Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Who Purchased a New Powermac , Which model?

Who Purchased a New Powermac , Which model?
DinoG4
Banned
Feb 1, 2003, 10:05 PM

Dual 1.25 here Purchase 1/28....Love it, wicked fast, and is quiet

coolmac
Feb 1, 2003, 10:36 PM

Is this the new Powermac dual 1.25gig, or is a left over dual 1.25.

Reason I'm asking is the new ones are supposed to be much quieter.

geekwagon
Senior User
Feb 2, 2003, 12:52 AM

I just bought one of the new dual 1.25s. I am upgrading from a MDD dual 867 and this thing is MUCH quiter. Not to mention FASTER I can't believe how much faster than the 867 this thing is. I wasn't expecting that much of a difference.

The only odd things are that the hard drive is really loud (typical Seagate seek noises) and that every once in a while, I hear a fan spin up a bit and it makes a kind of wierd clicking noise for a few minutes. Then it stops. Hasn't bothered me a bit.

superfula
Senior User
Feb 2, 2003, 03:46 AM

I ordered the new dual 1.25 as well, back on the 29th. The order is still open (processing) and it's supposed ship on or before Feb 4, with 2nd day shipping.

What's taking so long!

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2003, 06:05 AM

I ordered a new 1.25GHz with a SuperDrive and an Airport Extreme card. Still waiting though. How much better than a Blue & White 350MHz PowerMac? (almost 4 years old!) I can't wait for the box to arrive!

The reports on the boards seem pretty positive, especially about the noise of the fans.

DinoG4  (op)
Banned
Feb 2, 2003, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by coolmac:
Is this the new Powermac dual 1.25gig, or is a left over dual 1.25.

Reason I'm asking is the new ones are supposed to be much quieter.

I mentioned I ordered it 1/28....This was Tuesday the day they launched the new ones!

DinoG4  (op)
Banned
Feb 2, 2003, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
I just bought one of the new dual 1.25s. I am upgrading from a MDD dual 867 and this thing is MUCH quiter. Not to mention FASTER I can't believe how much faster than the 867 this thing is. I wasn't expecting that much of a difference.

The only odd things are that the hard drive is really loud (typical Seagate seek noises) and that every once in a while, I hear a fan spin up a bit and it makes a kind of wierd clicking noise for a few minutes. Then it stops. Hasn't bothered me a bit.
Ya, HD noise for sure is noticeable......like you said "typical seagate"

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2003, 08:07 PM

Mine is due to ship on or by the 5th. Monitor and speakers have already arrived and like me can't wait to be fired up!

BTW, how accurate has Apple been with their est ship dates? Should I bother checking status before the 5th?

macbarry
Feb 2, 2003, 09:39 PM

OSX only, dual 1.25 / 120Gb / SuperDrive / BT PowerMac ordered 1/28/02

According to Apple supposed to ship "on or before 2/4/03". I like the "before" part of that statement:-)

I ordered it on the web 3 hrs after the new machines were announced. Called 24 hrs later to check as the order wasn't showing up on the Apple order status page only to find my order had been "sitting in someone's inbox". All is well now... I hope.

My 20" cinema display got here Friday... Interestingly it says right on the box "Requires OSX v 10.2 or later". Isn't this just OSX propaganda? I thought I read somewhere that the 20" monitors are running on OS9 no problem?

superfula
Senior User
Feb 4, 2003, 02:05 AM

Mine hasn't shipped yet, so I guess it's going to be shipped on Feb 4th.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by macbarry:
My 20" cinema display got here Friday... Interestingly it says right on the box "Requires OSX v 10.2 or later". Isn't this just OSX propaganda? I thought I read somewhere that the 20" monitors are running on OS9 no problem?
No, this is not OS X propaganda, at least not 100%. The new 20" screen has a native resolution of 1680x1050 which is not supported by OS 9. Apple would have to modify the system for it to support such a resolution. Since OS 9 is dead, Apple isn't going to make the effort.

However, it is possible that the screen could run lower resolutions supported by the system. I think 1280x800 is such a resolution. It is supported by OS 9 and by the screen. There are reports of people who have got it to work with 9, but I suppose they didn't realize that it wasn't at the native resolution.

Remember, driving a TFT at a resolution other than it's native resolution is not an extremely good quality solution (to be polite). I suppose Apple wanted this to be clear from day one on and therefore said it would only work with Jaguar.

HTH.

gustl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 12:24 PM

in December I purchased my 867DP machine - with Super drive - as I�m only a home user (mainly video editing and office work) I�m absolutely happy with it
In a world without fences and borders,
who needs WINDOWS and GATES...

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 10:28 PM

The last PowerMac I bought was my Dual-GHz just prior to the MDD modles. I got such a deal just before MacWorld New York this past summer that I broke my promise to myself (I was sure I'd wait until the mystical G5 appeared) to make due with my upgraded B&W with the 500 MHz G4 from Sonnet. The lure of Quartz Extreme finally got the better of me. But now I'm swearing again that I'm waiting for the 970-based PowerMacs.

Now, laptops are another story. I just can't seem to say no to a PowerBook. I've had almost a dozen 5300 models (that's a long, sad story. I had them all at once), a 1400, a 2400, two WallStreets, one Pismo, an iBook Dual-USB, a Ti667, the new G4 12" that I'm typing on now, and soon a G4 17". All these in a space of less than 4 years. I have issues.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by DinoG4:
Ya, HD noise for sure is noticeable......like you said "typical seagate"
Seagate makes the quietest drives on the planet. The drives in your machines are most likely IBMers. The Seagate Barracuda ATA IV and V Barracuda series drives are awesomely quiet. http://www.storagereview.com

DrBoar
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 08:35 AM

Dual 1.25 with 17" TFT added 512MB generic RAM and USB pen drive ( time to retires the ZIP disks). Here in Europe the computer is expected to be deliverd in 3-5 weeks. I expect it to be qutie a speed increase over the G3/300 I had the last few months at my former position and way better than the cacheless 6100/60 i suffered with for 8 years or so

That damn 6100 it was a slow computer when it came out and age did not improve it one bit. All the slowly loading web pages, the glacial "speed" of java applications and the slow frame rate in Word, I get upset just thinking about it

OK, I will take a nap and will wake up in 2-5 weeks

geekwagon
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Seagate makes the quietest drives on the planet. The drives in your machines are most likely IBMers. The Seagate Barracuda ATA IV and V Barracuda series drives are awesomely quiet. http://www.storagereview.com
You can't hear it when it is spinning, but you can sure hear it when it moves its heads. Much louder than the IBM that was in there before. It doesn't really bother me at all, though, I'm just saying.

If you don't believe me that it is a Seagate, HERE is a pic of the innards of my machine. You can see that it is the Barracuda V.

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Gotta love it when someone assumes that owners of new machine would never even look under the hood.

C'mon, this is macnn after all, pal.
------
Friend of All Cats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules