I wanna know.

Growl rocks hard, and while more notification styles are promised, I'm not sure how long I can wait! Luckily for the time being the bezel notifications are consistent with the existing system notifications (ie. volume/brightness) so that keeps me happy.

For anyone who's interested: Growl + QuickSilver can replace Synergy/Butler/etc, and both apps are free. Oh and Growl works very nicely with Adium too!
How does one get it to do this? I've been looking around and seeing all these amazing things that QS can supposedly do, but I can't figure out how to do 'em!

eme  (op)
Oct 13, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by moofman:
How does one get it to do this? I've been looking around and seeing all these amazing things that QS can supposedly do, but I can't figure out how to do 'em!
download the growl plugin for qs
get the itunes plugin for qs
in the itunes plugin preferences check 'monitor recent tracks' and 'display notifications'
go to the helpers pane in qs preferences and set growl as the notification app

there are some plugins that let you use the synergy/clutter/sofa/other album art... and if you use adium 'get info' the app file from finder, open the plugins section and check the growl.adiumplugin to use it for displaying itunes notifications... also check the growl preferences

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by eme:
just tried it, but didn't see anything new... i built and replaced the growl.prefpane with the one built, am i doing something wrong??
First, Delete the prefpane, and the Framework.... then reintall.

You need Subversion installed for this installation:
In the terminal, type:

When it's done, type:

Code:
svn co
Code:
cd growl
Code:
make && make install
The last command will build the prefpane and the new framework file AND install them, plus it will activate growl. All you'll need to do is open the pref pane and modify your settings, and activate the apps you need it to work with.

It worked for me, I hope it works for you.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 10:52 AM

Thanks for that, Mac Guru.

Anyone else not getting the "Smoke" style notifications to work?

K++
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
I think a built in customization solution (i.e. skins) is on the to do list.
Trust me, It's not. As far as themes go only seperate display Plugins and their preferences will be added. In the current svn source tree there are 4 useful display types: Bubbles, Smoke, Bezel, and Music Video. 2 Demonstration types: MailMe, and NSLogging. If you wanna make your own, you can look at NSLogging for the bare minimum to make a display plugin. Then at any of the ones in the Display Plugins.xcode project for inspiration/guidance.

Lead Programmer, Growl

eme  (op)
Oct 14, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
First, Delete the prefpane, and the Framework.... then reintall.

You need Subversion installed for this installation:
In the terminal, type:

When it's done, type:

Code:
svn co
Code:
cd growl
Code:
make && make install
The last command will build the prefpane and the new framework file AND install them, plus it will activate growl. All you'll need to do is open the pref pane and modify your settings, and activate the apps you need it to work with.

It worked for me, I hope it works for you.
THANK YOU!!

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 02:22 PM

To get Growl (from source) you need Subversion, which needs Darwin Ports, which needs CVS, which needs XCode.....

Dammit, I'll just wait for the next release.

solbo
Oct 14, 2004, 03:35 PM

To get Growl (from source) you need Subversion, which needs Darwin Ports, which needs CVS, which needs XCode.....

Just download the prebuilt binaries.

eme  (op)
Oct 14, 2004, 03:51 PM

see the instructions for getting subversion:

http://www.adiumx.com/development.php

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 04:22 PM

OK, installed Subversion from installer, checked out latest (560) Growl source, but I'm falling at the final hurdle:

-bash: make: command not found

I'm guessing this is the bit where I need XCode, right? Dammit!

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 11:19 PM

Ya, you need xcode for make and gcc. It's like 350 mb from connect.apple.com.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 11:41 PM

http://growl.info/documentation/grow...ce-install.php is for installing Growl from source. It should apply to both the source on the web site (which is the source for .5) and also to the svn repo source.

http://growl.info/documentation/svn-install.php is a link to the svn installation howto (pretty much the same as the adium one as I wrote both basically )

http://homepage.mac.com/martinott/ for a prepackaged svn installer. This is the client installer, not much else.

You must have svn and xcode installed in order to build Growl from the svn repo.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by K++:
Trust me, It's not. As far as themes go only seperate display Plugins and their preferences will be added. In the current svn source tree there are 4 useful display types: Bubbles, Smoke, Bezel, and Music Video. 2 Demonstration types: MailMe, and NSLogging. If you wanna make your own, you can look at NSLogging for the bare minimum to make a display plugin. Then at any of the ones in the Display Plugins.xcode project for inspiration/guidance.

Lead Programmer, Growl

As to customizing the ones we have now, they are starting to become customizable. Priority was implemented last night or the night before, and Smoke is currently taking advantage of it. Here I have a medium priority Smoke notification for GrowlTunes (note the purple color, yellow is high, and red is emergency for me)

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 04:58 AM

That's what I thought. XCode is only available to developers and I'm not one, so I'll be eagerly awaiting the next Growl release...

Keep up the excellent work!

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 09:25 AM

That's what I thought. XCode is only available to developers and I'm not one, so I'll be eagerly awaiting the next Growl release...

Keep up the excellent work!

Actually, they are free for everyone.

Just register for a account there if you don't have one, then you log in. You can then download the xcode tools.

Or you can wait for the next release

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 09:48 AM

Yes, I just found that out and I am downloading it as I type this, however with 372Mb to download at less than 4k a second (it's Apple's network that's slow, mine's 2mb ADSL) it might be quicker to wait for the next Growl release!

Plus from what I read, if my download gets interrupted (which it might well do, see here) I won't be able to resume and will have to start again from scratch! Dammit!

Thanks anyway.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 04:07 PM

Yes, I just found that out and I am downloading it as I type this, however with 372Mb to download at less than 4k a second (it's Apple's network that's slow, mine's 2mb ADSL) it might be quicker to wait for the next Growl release!

Plus from what I read, if my download gets interrupted (which it might well do, see here) I won't be able to resume and will have to start again from scratch! Dammit!

Thanks anyway.
You can choose another mirror usually. Look at the top of the downloads page for selections.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 05:23 PM

Thank you! That hadn't occured to me. Turns out I can get thirty times the download rate transatlantically! Who would have thunk it...

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 05:28 PM

Thank you! That hadn't occured to me. Turns out I can get thirty times the download rate transatlantically! Who would have thunk it...
If you are using the uk/europe mirror, I think it's on a fractional t1, heh.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 07:16 PM

I don't know what that is but as a European Apple customer I'm used to getting second class service.

One more question, is it possible to choose the position of the Smoke notification like it is with the Bezel style or is it always in the top right?

Thanks again for all your help.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 07:48 PM

I don't know what that is but as a European Apple customer I'm used to getting second class service.
I've heard about it. One friend had to deal with Apple to a point that he'll never get a mac again. Ever.

One more question, is it possible to choose the position of the Smoke notification like it is with the Bezel style or is it always in the top right?

Thanks again for all your help.

Not currently. That's one thing that will take a whole bunch, as Smoke and Bubbles and the rest need to be aware of each other, so that they can be used at the same time without marching into the area the other is trying to use.

And hence why we have a lot of releases to go

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 07:01 AM

OK thanks.

Heh heh, 50,000th GUI Customization post!

Edited to include proof.

Forum Links
Forum Rules