Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Easiest way to convert DVD's audio track to multiple AAC files?

Easiest way to convert DVD's audio track to multiple AAC files?
Crush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 05:23 PM

Well, the title said it. I have a few concert DVDs and I'd like to listen to them on my iPod.

Obviously I need to convert the audio track into something the iPod understands and can fit in there

Is there an easy way to convert the audio by the songs as opposed to one big file and preferably into AAC?

I tried searching, but didn't come up with precisely the stuff... Anyone with experience with this sort of thing? I know you're out there..
1GHz 12" PB/SD/768/80/APE
400MHz iMac DV Blueberry/384/60/AP/BT
1st generation iPod 10GB
SE T610
Canon Digital Ixus

PAC-Rat
Dec 10, 2003, 05:52 PM

You need to demux the .vob file on the dvd (assuming this is a video dvd, not just audio). You can get the vob off the dvd with DVDBackup. Then you can demux the vob with Extractor or BBDemux. Extractor will allow you to just save the ac3 file, while BBDemux will extract both the m2v and ac3 files.
Next you need to convert the ac3. I use bd4go, a simple ac3 to aiff converter. Once the audio is an aiff file, it can be converted to mp3 or aac with itunes.

Hope that helps.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 06:23 PM

other decryption apps like 0SEx or YADE will demux while decrypting. With bbDemux you can just hit cancel for the video if you don't want it. mAC3Dec can encode from ac3 straight to aac (wrapped in a mov, I don't know if ipod can read this). mAC3Dec also has batch encoding over bd4go, and the latest version is no longer any slower than bd4go

PAC-Rat
Dec 10, 2003, 06:35 PM

True.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

FozzieUK
Dec 11, 2003, 04:33 PM

Just play the DVD on a DVD player and record the audio out in your audio line in, there is software for recording your old albums you could use.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by FozzieUK:
Just play the DVD on a DVD player and record the audio out in your audio line in, there is software for recording your old albums you could use.
You could also use something like Wiretap to capture the sound and then convert to AC3.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Crush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
You could also use something like Wiretap to capture the sound and then convert to AC3.
D'oh! I already have WireTap! Never used it much, though. I'll have to find out what output it produces.

I already had some trouble with some PCM audio...

But thanks everyone!
1GHz 12" PB/SD/768/80/APE
400MHz iMac DV Blueberry/384/60/AP/BT
1st generation iPod 10GB
SE T610
Canon Digital Ixus

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Crush:

I already had some trouble with some PCM audio...
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...78#post1741978

incidentally, recording the audio live will take about 6 times longer and introduce more noise than converting the digital files directly. Unless you only want small parts of it and it's not obvious which files contain those parts

Forum Links
Forum Rules