Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Netgear wireless and Airport

Netgear wireless and Airport
impact07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 02:10 AM

I just installed a new Netgear wireless router in my home office. Both wired (ethernet) machines are working fine. My iBook (os x.2) is now connecting fine via airport, with 40-bit encryption enabled. However, my wife's older iBook with os9 will not connect. For some reason the network will neither accept the password or the "key" that is generated. Does anyone know how I can configure it to connect?

Thanks!

impact07

PreciousBbird
Jul 3, 2003, 09:19 AM

Hi - I am probably wrong, but did you try entering the "$" in front of the password that was generated? If it is similar to what happened to me, that worked. I learned that here on the Forum from GHPorter or aaanorton. If I misunderstood the problem, sorry to have wasted your time.

Good luck!

She's too happy!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 3, 2003, 10:31 AM

Bird's probably right. The password/network key entry for the iBook needs to be preceded by a '$' to tell the AirPort card to treat the key as hex, rather than text. Give it a try and let us know if it works.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

impact07  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 12:12 PM

Hey, it worked!!!

Thanks for you help!

impact07

PreciousBbird
Jul 3, 2003, 12:15 PM

YEEHAW!!!

I guess I am 'teachable' after all - I have learned so much from this Forum! I must again credit GHPorter because he is the one I learned that from. And I have to use it every month when I change my hex key. Congrats!

She's too happy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules