Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Cut offs

Cut offs
Eckslusive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2003, 10:57 AM

I have a AP Xtreme and a Linksys G wireless card for my Powermac. I used a hack so it works but sometimes it gets cut off. By cut off I mean it doesn't see the Airport on that icon thingy. I usually have to wait. sometimes for a long time.
Do you think its because
1) Something is interfering it
2) Cause I'm using a linksys card
3) Something else

Camelot
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 12:55 AM

The most likely cause is interference. 802.11b and 802.11g both use the same 2.4GHz frequency as many other devices, most notably 2.4GHz cordless phones.

Is it possible someone else in the house (or a neighbor, given the range of cordless phones) is using a 2.4GHz phone?

If that's the cause there are relatively few solutions. You can try relocating the base station to reduce interference or replace the phone with a 900MHz or a 5.8GHz phone.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Eckslusive  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Camelot:
The most likely cause is interference. 802.11b and 802.11g both use the same 2.4GHz frequency as many other devices, most notably 2.4GHz cordless phones.

Is it possible someone else in the house (or a neighbor, given the range of cordless phones) is using a 2.4GHz phone?

If that's the cause there are relatively few solutions. You can try relocating the base station to reduce interference or replace the phone with a 900MHz or a 5.8GHz phone.
But its wierd cause when someone in the house is using the 2.4Ghz cordless phone, it doesn't cut off. I doubt its the neighbor....
Would it be other base stations from my neighbor? cause when i click on the list, the base station locates another base station, which is not mine.
And how bout a Logitech Cordless Mouse? Would that cause the cut?

photoflow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2003, 01:41 AM

Well, if you have a 2.4Ghz phone (especially a Panasonic), then I bet that's the problem. For my pc notebook, I have a Linksys Wireless G notebook card, and both of my 2.4Ghz Panasonic phones would completely kill the connection most of the time. After the connection went dead, the only way to bring it back to life was to unplug and then reset the wireless router. After dealing with this nightmare for far too long, I have since replaced both 2.4Gzh phones with the 900Mhz variety, and now everything works perfectly and I haven't had to unplug or reset the router since I switched both phones. Problem solved. Thats my two cents.....

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 09:22 PM

Have you tried changing the Airport channel in the Airport Admin Utility?

That solved my problem of my Powerbook not "seeing" the Base station.

I changed to channel 1 and everything works great now.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Eckslusive  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 12:46 AM

Yes I've switched to almost everyone of them and now i am on the one that disconnects the least amount of times. but it still happens..and its sooo annyoing

photoflow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 01:27 PM

I'm tellin' ya, ditch the 2.4Ghz phones.

PreciousBbird
May 7, 2003, 03:52 PM

I'm tellin' ya, ditch the 2.4Ghz phones
Yup - I thought it was my dryer, or my microwave, but it was my darn 2.4 Ghz phone. The 900 is fine, even though I don't like having such old technology near my beautiful Mac. Ever since I retired ol' Uniden 2.4, I have been OK. I have heard rumors that Siemens ($$$$$) and some other common, cheap 2.4 do not cause the problem, but I am fine with the 900.

She's too happy!

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2003, 04:11 PM

Just save your pennies and watch reviews. When you see a glowing review for a 2.4GHz phone that doesn't interfere with 802.11b networking, start looking for that model on sale. As long as you can live with the 900MHz phone, bide your time and aim for an upgrade that will coexist with your AirPort system.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules