Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > 10.1.3 and RtCW

10.1.3 and RtCW
The Dude
Banned
Feb 20, 2002, 09:58 AM

After upgrading, I had to reinstall RtCW because it went south entirely. So after I reinstall, mousing is horrible and the FPS level has gone into the toilet.

Is this just something on my end or are other people getting it to?

Aragorn
Feb 20, 2002, 11:02 AM

Do you have a utility called PTH clock? If so that needs to be deleted from startup. That screwed me up. Once I deleted it I was fine though.

Aragorn

trowa barton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 12:09 PM

I'm having the same problems. i don't have a utllity called PTH Clock. did a search with sherlock. The game is almost unplayable on my dual 450. Before the 10.1.3 update it was running smoothly.

I did notice that my Logitech mouse is a lot faster in OSX now. Looks like they changed the mouse driver or something.

In RTCW the mouse crawls, and my FPS as well as my ping (on a T1) are horrible now.

Well, guess I have to wait for the official release to play this. don't know if I can wait that long though
.: trowa
.: Powerbook G4 1GHz|1GB RAM|Superdrive|60 Gb HD|Airport

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2002, 12:30 PM

I think I'll wait to upgrade to 10.1.3. I have to play RTCW...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

raia
Feb 21, 2002, 01:12 AM

yep, 10.1.3 definitely killed the mousing speed in the game. was hoping it was just me, but i guess not.

--
raia

The Dude  (op)
Banned
Feb 21, 2002, 03:42 AM

::clears throat::

****!

G'damn Apple. I hope they issue one more test for us to hold us over until the final appears on shelves.

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 10:44 AM

Still works fine on my iBook. I think it's not Apples fault... Perhaps you need to check for some kind of conflict

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2002, 01:15 AM

After 10.1.3 was installed RTCW became unplayable.
Hard to explain, but after entering a game, the screen would flash between the graphics and white areas where there should be landscapes, almost like where the polygon edges should be...
QS733
GF2MX

grrrrrrr.
UT and Red Faction both are still working.
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 07:05 PM

Hum, sounds like what happened to me when I Overclocked my machine to 600mhz. But it's still very playible, FPS not effective. Distance is a bit hard to make shots and stuff. But better nothing.

iSoldier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 08:19 PM

RTCW is a Cocoa version that was not optimized. It was designed though to run in 10.1. It was intended for 10.1.3. The fact that the game doesn't run /well in 10.1.3 is not Apples fault. Besides the actual game is not going to be a Cocoa port. It's going to be a Carbon port. So that's the reason they haven't released a newer demo yet. Just wait and buy the real game.
This signiture is currently under contruction!

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 11:23 PM

Yuck Carbon.....

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2002, 09:47 AM

mouse speed sucks for me ONLY in the menus... including the limbo one. I set my look speed up real high tho so that It is playable...

-Owl

<Dan P>
Feb 24, 2002, 02:29 PM

I've been playing on a G3 300Mhz machine with a Radeon vid card. Game has been playable but really taxes my system. With the 10.1.3 update my mousing has become very slow, no frame rate hit as far as I can tell.

Here is how I fixed it. Find the file named wolfconfig_mp.cfg. It's in the following location ~/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein/Demomain. (~ is your home directory, not the main library)

Open the file in TextEdit and find the following line:

seta sensitivity "30.000000"

Change it to: seta sensitivity "45.000000" (you can change this number to just about anything, I've tried as high as 90 but just spin in circles with a small mouse movement. )

Save the file. Control click the file and choose get info. Click the Locked button and close the window. You do not need to do this step but if you change the mouse sensitivity in the game it will change this file and you will have to start all over again. Any other changes you make in the game will not be saved with this file locked.

I hope this works for all of you, just remember to back up the file first before making any modifications.

Good luck and happy fragging!

Dan

<Dan P>
Feb 24, 2002, 02:33 PM

I forgot to mention 1 thing.

The above mod only works in game, it won't speed up the mousing in the selecting portion (where you select the servers, Soldier, Medic, ect.).

Just while actually playing.

Dan

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 02:46 AM

Thanks, I'll try it out.

<superd2>
Feb 25, 2002, 03:54 AM

Not to sound trite, but did any of you remember to reset the mouse speen in the Preferences od the system, I found that the mouse speed had declined significantly after I installed X.1.3, but realized a while later that it had reset quite a few of my settings.

Dave

The Dude  (op)
Banned
Feb 25, 2002, 09:03 AM

Just thought I'd throw in an update for you all.

I've downgraded to 10.1.2 and everything has returned to normal. I'll upgrade to 10.1.3 or whatever the newest version of OS X is when RtCW get's on the shelves.

<T'hain Esh Kelch>
Feb 25, 2002, 09:31 AM

Since you downgraded, is there any noticeable FPS hit ?

roders
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 10:05 AM

I guess this doesn't help anyone much but after installing 10.1.3 on my Dp800 GF3 everythings just the same in RTCW, works like a charm.

The Dude  (op)
Banned
Feb 25, 2002, 10:55 AM

FPS hit? Nah, it's gone straight back to the way it was prior to upgrading to 10.1.3. That is to say I'm getting REALLY good FPS readings.

Paso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Dan P&gt;:
<STRONG>I've been playing on a G3 300Mhz machine with a Radeon vid card. Game has been playable but really taxes my system. With the 10.1.3 update my mousing has become very slow, no frame rate hit as far as I can tell.

Here is how I fixed it. Find the file named wolfconfig_mp.cfg. It's in the following location ~/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein/Demomain. (~ is your home directory, not the main library)

Open the file in TextEdit and find the following line:

seta sensitivity "30.000000"

Change it to: seta sensitivity "45.000000" (you can change this number to just about anything, I've tried as high as 90 but just spin in circles with a small mouse movement. )

Save the file. Control click the file and choose get info. Click the Locked button and close the window. You do not need to do this step but if you change the mouse sensitivity in the game it will change this file and you will have to start all over again. Any other changes you make in the game will not be saved with this file locked.

I hope this works for all of you, just remember to back up the file first before making any modifications.

Good luck and happy fragging!

Dan

</STRONG>
Thank you! This solved the problem for me! Excellent! I had to tune up my 65.000 and it was like under X.1.2 !
No probs with the FPS under X.1.3 here...

trowa barton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2002, 05:37 PM

The Dude,

How did you downgrade from 10.1.3? Is there a way to do it without re-initializing my hard drive?

even with the tip from Dan P, my mouse just doesn't behave the way it used to under 10.1.2. The speeds are still erratic from game to game. Even when I locked the wolfconfig_mp.cfg

Has anyone talked to id/Aspyr/Activision about a fix or a new test demo? It's painful to start up the RTCW demo and have to move my mouse 3 feet just to get to the other side of my screen. Plus the fact that we don't know when the final will ever be released.

*sigh* Sorry for the rant. I guess i am just a little frustrated.

- trowa
t r o w a on RTCW
.: trowa
.: Powerbook G4 1GHz|1GB RAM|Superdrive|60 Gb HD|Airport

The Dude  (op)
Banned
Feb 26, 2002, 11:21 AM

The way to downgrading in mac os x is very simple, and it goes like this:

Get a Mac OS X install disk (say a 10.1 disk), install 10.1 on the partition you wish to downgrade, and voila! That's it. Everything remains intact and you are running 10.1 (as opposed to x.0.1, 2, or 3).

From there you can upgrade to 10.1.2 which jives oh so well with RtCW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules