Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrade 8500 or buy a Blue/White G3??

Upgrade 8500 or buy a Blue/White G3??
jedi2187
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 07:43 PM

Hmmm...don't know if you posted a statement or forgot to, but if it helps you any, I've got a G3 Blue and white for sale coming up.
I personally prefer the B/W because of the expandability (3+ IDE hard drives), ready for OSX and upgradable to a G4 (not that the 8500 can't be).

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 11:31 PM

The B&W has a 100 MHz system bus vs. 40-50 MHz bus for the 8500. That alone will make a huge difference. Factor into your thinking that Sonnet is set to release a dual-processor G4 upgrade for the B&W very soon.

jasonyates
Nov 27, 2002, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I don't know where my original post went. My 8500 is very nicely equipped now, and of course I would still keep it around if I got a Blue and White. I guess I was just trying to decide if it would be worth the extra money to get a newer system or if I would see enough of a performance increase just from a processor upgrade in the 8500. I like the 8500 and I am pretty sentimental about the good old PowerPC 604e, it is just starting to seem a little sluggish for some things..

-Jason

Scoo
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Factor into your thinking that Sonnet is set to release a dual-processor G4 upgrade for the B&W very soon.
When? Source? Thanks!
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 10:14 AM

I was nagging Sonnet about this and after several emails they finally answered with the info I posted. Another forum member confirmed that he had gotten the same response. Unfortunately Sonnet has yet to give us a firm date for the appearance of upgrades, but a month ago when I emailed them, they said "within the next quarter." I'm personally giving them until MWSF until I deem them officially "Full of Sh*t."

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 10:57 AM

if you do get a B&W get a REV 2 you can tell the difference between rev 1 and rev 2 by the # on the chipset go to:
www.xlr8yourmac.com
and look up info, the rev 2 does not have the data corruption issues the rev 1 has when using more than 1 HD. and also make sure the firewire ports work. some B&W's had issues with the firewire ports not working and some people had to resort to using pci cards for firewire
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Forum Links
Forum Rules