Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B&W 350 startup problem

B&W 350 startup problem
XRA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2001, 06:15 PM

The problem is it won't start up. It powers up, the disk starts spinning, and that's it. No startup chime, nothing on monitor. This has never happened to me before, so I don't know where to start. Could it be a bad HD? Or what else? Nothing is disconnected, all RAM is in place, video card is seated.

Thanks for any and all help

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: XRA ]

XRA  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2001, 07:32 PM

Just an update. I took an extra HD out of my QS(used to be in the B&W)with OS X on it and switched it with the one in the B&W. Still no chime, only power-up with the HD spinning. I don't think it's a HD problem since the one I know is good doesn't work either. So what could it be?

Thanks

XRA  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2001, 08:35 PM

I just removed all the RAM and replaced it one by one, no go. I also replaced the original CPU with a G4/450 ZIF upgrade; zilch, nothing. Any ideas here?

Thanks

H�rnchen
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2001, 07:44 AM

Have you tried to reset the motherboard?
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

XRA  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by H�rnchen:
<STRONG>Have you tried to reset the motherboard?</STRONG>
You're talking about the CUDA switch right? If so, yeh I did that already. Thanks for the reply.

trowa barton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 01:00 PM

XRA,

The exact same problem just happened to me on my B&W G3 450. It's your motherboard. It is probably dead and you will probably need to get a new one. If you are still under warranty Apple will replace it if not, it will cost you anywhere from $600 to $650 to get a new motherboard. Pretty steep. I decided not to do it. What really sucks is I just bought a G4 upgrade card and PCi Radeon card to put in my machine.

For $700 or so (including technician cost) I could use that to buy a new G4 or G5 in January. I decided to wait it out.

trowa
.: trowa
.: Powerbook G4 1GHz|1GB RAM|Superdrive|60 Gb HD|Airport

XRA  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by trowa barton:
<STRONG>XRA,

The exact same problem just happened to me on my B&W G3 450. It's your motherboard. It is probably dead and you will probably need to get a new one. If you are still under warranty Apple will replace it if not, it will cost you anywhere from $600 to $650 to get a new motherboard. Pretty steep. I decided not to do it. What really sucks is I just bought a G4 upgrade card and PCi Radeon card to put in my machine.

For $700 or so (including technician cost) I could use that to buy a new G4 or G5 in January. I decided to wait it out.

trowa</STRONG>
FYI, I was looking on eBay the other day and found a couple for around $70. Of course, they're not new, but if I could eek some more life out of this baby I'd be happy. I only paid $640 for it, so I'm not gonna get a new MB for the same price. I t just makes me mad because I tried to sell it to help pay for this new QS/867 sitting next to me; I guess I could always part it out. I also bought a G4 upgrade card and a ton of memory for it. Oh well.

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2001, 09:11 AM

The exact same thing happened to my Blue and White 350! It wouldnt chime for like 3 days after trying everything, and then I tried it out of exasperation while waiting on my QS 867 and it worked!

Out of the blue it just worked. Of course I did not cancel my QS, but instead I gave my BW to my best friend who has been using it non stop since Thanksgiving with no problems. I tried everything you did, ram, cuda, pci, everything. I have no explanation for why it stopped working or why it still works.

I suggest just leaving it unplugged for a few days and then trying it again. No guarantee's, but it worked for me.

Dr Evil
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 10:28 AM

I had same problem three times since I bought the Yosemite (B&W 350 rev.B) on 99' summer. I suggest you discharg the static power, this way: (reseting motherboard)
unplug the Mac
remove (take off) the battery�s motherboard
plug in the Mac
start up the Mac about ten seconds
turn off the Mac
unplug the Mac
put the battery in motherboard
plug in the Mac
start up the Mac

An Apple support member told it to me via phone, but it was in Spain, you can think what you want :-D

As Dr Evil said, my G3 don�t chimes for two or three days, sure I tried everything.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 03:42 PM

Hi,

My B/W 350 also sometimes does the same. After much mucking about I found that it only does it with the radeon card installed (in 66MHz) slot. If I remove it it is ok, then on reinstalling it is ok for a little while.

superlarry
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 01:06 AM

same happened to me.. it was the processor. f***bags charged my parents $700 for a new one (their estimate when they thought it was the motherboard.. i hate techies).

Forum Links
Forum Rules