Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Screen Brightness

MBP Screen Brightness
cmb2874
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2006, 03:43 AM

I own a MBP 2.16ghz, 2GB Ram, 7200rpm HD. I sold my secondary studio machine which was a dual 2.7 G5. I have had the MBP for about a week and yesterday when I was moving some files over from my 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 and the screen of the powerbook was brighter than the MBP, both at full brightness. Now from my understanding the new MBPs should have a much brighter screen than the latest revision of the powerbooks and also comparable to Apple Cinema Displays. I have a 23" Cinema Display and it is no where close to the brightness of it either.

I guess my question is; has anyone else noticed this? Is this a known issue?

cmb

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 04:33 AM

Sounds like your MBP backlight is defective.

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 08:39 PM

yeah, I'd schedule an appointment with the mac jerk, i mean genius. my mbp is nice and bright.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2006, 09:20 PM

My MBP screen is so bright, there is no way I can use it at full brightness without wearing sunglasses.

Can you find a friend with a MBP to compare it with? Or bring it to Apple Store.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

trowa barton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 01:48 AM

Do you have "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" on your display preferences?

The brightness of the display adjusts to the light around you. I find the MBP display to be much brighter than my Titanium PowerBook 1Ghz. it is sharper and a lot brighter. The contrast ratio is comparable to the cinema displays. The whites and blacks just pop out and color is very vivid. I couldn't be happier with this display.

Check to see if you have that setting on, I would compare the 2 displays in complete darkness. If you still find the Powerbook to be brighter send it back to Apple.
.: trowa
.: Powerbook G4 1GHz|1GB RAM|Superdrive|60 Gb HD|Airport

quilmes
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 03:47 PM

I use my laptop w/o being plugged in about 90% of the time, but the settings automatically dull the screen when it is not plugged in to save energy. Any experts out there that have figured out the ultimate adjustment settings?

Forum Links
Forum Rules