Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > On startup, CD/DVD tray pops out - how do I make it stop?

On startup, CD/DVD tray pops out - how do I make it stop?
PreciousBbird
Jul 6, 2003, 04:26 PM

I have a G4 867 single (Quicksilver). Whenever I start it or restart it, the CD tray opens. I rarely use the tray and I don't like it opening because I sometimes forget to close it and I am afraid of dust getting in there.

Is there a way to prevent this 'feature'?

Thanks.

She's too happy!

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 08:38 PM

1. don't restart your mac. ever.
2. don't start your mac. ever.
3. disconnect the power to the drive.
4. take it to an apple service centre. get it checked out.

i recommend 4.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by PreciousBbird:
I have a G4 867 single (Quicksilver). Whenever I start it or restart it, the CD tray opens. I rarely use the tray and I don't like it opening because I sometimes forget to close it and I am afraid of dust getting in there.

Thanks.
I have the same problem on my Pismo 500 PowerBook...I thought I was the only one with this problem. It seems to not happen when my Apple Pro Keyboard and Kensington Studio Mouse are not plugged in at startup. What mouse do you have?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
1. don't restart your mac. ever.
2. don't start your mac. ever.
3. disconnect the power to the drive.
4. take it to an apple service centre. get it checked out.

i recommend 4.
For the benefit of Maquero, 1,2 & 3 are jokes.
4 is the real answer.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 09:45 PM

Check the Startup Disk preference pane and make sure your hard drive is selected as the boot drive.

Chris

PreciousBbird  (op)
Jul 6, 2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
I have the same problem on my Pismo 500 PowerBook...I thought I was the only one with this problem. It seems to not happen when my Apple Pro Keyboard and Kensington Studio Mouse are not plugged in at startup. What mouse do you have?
I have a Kensington Wireless Turbo Mouse Pro. Before I take it to the Apple dealer - I will try the mouse that came with the machine, see if that makes a difference.

It's not an earth-shattering problem, just an annoyance, and I knew that this forum would have the answer(s).

Thanks!

She's too happy!

PreciousBbird  (op)
Jul 6, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Check the Startup Disk preference pane and make sure your hard drive is selected as the boot drive.

Chris
Thanks for the suggestion - it is. I often switch between 10.2 and 9.2, so I use that pane fairly often.

She's too happy!

gethigh
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2003, 02:25 AM

I have a Kensington Wireless Turbo Mouse Pro. Before I take it to the Apple dealer - I will try the mouse that came with the machine, see if that makes a difference.

It's not an earth-shattering problem, just an annoyance, and I knew that this forum would have the answer(s).

Thanks!

This also has occured on my 867 Quicksilver, but on an off and on basis. Sometimes it would do it on a start-up sometimes not. I don't think it has ever done it on a reboot, but I never paid attention since it was an off-and-on occurance. However, the more important thing is that I also have a Kensington mouse�a Studio Pro Mouse (non-wireless model).

PreciousBbird  (op)
Jul 7, 2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by gethigh:
However, the more important thing is that I also have a Kensington mouse�a Studio Pro Mouse (non-wireless model).
Hmmmm. This calls for more research. Thank you for the info. If I ever figure it out, I'll post again.

Thanks!

She's too happy!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 08:45 AM

Does the drive open right after the chime? Or is it later in the boot process?

Here's an idea, boot using verbose mode and see if you can figure out what system or driver is loading just before the tray opens.

If it's during login, it could be something in your login items.

Chris

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2003, 04:45 PM

I have the same machine, and had the same problem after I bought a Kensington USB mouse. Problem disappeared when I went back to the Apple mouse. It didn't recur with the Logitech mouse I bought subsequently.

Thanks.

PreciousBbird  (op)
Jul 8, 2003, 10:36 PM

Well I'll be dad-gummed. I went to the Kensington site, downloaded the latest update of MouseWorks for OS X and restarted without the CD tray participating. Yippeeee!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

She's too happy!

Laserbutt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 11:23 PM

My guess would be the Kensington Mouse Drivers. They have recently been updated so you could try installing the latest version of MouseWorks and see if that fixes it. Holding the mouse nutton sown on startup ejects the optical drive that has its jumper setting on master and an early loading mouse driver may replicate this actionn

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 01:52 PM

It's nice to know that they fixed it! Though I do like my Logitech mouse better.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 08:13 PM

I just installed the new drivers and it seems ok now....DAMN I'M SO SMART....glad I brout up the mouse issue...your all welcome...

STEVE
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
Me too, but I have the original iMac mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules